• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carryall and weekend bag recommendations...

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hello..

looking for recommendations on range of mens bags (carryalls, weekender, etc) that will age well. want to start "investing" in classic pieces, preferably all from the same maker..

main criteria: quality, classic leather (dark brown i'm thinking)- want to buy once. i could not find any recent posts that covered the topic well.

pics of well aged bags welcome (or bags you anticipate will look good down the road).

thoughts on..
bottega
ferragamo
burberry
prada
mulberry
LVMH (they have a new one listed on a blog that looks classic)
http://00o00.blogspot.com/

sorry i dont know any classic makers/non super brands
other suggestions?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lovelux2010

Reaction score
lovely recommendation, thanks.

i'm located in london so open to recommendations within Europe preferably

Invicta

Reaction score

lovelux2010

Reaction score
wow

that is gorgeous. available in havana and chestnut too

BlackShoes

Reaction score
You wont find better luggage than Swaine Adeney. WS Foster, just down the road also do lovely luggage, and they are very amenable to bespoke or customised pieces.
TKClean.gif
Grip19.gif
Prices are similar for the two makers, though there are differences across ranges. If you end up buying SAB, make sure to go to the shop, as they have a much more extensive collection inside, and a sale on at the moment, not available online. Also, curiously, this American retailer seems to carry an even more extensive range of stock, also with excellent pictures.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
the Swaine Adeney one is perfection..
i saw a tom ford one that had 2 colours that looked similar, suppose awaine adeney is the original

bbhewee

Reaction score
LV Keepall in Nomade leather... The leather will age beautifully with time.

arc

Reaction score
+1 on SAB if it's in your price range. Great stuff. What are the details on that sale in store? I probably won't be back in London in time to take advantage of that unfortunately.

Check out Cleverley (Royal Arcade off Old Bond St) as well, if you're just wandering around shops in London. They frequently have some really breathtaking pieces.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
thoughts on LVMH suggestion versus SAB? quality wise...

did a bit more research..also came up with
Goldpfeil, Germany
MCM, Germany (if you like LV)
Offermann, Germany
Dunhill
Longchamps
Valextra, Milan
Goyard, Paris
Moynat, Paris
Madler, Zurich

BlackShoes

Reaction score
I will confess to not being familiar with any of the brands you have posted except Goyard, who will also produce luggage of the highest quality.

For those wondering, the sale has various cases and other items at between 10 and 30 percent off, I did not take exhaustive notes, though it was not a large sale, and completely unadvertised from outside.

Edit, I have not been able to discern any way in which the LV luggage is better than SAB, the bridle leather bags are really something to behold. I have also read reviews mentioning long term durability issues with LV bags, though as I have never owned any of their luggage, cannot comment in this regard.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very difficult to go wrong with any of the makers you are looking at and I think between your two posts, you've captured nearly all the big names. You would be best to pick the one you like. I have several of the makers you list for various pieces (SAB, Goldpfeil, Dunhill) and they are each great in their own way.

It's your money and your happiness with your approach is the only one that matters. My own experience is that each brand has particular strengths and certain iconic pieces, like the SAB Westminster, where I have enjoyed the ability to not be tied into the range of a particular maker. For example, Goldpfeil made my folio and I can't think of one I've seen that looks nicer or that I would enjoy more. But, while beautiful, their office bag is not to my taste.

You've got years of enjoyment in your upcoming choices and please post pics of what you get. Lots of really beautiful stuff out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics