• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Suit Jacket Fold line wrinkle

CollieBorder

Reaction score
We are moving out, our family maid was helping us pack and clean (maid service is relatively cheap here in HK). I didn't expect her to pack my room, especially my closet since I still need to use it every time.

So today I was at work, she packed all my clothes into moving boxes, including my Zegna mtm suit jacket. The fabric is 44%wool, 23% alpaca, 23% silk, 7% polyam. and 3% cashmere. She folded it in an unusual way. Instead of folding it in half, she folded it from around the armpit in order to fit the box dimension (red line in the picture). There were another 5 layers of other clothes on top of it for a couple of hours until I got home and discovered it.

There was an obvious wrinkle at the armpit area (circle in the picture) and I put it in the shower steam for around 10 minutes. I feel like there is a fold line but couldn't really tell due to its dark color. It could be an imaginary and psychological thing since the suit was very expensive and I love this jacket because the color sort of resembles the famous "blue and white pottery". I was very hurt when I saw it in the box.

Is the armpit wrinkle detrimental since it's still there after the shower steam? Did the fold hurt a lot? Despite I own this expensive mtm suit and treat it like my son, I don't have much experience and knowledge in suits like you people. Hope someone can ease my anxiety.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 12.20.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 12.20.17 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 12.20.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 12.20.32 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 12.20.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 12.20.42 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 113

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not try an iron with a buffer on the jacket material?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is not an issue to be over concerned about. She didn't damage your jacket
Try hanging the jacket on a supportive wood hanger and place a folded towel on each end of the hanger to support the shoulders. Fold the towel in a way that lifts the shoulder until the front of the sleeve hangs straight.
Pressing, not steaming, is the best solution but it is in a tricky area to press. Do you know a tailor that could do this and show you how to do it?
Steaming will not correct this and shouldn't be done. This area of the sleeve is sewn in with fullness that is shrunk to smooth the seam. Steam will undo this and cause bigger problems than anything caused by folding the jacket.

CollieBorder

Reaction score
This is not an issue to be over concerned about. She didn't damage your jacket
Try hanging the jacket on a supportive wood hanger and place a folded towel on each end of the hanger to support the shoulders. Fold the towel in a way that lifts the shoulder until the front of the sleeve hangs straight.
Pressing, not steaming, is the best solution but it is in a tricky area to press. Do you know a tailor that could do this and show you how to do it?
Steaming will not correct this and shouldn't be done. This area of the sleeve is sewn in with fullness that is shrunk to smooth the seam. Steam will undo this and cause bigger problems than anything caused by folding the jacket.

Thanks for the advice. I reached inside the jacket and try to feel the "structure" (idk the term, the seam part of the armhole and shoulder pad) of the left shoulder, it feels softer than the other side, maybe due to the fold.

Maybe I will send it to a nearby tailor to iron it for me.

haloitsme

Reaction score
When a fold would destroy your jacket I would never ever shop at Zegna again. Irony off

Put your jacket on, wear it and hang it as Mentioned. This pump will eventually go out. Would not worry at all.
If too much bother:
Would try press it, not iron it. No steam.

Eventually, you need your jacket to be cleaned at some point, so maybe do it earlier?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads