• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

V neck Sweaters

Walker44

Reaction score
Hello gents,

I've been on the hunt recently for some V neck sweaters which don't look baggy or start billowing like crazy on the waist area.
I've tried a lot of brands available in the Uk starting with
T.M Lewin ,
Charles Tyrwhitt ,
Hawes & Curtis ,
Brooks Brothers ,
Uniqlo,
J. Crew,
John Smedley,
Sunspel,
Reis,
Massimo Dutti,
and the fashion forward sweaters you find in places like John Lewis ,Zara, H&M, Gap and the list goes on

I'm 6.1 feet tall and weight in 187 lbs so I'm fairly slim I would say.

Apart from J.Crew and John Smedley all the other sweaters looked badly on me.
I've attached below some photos with both sweaters because I've got a couple of questions to ask and I couldn't find answers nowhere to those questions.

I know merino wool by nature it's a soft and thin material but I can't stand seeing the buttons of a dress shirt through the sweater whenever I'm layering one over my shirts.

How are you dealing with this problem? I'm just asking because whenever I search for V neck sweaters across Google all the guys wearing them over a dress shirt don't seem to have this "problem" (they can't be all photoshoped...)

My second question would be if you've got other brands sugestion I should look for? (My budget would be somewhere around 150£ for a sweater ,slim fit ,probably merino wool - quality Cashmere it's really out of my current budget) J crew F.JPG J crew.JPG John Smedley Back.JPG John smedley F.JPG John Smedley.JPG

If there is one thing which I don't like about the J. Crew one it's the deep V neck which seems to be something common across many brands. I would rather prefer a high V neck like the one on the black sweater.

P.s No, I won't be wearing V necks with the collar all buttoned up without throwing a tie. The whole purpose on buttoning the collar in the photos above was to see if the V neck of the sweaters lays nicely on top of the collar without leaving any gaps.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 109 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%