• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTMD

Reaction score
Curious has wearing these harsh weather helped even out the coloring? I have a couple shell pairs with color differences between left and right -- all more noticable than your pair though
Well something has evened out the color to the point I was comfortable wearing them in public on a sunny day 😅..but.. I couldn't say if it was taking them out in wet conditions or simply time taking its toll or all brushing ,or a combination of everything, or whatever..to my eye they aren't quite as different in color as they were.

The guy I have do my re-soles and put on taps gave me a jar of something labeled as "special cordovan. Uncolored. Made in France". My thought was that it was a something from Saphir that my guy was familiar with. Of course I've heard a thousand times not to use regular neutral on cordovan. But this was "special cordovan". I tested it on some old throwaways and then spot tested it on the monks..seemed ok..but when I did them in their entirely the right side stayed dark. Was it the product? Was it something hidden in the leather that the product brought out? I can't say. My hope in wearing them out to get soaked was that whatever chemical l/product might get out..but I wasn't basing that on anything but hope..
So no, I wouldn't go around on the threads recommending anyone follow my example. I was willing to take a loss on these. I wasn't wearing them due to the color difference. An unworn pair in the closet is just as good as a pair in the garbage. Rain doesn't really bother shell all that much anyways. My go to bad weather boots are Alden shells that I've had around 15 years now..and while perhaps not showpieces, they've held up quite nicely.

The offending jar..my cobbler sells only Saphir so I figured the stuff being made in France was also from Saphir. Needless to say..never used again..
20240323_080029.jpg
20240323_080040.jpg

Last edited:

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a pair of natural shell longwings that arrived with the colors all over the place. the nyc 45th st store assured me they'd even out to the same color. It's been 6 years and I still have 2 multicolor shoes. I should have just refused them when they arrived

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well something has evened out the color to the point I was comfortable wearing them in public on a sunny day 😅..but.. I couldn't say if it was taking them out in wet conditions or simply time taking its toll or all brushing ,or a combination of everything, or whatever..to my eye they aren't quite as different in color as they were.

The guy I have do my re-soles and put on taps gave me a jar of something labeled as "special cordovan. Uncolored. Made in France". My thought was that it was a something from Saphir that my guy was familiar with. Of course I've heard a thousand times not to use regular neutral on cordovan. But this was "special cordovan". I tested it on some old throwaways and then spot tested it on the monks..seemed ok..but when I did them in their entirely the right side stayed dark. Was it the product? Was it something hidden in the leather that the product brought out? I can't say. My hope in wearing them out to get soaked was that whatever chemical l/product might get out..but I wasn't basing that on anything but hope..
So no, I wouldn't go around on the threads recommending anyone follow my example. I was willing to take a loss on these. I wasn't wearing them due to the color difference. An unworn pair in the closet is just as good as a pair in the garbage. Rain doesn't really bother shell all that much anyways. My go to bad weather boots are Alden shells that I've had around 15 years now..and while perhaps not showpieces, they've held up quite nicely.

The offending jar..my cobbler sells only Saphir so I figured the stuff being made in France was also from Saphir. Needless to say..never used again.. View attachment 2154159 View attachment 2154161

Just cause it says it's from France....

fe9d953c8dc8edccde5ad7dec9bdf039.jpg

JTMD

Reaction score
Just cause it says it's from France....

View attachment 2154389
Well..mostly because I trusted the cobbler..he's the only one I know of in the area that handles higher end footwear.. ..but yes..the spurious connection was a poor assumption on my part..I never asked. It was a guess. I would have still used it off of the cobblers advice if it was named Skoda and made in the Czech Republic. Not that it would change much of anything anyways being saphir or skoda. I used a product a professional leather worker gave me for a specific type of leather. It didn't work as thought. That I guessed it might be saphir due to his stocking saphir and it being from France was a secondary consideration at best. Saphir is great and my go to product line..but they're not the only ones making decent shoe products either.

Last edited:

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
burgundy marbled cordovan. can't decide between whole cut shoe, single or double monk

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
burgundy marbled cordovan. can't decide between whole cut shoe, single or double monk
If it were me, I would choose a single monk. Shows off the leather more than the double monk, and maybe a bit more versatile than a whole cut. Do you have a picture of the shell?

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would choose a single monk. Shows off the leather more than the double monk, and maybe a bit more versatile than a whole cut. Do you have a picture of the shell?
not yet. i was leaning towards single monk. now which one?...

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm making my first custom order of Carmina chelsea boots (80216). The leather color will be Bourbon codovan. What I'm having a difficult time choosing is the elastic band color.

I would appreciate some advice (especially if you've gone through this process before) considering the website order page is all rendered in 3D and I have no clue if any of that is accurate.

I iniitially thought I'd go with chestnut which looks unoffensive

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 9.40.24 AM.png

But then I saw red...

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 9.40.42 AM.png

And orange...

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 9.40.49 AM.png

And camel...

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 9.41.06 AM.png

...and now I'm suffering from some serious decision fatigue. They all look good, but I can't tell if these are truly reflective of what the actual colors will look in general, and against the leather. The rendered lighting look like it's in a studio or a Carmina store.

Would appreciate any advice you can give. I'm leaning towards orange but I've never seen orange rendered in a way where it looks like it's almost a dark ruby.

Thanks!

GenericUser

Reaction score
Hello!
It seems to me that Carmina has raised prices?
I have a custom design that the designer estimated at 610 USD, but now it costs 640 USD.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is my memory failing me?

CasualWearer88

Reaction score
Hello!
It seems to me that Carmina has raised prices?
I have a custom design that the designer estimated at 610 USD, but now it costs 640 USD.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is my memory failing me?
Your memory is trustworthy. They raised their prices a couple days ago.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm making my first custom order of Carmina chelsea boots (80216). The leather color will be Bourbon codovan. What I'm having a difficult time choosing is the elastic band color.

I would appreciate some advice (especially if you've gone through this process before) considering the website order page is all rendered in 3D and I have no clue if any of that is accurate.

I iniitially thought I'd go with chestnut which looks unoffensive

View attachment 2155595

But then I saw red...

View attachment 2155597

And orange...

View attachment 2155599

And camel...

View attachment 2155601

...and now I'm suffering from some serious decision fatigue. They all look good, but I can't tell if these are truly reflective of what the actual colors will look in general, and against the leather. The rendered lighting look like it's in a studio or a Carmina store.

Would appreciate any advice you can give. I'm leaning towards orange but I've never seen orange rendered in a way where it looks like it's almost a dark ruby.

Thanks!

Personally I would go for camel that provides a nice and subtle contrast, but all options look good. Follow your instinct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads