• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

happydayz1

Reaction score
I love small bussineses, they are so much more friendly and accommodating. been speaking with the owner of Jadd shoes and can not be happier.

Speaking of the discolouration, I wonder if it was caused by long term storage with damp conditions. We get this alot with second hand cotton and we simply just bin them especially whites.
Moisture can be a cause I believe, including sweating, but in this case as the sweater was unworn and although a rare occurrence they suspect the cause was storage in direct sunlight for an extended period of time when in the factory. The discolouration is also right across where it would have been folded so it could have been that section alone exposed to repeated sunlight when in storage.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moisture can be a cause I believe, including sweating, but in this case as the sweater was unworn and although a rare occurrence they suspect the cause was storage in direct sunlight for an extended period of time when in the factory. The discolouration is also right across where it would have been folded so it could have been that section alone exposed to repeated sunlight when in storage.

This was my thought too.

anaxagoras

Reaction score
They are going to check their stock room this morning so fingers crossed they have the same or an alternative colour as the sweater itself is a very nice quality piece.
Wasn’t aware of this business, but their offerings are great. Seems like an excellent source for J. Laing, so well done, thanks!

Johnny80

Reaction score
And in good news they have an exact replacement!
Glad that worked out for you...you are lucky since you get the same colour+same size
Remember to inspect this one too (but i bet the people there will inspect this before shipping now)also take some photos.
That yellowing can be
1) Storage in the above 30C with something heavy on it (like a metal bar) to keep the garments more compact and this one being on top of the pack
2) Moisture from people maybe trying in in the store and forgot to reshape it and maybe trying to wash it before place it for long storage
3) Some dying process failing on the horizontal and not inspected correctly on the mannequin and direct light
4) washing and put in storage after within a sunlight small bar , based on where it is, it can from storage it folded and sunlight direct blast on that folded part

From my point of view, like people from Colombo and other serious makers...this is the way you treat your customer because in this age of internet, if you dont treat your customers with respect, the bad customer support is spread in seconds over the internet and put your brand into the black list for many over the world

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad that worked out for you...you are lucky since you get the same colour+same size
Remember to inspect this one too (but i bet the people there will inspect this before shipping now)also take some photos.
That yellowing can be
1) Storage in the above 30C with something heavy on it (like a metal bar) to keep the garments more compact and this one being on top of the pack
2) Moisture from people maybe trying in in the store and forgot to reshape it and maybe trying to wash it before place it for long storage
3) Some dying process failing on the horizontal and not inspected correctly on the mannequin and direct light
4) washing and put in storage after within a sunlight small bar , based on where it is, it can from storage it folded and sunlight direct blast on that folded part

From my point of view, like people from Colombo and other serious makers...this is the way you treat your customer because in this age of internet, if you dont treat your customers with respect, the bad customer support is spread in seconds over the internet and put your brand into the black list for many over the world

It seems quite unlikely to me that it could be some fault in the dying process, as this is clearly not a dyed garment, but one made of dyed garn.

Johnny80

Reaction score
It seems quite unlikely to me that it could be some fault in the dying process, as this is clearly not a dyed garment, but one made of dyed garn.
i didnt said that and you are right, those issues are more uniform on the garment and not like in this particularly scenario , i was placing all the reasons that can go to this yellowing behaviour
Its more likely point 1 or 4 from what i can see

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a plain crewneck in camel hair? William Lockie is sort of my go-to for knitwear but they only seem to have camelhair cardigans. Rubato has one but I think their style runs way too short in the body for me.

Camerashy

Reaction score
I have just been onto the seller and they have handled it excellently and will facilitate a replacement, which I do appreciate as some time has passed since the date of purchase.

This is a good reminder for me as to the benefits of dealing with small family owned businesses as the customer service can really set them apart from your larger organisations.
Great news very pleased for you
Who were the sellers if you don’t mind me asking

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Specifically, I am quite fond of the William Lockie cable-knit crewneck and V-neck made for Ben Silver in the US (please see image below), and I am craving for a cable-knit camelhair waistcoat in its natural (undyed) color.

So, I just quoted myself from few pages back but with a good reason: I have stumbled on an old William Lockie cable-knit camelhair waistcoat sold in the second-hand market, and I am just posting it for an idea of what the above-said might be IRL. I reckon that its photography does not do it justice, its color is not correctly depicted, not to mention that it is a quite large size, so no sleek silhouette here; still, it certainly does bring an old-school, vintage aesthetic for those who fancy it:

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

Best,

Dimitris

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I just quoted myself from few pages back but with a good reason: I have stumbled on an old William Lockie cable-knit camelhair waistcoat sold in the second-hand market, and I am just posting it for an idea of what the above-said might be IRL. I reckon that its photography does not do it justice, its color is not correctly depicted, not to mention that it is a quite large size, so no sleek silhouette here; still, it certainly does bring an old-school, vintage aesthetic for those who fancy it:

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

Best,

Dimitris

I certainly would like to own that lovely knit piece. Visible the old William Lockie label.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
I certainly would like to own that lovely knit piece. Visible the old William Lockie label.

Obviously, me too!

And its twin in Flannel Super Geelong or Cashmere would be equally awesome!

I think that my future Flannel Waistcoat MTO has found a more interesting make-up; we shall see...

Best,

Dimitris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics