• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing: a philosophical enquiry

Brian Tweed

Reaction score
Come from behind the veil of cynicism,
and take the discussion in a direction allowing others to learn something worthwhile.
I imagine that you actually have some very well turned ideas about this topic. Insights that you are invested-in.

Courage: go ahead and put them out there. Raise the bar.

Regards.

Brian Tweed

Reaction score
Come from behind the veil of cynicism,
and take the discussion in a direction allowing others to learn something worthwhile.
I imagine that you actually have some very well turned ideas about this topic. Insights that you are invested-in.

Courage: go ahead and put them out there. Raise the bar.

Regards.

mcbrown

Reaction score
This discussion might become more interesting if the OP would actually pose a question or provocative thought, as opposed to saying, "Everyone, please come here and discuss... something."

Brian Tweed

Reaction score
Lead on McDuff. In a direction that you think will be helpful.
You're smart: put good suff out in the world.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Genevieve has a thesis on the table. Even though she is but a cat, I think her thesis is a good jumping off point for discussion.

Brian Tweed

Reaction score
Greetings from the OP:
You're entirely correct. However,
It's worth lingering about the prospect of real content
before we get a serious.

Anyone who does have something to say, I imagine,
would like to see spoilers fall by the wayside before moving into the foresst
of possible sub-topics.

Brian Tweed

Reaction score
Greetings:
See if if you can lay out that thesis with brilliant clarity (jargon free) for
for others, whose viewpoints could benefit from a little encouragement,
and simplicity.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Premise 1: The being or essence of a thing is the idea God had in His mind when he created it.

Premise 2: The idea God had in mind is the best possible idea of the thing. (This follows from God's omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence. That would require a separate argument, of course, but we'll take it for granted here.)

Premise 3: There is no better idea of clothes than "that which can be collected into a heap and peed on." (This is probably the most questionable premise, as it presupposes a strongly feline-centered point of view.)

Conclusion: Therefore, the being or essence of clothing is "that which can be collected into a heap and peed on."

QED.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Conclusion: Therefore, the being or essence of clothing is "that which can be collected into a heap and peed on."

QED.

I take it back - we are getting somewhere here.

Mr. Barker (the dog) disagrees with the view of Genevieve. He would define clothes as that which can be collected in a pile and slept on. If we believe the substance of these views can be restated as "The essence of clothing is 'that which can be collected into a pile for an unspecified canine/feline purpose'" then the competing philosophies are in fact in agreement. If, on the other hand, we believe the point of each statement is reflected in the action itself ("peeing" vs. "sleeping"), then Mr. Barker and Genevieve will never be reconciled.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ran it by Genevieve just now, but she got confused. (She is a cat, so her cognitive capacity is limited.) She couldn't understand why you'd want to sleep and pee on the same thing. (I tried to explain that you could sleep on it, then pee on it, so you wouldn't have to sleep on your own pee. But she fell asleep during the explanation.)

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mr. Tweed,

It isn't that the thread idea is terrible; you can see from my first post on it that I bothered to respond seriously. But your deliberately elevated language, worsened in subsequent posts, is ridiculous and probably is what evoked the cynical and mocking replies.

And now to the heart of the matter:

I have no cat, so I cannot ask her.
I have no dog, so I cannot ask him.
My friends are all nudists,
so I cannot ask them.
So I ask the clothes on my back
and they reply with one word:
"sum"

EDIT: I lied. They didn't stop there. After responding to my query, they proceeded to insult my mother and her ancestry for several minutes before their tirade deteriorated into mumbles and finally incoherence; presumably they fell into a drunken stupor. I know not why they would do such a thing. Perhaps they considered my question imbecilic.

Last edited:

Brian Tweed

Reaction score
Mr. Tweed,

It isn't that the thread idea is terrible; you can see from my first post on it that I bothered to respond seriously. But your deliberately elevated language, worsened in subsequent posts, is ridiculous and probably is what evoked the cynical and mocking replies.

And now to the heart of the matter:

I have no cat, so I cannot ask her.
I have no dog, so I cannot ask him.
My friends are all nudists,
so I cannot ask them.
So I ask the clothes on my back
and they reply with one word
"sum"

Clag,

I think you're view is probably representative of what's out there.
Perhaps you can take the original idea somewhere that suits yourself and others.

For now, I can't see a way forward that is worthwhile.
That's it for me
Good luck to all.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some other socks for you gents to enjoy:

Brian Tweed

Reaction score
Well, I think you'll do better than I could with this thread. If you or anyone else decides to take it
it will be interesting to see if you can make headway, while avoiding the uncivil distractions that I now see were so predictable.

My Best.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

EDIT: I lied. They didn't stop there. After responding to my query, they proceeded to insult my mother and her ancestry for several minutes before their tirade deteriorated into mumbles and finally incoherence; presumably they fell into a drunken stupor. I know not why they would do such a thing. Perhaps they considered my question imbecilic.

Man, clothes just don't have a sense of propriety. I guess that's the source of the old saying "he swears like a garment."

There used to be a poster here called The Garmentine Rabbit who used to swear like a garment. I think he might have been banned.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads