• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crappy fit from BB MTM GF 3p suit? Update with Samuelsohn...

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions? They screwed up the MTM shirt (left cuff is so tight it won't button at all) so they will remake it.

Last edited:

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a redo by BR or is this a MTM Samuelsohn from HR? also who made the shirt?

This is MTM Samuelsohn. I can't seem to recall the make of the shirt but it was part of their MTM promo as a freebie, it's made in Italy according to the HR rep. I will find out when I go pickup the suit Thursday.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks great. Although the vest is kind of shifting. I get that too: is that from having uneven shoulders?

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Although the vest is kind of shifting. I get that too: is that from having uneven shoulders?

I didn't pay attention to the vest when the photo was taken. I'll double check again on Thursday when I go pick it up. According to most tailors, almost everyone has uneven shoulders. Sleeve lengths are also likely uneven as well for most people.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the suit yesterday. They did not do the surgeon cuffs that the rep agreed to and written down on the order.

The vest seem to be a bit too loose on the armpit area. The back also has lots of extra room. Not sure if this is normal.

Need the suit for this weekend and will drop it off again. They agree to redo the cuffs and take a look at the vest again.

stanchri

Reaction score
I picked up the suit yesterday. They did not do the surgeon cuffs that the rep agreed to and written down on the order.

The vest seem to be a bit too loose on the armpit area. The back also has lots of extra room. Not sure if this is normal.

Need the suit for this weekend and will drop it off again. They agree to redo the cuffs and take a look at the vest again.

definitely a lot of room in the back of the vest. the arm holes also seem rather large from the pictures, but maybe the issue will be lessened by taking in the back.
from your posts it seems it's quite the headache to get a MTM suit done right around here...

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes my friend tells me I have a MTM suit curse.

I understand the vest does not have to be skin tight fit, but as you observed the arm holes are rather large which is bothering me.

SnowSwat

Reaction score
I am starting to think that MTM is not much better than OTR. Perhaps bespoke>>>>MTM>OTR. Given the SAs are doing the measurements there is always an inherent disconnect between them and the cutter/tailor. Especially at this price point I think we're getting screwed in Toronto.

I had a Samuelsohn suit made up at HR in Ottawa. I should be trying on the first iteration sometime next week. Pray for me.

stanchri

Reaction score
I am starting to think that MTM is not much better than OTR. Perhaps bespoke>>>>MTM>OTR. Given the SAs are doing the measurements there is always an inherent disconnect between them and the cutter/tailor. Especially at this price point I think we're getting screwed in Toronto.

I had a Samuelsohn suit made up at HR in Ottawa. I should be trying on the first iteration sometime next week. Pray for me.

I think for the same price point as MTM done here (not sure what Samuelsohn is priced at nowadays, but I'm speaking to BB), one can have a relatively high end maker of RTW, which will arguably have better materials/construction.
If they can't get fit right, which is mostly the reason one would go for a MTM suit, it defeats the entire purpose. I was also thinking about going for a MTM suit, but I think I'm better off finding a maker that fits my shape and taste, then getting the rest tailored.

Hope your Samuelsohn turns out well. Post an update once you've got the results.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason I went MTM is there are no OTR suits that will fit me. I am a 38L but BB only makes 39L or 40L, even then the jackets are too short for me. I have had 3 OTR suits of various brands that were hacked to death and they still don't fit me - you can only alter so much (always the case of - you can always take in but there's not much material, if any to let out).

The Samuelsohn jacket is the best fit by far of anything I've owned.

I only went MTM after careful consideration. It was determined by multiple tailors that there just isn't a right size/fit of suits for my body, but obviously YMMV.

Last edited:

stanchri

Reaction score
The only reason I went MTM is there are no OTR suits that will fit me. I am a 38L but BB only makes 39L or 40L, even then the jackets are too short for me. I have had 3 OTR suits of various brands that were hacked to death and they still don't fit me - you can only alter so much (always the case of - you can always take in but there's not much material, if any to let out).

The Samuelsohn jacket is the best fit by far of anything I've owned.

I only went MTM after careful consideration. It was determined by multiple tailors that there just isn't a right size/fit of suits for my body, but obviously YMMV.

definitely makes sense in your case. glad that at least the Samuelsohn suit turned out well.
I would also suggest for you to try the Ralph Lauren Black Label suits Anthony/Nigel if you have a chance (which recently got absorbed into Ralph Lauren Purple Label). They're made by Caruso in Italy. They make a 38L.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back to HR yesterday and met with Gary, who was very candid about why the vest was too big. After he checked out everything he said he will have them take in the vest, jacket & pants. They will do the surgeon cuff as well like originally agreed. It will be ready in 10 days. Still waiting for the redo MTM shirt but will likely be ready by then as well.

I brought my ill-fitting, slightly too narrow shoulders blazer to him and had a small discussion about ordering a new blazer. He made me try a Samuelsohn 40T blazer and he said he can make it work without going for MTM. Length of the jacket is sufficient unlike BB jackets. I think I'm going to wait for a sale.

SGTROCK

Reaction score
Samuelsohn looks much better. Samuelsohn was my first real suit and still fits like a glove.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads