• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tet45

Reaction score
What polish color would you recommended for Carmina tan (pompei finish) vegano leather? I'm unsure between Saphir light brown or cognac as I want to preserve the original color. Carmina recommend their own polish but getting Saphir is much more convenient, please advice. Thanks

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forest Marron.

1000015042.jpg
1000015043.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What polish color would you recommended for Carmina tan (pompei finish) vegano leather? I'm unsure between Saphir light brown or cognac as I want to preserve the original color. Carmina recommend their own polish but getting Saphir is much more convenient, please advice. Thanks

As a general rule, in order to preserve the original colour is recommended to choose a lighter tone, in case the exact one is not provided.

User888

Reaction score
If you don't want to alter the colour at all, then use colorless polish. Saphir has it. Or even just renovatour would give a nice sheen and you have the hard wax for extra shine

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cognac seems a better tone than light brown, which looks too yellow. As suggested above, you can use a neutral cream and only apply a tinted one ocasionally.

JTMD

Reaction score
Broke out the cognac shell single monks. I've always been a bit suspicious that the right is a bit darker than the left so I tend to wear them in torrential downpours and blizzards to try and even it out..but perhaps it's just me. I got these from Leatherfoot in Toronto about 8 years ago and even got to meet up with the always amazing RogerP (I haven't been active on the forums for a few years and it seems RogerP hasn't either?).
20240322_164839.jpg
20240322_175310.jpg

Attachments

• 20240322_175316.jpg
    20240322_175316.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 55

JTMD

Reaction score
As mentioned previously, , it's been several years since I was a regular on the threads..nice to see Uppr-crust is still around (I remember him more from AAC).

Either way, a recent find of a couple Alden shells got me back in the spirit. Today I took about everything out of the closet, unboxed/unbagged them all, inspections, brushings, etc. Quite rare to do so so of course I got a few photos.

The U-wing boots and the shell still see a lot of use..the calf sort of moved to secondary/bad weather use after I acquired similar models from EG and G&G

20240322_140225.jpg
20240322_151714.jpg

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned oreviouskt, , it's been several years since I was a regular on the threads..nice to see Uppr-crust is still around (I remember him more from AAC). Either way, a recent find of a couple Alden shells got me back in the spirit. Today I took about everything out of the closet, unboxed/unbagged them all, inspections, brushings, etc. Quite rare to do so so of course I got a few photos.

The U-wing boots and the shell still see a lot of use..the calf sort of moved to secondary/bad weather use after I acquired similar models from EG and G&G

View attachment 2153847 View attachment 2153853

Really impressive.

JTMD

Reaction score
Really impressive.
Well thanks. Not too bad for piecing together a collection mostly from clearance sales. Perhaps a bit less impressive than a few folks wandering these threads.. but I don't want my wife divorcing me over shoes. 😅. I'm sure she'd be fine with the occasional once off $1'500 pair of boots..but I still haven't reached the point where I want to spend that type of money on footwear.. no matter how much I love some of the models from higher end manufacturers. End of the day..My carefree shopping spree at St Crispin's will most likely have to wait to the next lifetime..but it's not as if I'll be going barefoot anyways. 😁

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
So. I’m considering an MTO of something really “rugged.” Cap toe jumpers on Llubi. Or maybe tankers. We’ll see.

Out of all the leather choices- what would you consider the best choice? I know we’re all fans of shell but I’m considering other options as well. Something brown, durable, and you wouldn’t be worried about the weather, the woods, or whatever else life might throw at you when traveling. They’ll get worn with a lot of denim, flannel, and Filson.

Current contenders are shell, waxy commander, or brown CXL.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL or maybe a hatch grain.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
So. I’m considering an MTO of something really “rugged.” Cap toe jumpers on Llubi. Or maybe tankers. We’ll see.

Out of all the leather choices- what would you consider the best choice? I know we’re all fans of shell but I’m considering other options as well. Something brown, durable, and you wouldn’t be worried about the weather, the woods, or whatever else life might throw at you when traveling. They’ll get worn with a lot of denim, flannel, and Filson.

Current contenders are shell, waxy commander, or brown CXL.

CXL or maybe a hatch grain.
Agree - waxy commander, CXL or karagrain would be good options, each a very different effect though. Beware the "CXL lottery" if you don't like the look of those deep creases where delamination occurs.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Broke out the cognac shell single monks. I've always been a bit suspicious that the right is a bit darker than the left so I tend to wear them in torrential downpours and blizzards to try and even it out..but perhaps it's just me. I got these from Leatherfoot in Toronto about 8 years ago and even got to meet up with the always amazing RogerP (I haven't been active on the forums for a few years and it seems RogerP hasn't either?). View attachment 2153587 View attachment 2153589
Curious has wearing these harsh weather helped even out the coloring? I have a couple shell pairs with color differences between left and right -- all more noticable than your pair though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads