• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
not to hijack, but are there any Doc boots that don't have the yellow stitching? (yeah, I know it's a big part of the look / appeal)

I don't know about boots, but my brown pair of 3-hole oxfords has black stitching.

You could apply some kiwi polish to turn the yellow stitching black.

izlat

Reaction score
thanks - I want the *classic* boots, not with ugly caps or something...

the kiwi would probably wear off? I was thinking about permanent marker but I don't think it wouldlast much either...

I think I have seen normal classic 8 or 12 eyelets w/ white stitches but not sure

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
new monochrome colection is all black or all white.

Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I don't know about boots, but my brown pair of 3-hole oxfords has black stitching.

You could apply some kiwi polish to turn the yellow stitching black.

izlat

Reaction score
^ thanks - I saw it should be arriving at oki ni any time now
smile.gif

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
I want to get some and wear them to work at times without everybody and his grandma knowing what I'm rocking
Some years ago a bootblack smeared black polish all over the stitching (!) on my 1940s before I noticed what he was doing and could stop him. I was not pleased. It took about 8, maybe 10 months for the black color to come out. However, nowadays the thread is back to it's original color, and you can't tell it was ever screwed up.

Do with that information as you will.
smile.gif

kookydooky

Reaction score
GS mind sharing your polishing technique to get the shiney dark look?
smile.gif
Also anyone have tips on cleaning the stitching? the previous owner put black polish over them

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
GS mind sharing your polishing technique to get the shiney dark look?
smile.gif

nothing special....probably de rigeur on SF (esp in MC forum) but this is how *we* did it in the 80s before anyone really made an effort to 'antique' their shoes. obviously it only works with the oxblood/red cherry color, but you just polish it with black. afterwards go back and repolish with cordovan color (maybe even do a round 2). If you polish your Docs after every wear or two, it takes on a nice darker antique look. The black polish takes nicely in the grooves and creases and also mutes down the red color and after a while it has that nice patina. For being correct grain leather, Docs take polish really well

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I couldn't make mine comfortable, the top part/tounge keep digging into my shins, no matter what socks I wore, also there was no support for my foot.

I gave them to a friend.

kookydooky

Reaction score
For the new asian made Docs what does it say on the bottom of the boot instead of made in England?

Do they just remove that part or does it say 'made in china/asia etc'

TylerK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ok1234
any US online retailers carrying the monochrome collection?

I bought them from Oki-ni, delivered within a week if that. They are definitely dope as hell. Well worth it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ok1234
any US online retailers carrying the monochrome collection?

dmusastore.com has the monochromes too, free shipping

they were 25% off the last week of Oct....oh well

freelance robotics

Reaction score
Just got a pair of cherry reds on eBay for just under $75 shipped. Can't wait for 'em to come in, it was taking me forever to find a pair, even at retail price let alone under it.

iwhelan

Reaction score
I just received my pair of "Vintage" 1460 8 hole oxblood Dr. Martens boots. The final price shipped was $127 with a coupon code at a competitor to Zappos, which seems like a great deal to me. I don't see many people wearing Docs like these anymore (I work in Manhattan), but I used to like my Cherry 14 holes with steel toes back in high school (1990's). These 8 holes without steel cap toes are a bit more svelte looking and seem to look great with my Nudie RRDS bootcut jeans. I'm glad I went for the Made In England models because the quality seems pretty good, and I recently tried a pair of 1460s from China at a store in Manhattan.... wow, they were so damned stiff. I can tell already that these MIE ones will break in nicely like the ones I had in high school. I also love the all brown soles and brown laces.... much more subtle than the black/brown sole and black laces.

When I was in college, I bought a pair of the really mean looking 10-hole black cap-toe Dr. Martens with the all-black lugged sole. I thought they were pretty awesome looking on the shelf but unfortunately didn't really find a way to integrate them into my wardrobe, which was heading away from the days of wanting to look like Trent Reznor. I guess I bought them out of nostalgia, but I was too late. Anyway, back on track... I can't be sure, but I think they were probably Chinese manufacture and I remember them being so damned stiff and hard to break in. I ended up giving them to one of my younger brothers because my foot suddenly grew after years of being the same size, and they got uncomfortable.

Anyway, I'm just posting to say that the MIE Doc Martens seem like the way to go if you can find them, and I'm looking forward to wearing my new Oxblood 1460 8-holes.

I also just bought a pair of Clarks brown suede Desert Boots for more spiffy and low key wear, such as work. I guess I'm on a roll with old school English boots.

-Ian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads