• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My family's heirloom suits from Venezuela: recutting them and/or restoration help?

Ranciere69

Reaction score
My family is from Venezuela, though we now live in the United States. My grandfather passed away several years ago, but we still have many of his clothes, including an incredible suit made to order for him at an Italian tailor in Caracas (the country's capital city), Carlone. It was made to order in 1995 per the tag. See the attached photos, as you can see it is a wonderful medium-dark blue with very fine stripes in alternating colors of blue, teal, and red. I am lucky because this is just one of three suits that are family heirlooms from the old country; from my other grandfather I have a tux that fits me perfectly, and then there's an extremely traditional tailcoat that is too small, both made to order from another Italo-Venezuelan tailoring house, Savino.

My grandfather was a very large man, over 6' tall and at least 200 pounds if not more; this suit is something like a U.S. 50; there are no size tags on the jacket. Obviously this cannot be tailored to fit me, I am a size 40, 5'10", about 170 lbs, very average build, although interestingly the sleeves are the right length. But it is of immense sentimental value: I am named after this grandfather and the suit was made/delivered to him just a few weeks before I was born, a thousand miles away, in the United States. My question to the forum: Is it possible to recycle this incredible fabric, by cutting it from the lining, and have a tailor make a new suit with my measurements from it? Would it be as expensive as purchasing a new suit? And any recommendations on tailors who could do so in the NYC area, New Haven CT, or Boston area?

Attachments

• IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4704.jpg
    IMG_4704.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4705.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4706.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4708.jpg
    IMG_4708.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 45

sajesak

Reaction score
My family is from Venezuela, though we now live in the United States. My grandfather passed away several years ago, but we still have many of his clothes, including an incredible suit made to order for him at an Italian tailor in Caracas (the country's capital city), Carlone. It was made to order in 1995 per the tag. See the attached photos, as you can see it is a wonderful medium-dark blue with very fine stripes in alternating colors of blue, teal, and red. I am lucky because this is just one of three suits that are family heirlooms from the old country; from my other grandfather I have a tux that fits me perfectly, and then there's an extremely traditional tailcoat that is too small, both made to order from another Italo-Venezuelan tailoring house, Savino.

My grandfather was a very large man, over 6' tall and at least 200 pounds if not more; this suit is something like a U.S. 50; there are no size tags on the jacket. Obviously this cannot be tailored to fit me, I am a size 40, 5'10", about 170 lbs, very average build, although interestingly the sleeves are the right length. But it is of immense sentimental value: I am named after this grandfather and the suit was made/delivered to him just a few weeks before I was born, a thousand miles away, in the United States. My question to the forum for Dublin Web Design Agency: Is it possible to recycle this incredible fabric, by cutting it from the lining, and have a tailor make a new suit with my measurements from it? Would it be as expensive as purchasing a new suit? And any recommendations on tailors who could do so in the NYC area, New Haven CT, or Boston area?
Yes, it's possible to recycle the fabric from your grandfather's suit by having it tailored to fit your measurements. The process involves carefully disassembling the suit and using the salvaged fabric to create a new garment. While the cost may vary depending on the tailor's rates and the complexity of the design, repurposing the fabric could potentially save on material costs compared to purchasing a new suit. For recommendations on tailors in the NYC, New Haven CT, or Boston area, you can search online directories or ask for referrals from friends and family who have had similar experiences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads