• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this cardigan look stylish? And cardigan wearing in general

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Never been a cardigan guy, always thought they looked distinctly old-man, and not in a good way. But saw a few pictures I quite liked so decided to try it out ...

I guess this cardy is a bit big on me. But I think they are supposed to look oversized. Am I heading along the right sort of lines in terms of what to wear this with? I actually like the t-shirt pic best, because I can't help feeling that a cardigan is more something I would wear around the house than out and about, except maybe to pop to the corner shop. Too chunky to really wear under most things apart from the biggest of coats, and not weatherproof enough for an outer layer in my climate! PXL_20220127_135152627.jpg PXL_20220127_134525595~2.jpg PXL_20220127_134831243.jpg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might just be a personal preference, but I think that style of ribbed, bulky cardigan is extremely stylish. I have a new one in black that I've worn over light grey t-shirts and dress shirts. Works both way in my opinion.

Good enough for you know who.

tom-ford-shawl-cardigan-quantum-of-solace.png

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cardigan, like most knitwear, is generally a throw-on piece that keeps you warm in ease and comfort, and that can pare down formal look and elevate casual look. With a V-neckline and front button closure you have the quintessential cardigan, but with different combinations of neckline, collar, closure and style, it becomes a hybrid of shirt, polo shirt, blazer, vest, and etc. It can be as thin as your T-shirt for layering or as chunky as you desire. You can wear it to any and all casual occasions.

Perhaps because of its versatility, comfort and ease older people like to wear them, hence your association of cardigan with old age. But cardigans are made for all ages and aesthetics. Look around what's available on the market before you conclude you are not a cardigan guy.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’re very versatile and can double as both outerwear as well as a alternative to a sweater.

The look always reminds me of every movie shrink helping some troubled teen work through his issues.

pwbower

Reaction score
Like Mr, Rodgers before use, we can trade our jacket for a cardigan to signal not only our transition from public to domestic life, but also our readiness to explore the frontier of our imagination.

rjc149

Reaction score
I love my cardigans, and they're somewhat of a trademark of mine. As mentioned, they are versatile and stylish, filling the role of a pullover, an under layer, a light jacket, and even a sport coat.

They are ideal for layering and thermoregulation, as they can be put on and taken off easily without pulling it over your head and messing up your hair, or simply unbuttoned. You will appreciate this if you're ever seated at a restaurant or in a car and find yourself getting a little warm.

They build up the shoulders much like a sport coat, especially shawl collars, and I don't think there's any setting that calls for a sport coat where a cardigan would be too casual. If it's dressy enough to require a jacket, wear a suit.

I do think the cardigan in your photo is a little big. I like the hem to fall mid-fly on my pants, which will cover any shirt I wear untucked. I don't like shirt tails sticking out below sweaters, but I also don't like my cardigans falling out below a waist-hemmed jacket (like a Harrington etc). I do have longer cardigans that I only wear on their own, or under an overcoat.

For a lighter color cardigan (ie. an Aran cream colored or white), go with a lighter colored shirt. Darker cardigans are the most versatile.

With a regular cardigan collar, opt for either a button-down collared shirt, or a Henley. Avoid polo shirts, as the cardigan will accentuate the unstructured, floppy nature of the polo collar, especially if they drape over the edges of the cardigan's collar. Shawl collars are more forgiving with the type of shirt you wear.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They build up the shoulders much like a sport coat, especially shawl collars, and I don't think there's any setting that calls for a sport coat where a cardigan would be too casual. If it's dressy enough to require a jacket, wear a suit.

I’ll often do this if it’s a bit cool and I want the coziness and warmth of a cardigan but want to maintain the slight elevation in formality provided by a blazer or sport coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads