• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously, me too!

And its twin in Flannel Super Geelong or Cashmere would be equally awesome!

I think that my future Flannel Waistcoat MTO has found a more interesting make-up; we shall see...

Best,

Dimitris
How do you go about initiating an MTO with WL? What is the process?

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
How do you go about initiating an MTO with WL? What is the process?

Dear @K. Nights,

I haven't done it yet, as my acquaintance with the brand is a relatively recent one. I have, nevertheless, directly asked one of the vendors in the UK whether they would welcome such an order and they were positive, without even mentioning a surcharge that - as in other cases in this Forum and elsewhere - would necessitate a group MTO (GMTO) to avoid it.

In practice, I would wait until early Fall to check what is being offered by the "usual suspects", including of course this Forum's Affiliate Vendors, and should nothing be of my liking, I would go for it. I have been told that it would take a maximum of 12 weeks, depending on the period of the order, priced as its/their relevant stock-supported article(s).

Sorry for not being able to enlighten you more!

Best,

Dimitris

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone having experienced knitwear from Husbands Paris?

I really like the old-fashioned style of this jumper, with the deep vee neck.

Screenshot (359).png

Kawini

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m a recovering slob. In large part, this process began when I was digging deep in my closet and found a McGeorge of Dumfries cashmere turtleneck towards the bottom. This had been my grandfather’s sweater, and I took it over when he died 40+ years ago and then promptly forgot about it. I spend a lot of time in Alaska, and when I started wearing this sweater I realized that it was an incredible material for me. I wear it over a thin merino base layer, or under something else, or just alone - it has an incredible feel.

I decided to indulge myself and buy some more. I first bought a roll neck from Johnstons of Elgin. I’m a complete novice at this, but right out of the box I could tell that this was not the same material as my grandfather’s sweater. The weave was far looser and the yarn (thread?) seems fluffier and softer. I liked the sweater a lot and wear it a lot, but honestly it was a disappointment because I was expecting something else. And now, after 3 months of regular use (I’m probably hard on clothes), the ribbing at the neck and wrists is pretty stretched out.

After that, I became somewhat manic and bought about 15 cashmere sweaters - mainly on eBay. They are mainly older Scottish sweaters, a newish T&A (which I understand is made by John Laing), and some odds and ends including a thick Cuccinelli cable knit crew neck. (The biggest bust was one of the ”odds and ends” that I bought off Vestiaire: a non-returnable Hermes cardigan that looked pretty special in the pictures, but that was apparently f***** up by a failed cleaning job that left some pretty significant puckering that I simply did not appreciate in the pictures. I’m still trying to figure out what to do with this.)

The only other purchase from Vestiaire was a Missoni turtleneck. This is one that I like a lot, and am happy to have. It might be considered a “statement” sweater, which I guess I like because I like this sweater. (A strange - to me - feature is the very long neck ribbing. It definitely has a “look” which I’m sure is not to everybody’s taste.)

I’ve read quite a bit on this forum - and in this thread - but I have never read anything about Missoni cashmere. I am wondering why that is. Is it because there just isn’t much, or because it is deemed inferior, or some other reason?
OK experts: please tell me about Missoni cashmere.

Cheers from New Mexico.

Attachments

• E8F75B28-671F-4592-8DB9-FE6D847D8BF2.png
    E8F75B28-671F-4592-8DB9-FE6D847D8BF2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • C21CDD7B-E4B6-4AE2-B63C-B720335D4A04.png
    C21CDD7B-E4B6-4AE2-B63C-B720335D4A04.png
    878.3 KB · Views: 41
  • BE5761D0-85F7-430E-A22E-7A6DD9E5A4AC.png
    BE5761D0-85F7-430E-A22E-7A6DD9E5A4AC.png
    2 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:

anaxagoras

Reaction score
I have never read anything about Missoni cashmere.

I have a lot of older Missoni stuff, but no cashmere. The quality is decent to good, with a priority on the house look (which this sweater typifies). Is there a label on the side-seam showing where it was manufactured?

msimon

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m a recovering slob. In large part, this process began when I was digging deep in my closet and found a McGeorge of Dumfries cashmere turtleneck towards the bottom. This had been my grandfather’s sweater, and I took it over when he died 40+ years ago and then promptly forgot about it. I spend a lot of time in Alaska, and when I started wearing this sweater I realized that it was an incredible material for me. I wear it over a thin merino base layer, or under something else, or just alone - it has an incredible feel.

I decided to indulge myself and buy some more. I first bought a roll neck from Johnstons of Elgin. I’m a complete novice at this, but right out of the box I could tell that this was not the same material as my grandfather’s sweater. The weave was far looser and the yarn (thread?) seems fluffier and softer. I liked the sweater a lot and wear it a lot, but honestly it was a disappointment because I was expecting something else. And now, after 3 months of regular use (I’m probably hard on clothes), the ribbing at the neck and wrists is pretty stretched out.

After that, I became somewhat manic and bought about 15 cashmere sweaters - mainly on eBay. They are mainly older Scottish sweaters, a newish T&A (which I understand is made by John Laing), and some odds and ends including a thick Cuccinelli cable knit crew neck. (The biggest bust was one of the ”odds and ends” that I bought off Vestiaire: a non-returnable Hermes cardigan that looked pretty special in the pictures, but that was apparently f***** up by a failed cleaning job that left some pretty significant puckering that I simply did not appreciate in the pictures. I’m still trying to figure out what to do with this.)

The only other purchase from Vestiaire was a Missoni turtleneck. This is one that I like a lot, and am happy to have. It might be considered a “statement” sweater, which I guess I like because I like this sweater. (A strange - to me - feature is the very long neck ribbing. It definitely has a “look” which I’m sure is not to everybody’s taste.)

I’ve read quite a bit on this forum - and in this thread - but I have never read anything about Missoni cashmere. I am wondering why that is. Is it because there just isn’t much, or because it is deemed inferior, or some other reason?

Cheers from New Mexico.
If you are finding some roll necks long, you can do a double fold in various lengths or even do the reverse method. Roll necks have plenty ways to fold like selvedge denim.

Kawini

Reaction score
Here’s the label that shows the material and the place of manufacture.

And thanks for that tip on alternate folding methods msimon. Don’t know why that didn’t occur to me before.

Attachments

• C61F4027-0E53-4636-A265-5DE620681F19.jpeg
    C61F4027-0E53-4636-A265-5DE620681F19.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 210

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score

Cheers from New Mexico.
Missoni is a small niche brand that's known for its colourful designs. Though the brand is not known for its pure cashmere knits, in fact, many pieces in their collection are great % wool/ small % cashmere mix, polyamide mix etc. (at a fairly high retail price as well) which explains why it's rarely mentioned here as this thread focuses on cashmere.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean the cashmere knits from Missoni are bad, the yarn could be of good quality and it's more important that the style suits to your liking

fabricateurialist

Reaction score

Cheers from New Mexico.

my father had quite a few Missoni cashmere sweaters, they were outstanding and fell into that "old, no pill" category

As for the newer stuff, I infrequently buy Missoni because I love their patterns, but none of the boutiques or stores in my region carry their pure cashmere garments these days, so I can't comment - would be curious to hear your thoughts over time

I've only bought their pure wool and mixed natural fiber garments, and they are all really well made, the wool - just going by hand-feel, appears to be coated, thus doesn't pill at all

TLDR it's good stuff, congrats on the find

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my father had quite a few Missoni cashmere sweaters, they were outstanding and fell into that "old, no pill" category

As for the newer stuff, I infrequently buy Missoni because I love their patterns, but none of the boutiques or stores in my region carry their pure cashmere garments these days, so I can't comment - would be curious to hear your thoughts over time

I've only bought their pure wool and mixed natural fiber garments, and they are all really well made, the wool - just going by hand-feel, appears to be coated, thus doesn't pill at all

TLDR it's good stuff, congrats on the find

Curious about the coating. Any information about it?

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Curious about the coating. Any information about it?
just an educated guess

given that the ones I have don't pill at all, maybe EXP or Life Fibre ETF ? None of the pieces has been washed too many times for any treatment to have worn off, so it could still be some "old-school" plasma treatment if that's still in use

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just an educated guess

given that the ones I have don't pill at all, maybe EXP or Life Fibre ETF ? None of the pieces has been washed too many times for any treatment to have worn off, so it could still be some "old-school" plasma treatment if that's still in use

Sorry, forgive my ignorance, I don't know any of those processes.
Can you give more details? Thanks.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Sorry, forgive my ignorance, I don't know any of those processes.
Can you give more details? Thanks.
"Plasma" uses electricity to burn the fiber surface and thus smoothens it

The other two I will link to the companies' sites because they are more technical but, in essence, also smoothen the surface of the wool fiber/yarn through a more environmentally friendly process

EXP treatment

Life Fiber's EFT

msimon

Reaction score
I don't understand how coatings would stop pilling. In the wool bedding scene they use a solution to take the first layer of so the scales won't be present during washing and so no shrinkage can accur.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads