• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking to take advantage of the MTO offer that ends today. I'm looking for a pair like this one which was available at Unipair a few years ago:

View attachment 1258947

Is there any way to get something like this by MTO? I do not see this model as an option for an MTO boot when I try to customize one.
You can put a different model in the comments if the one you want isn't available.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look awesome. Great pick up.

Model 80462 it is, great find. Like you, I would eliminate the padding around the ankle and possibly request the apron to be smaller, as in the 80488 model.

I would love to see a 80488 boot without the split toe, in the wild.

I will ask Carmina if there is a difference on the apron construction between 80462 and 80488 (besides the split toe, obviously).

A pair of u-tips on color 4 would be at the top of my list on either Rain EEE or Soller, just to compliment my Bourbon 80462.

View attachment 1258938
U tip based on 80488 would look great too, and less expensive to boot. $830ish for 80488 (assuming no metal toe plate and no JR sole) vs $950ish for other boot models with similar options. It would definitely erase any regrets about passing on the Galway 2 GMTO!

goalaso

Reaction score
I agree that Carmina does an excellent job of QC, so you won’t typically see some of the things from their exotic shell offerings, that really bother me about say Aldens exotic shell offerings. I’d say there are some Carmina shell offerings that have those characteristics I particularly like about shell too. ie.

View attachment 1257852

View attachment 1257851
What model is this?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Man, hard to see a rain last in this one.

This is not my picture but this is an Alden apron toe on the plaza last. The plaza last is a little like the rain last except that the toe is broader. Nonetheless, this should give a reasonably good sense of what a rain split-less nst might look like.

20191013_222429.jpg

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I want to be clear here, I do not think we should be requesting a clone of another maker's shoe. There is plenty of room for a fresh take using some of the existing similar patterns for inspiration.

This is the primary reason why I didn't add a photo of the galway/balway/valway etc to my original post yesterday but I also realized that the the ambiguity of posting the 2 related Carmina patterns may not have been clear enough for members to understand where this was headed.

Apologies if this has created any consternation or unintended confusion. That wasn't my intention and is why I'd included an explicit hedge about the image from another maker posted today being for inspirational purposes only.

Also, I realize I'm echoing what you guys are already saying. I think this is an important consideration for Carmina so wanted to head it off from the get go.

Regarding some member's interested in creating a derby boot with detailing similar to model 80450, we have been developing the derby version of this model for a while.

Nonetheless, since it is an original design and we would not like it to seem like we are trying to copy other maker's models we have not launched the model yet. To be fair, classic models and traditional styles can have close looks. However, our artisans make great efforts to design models that are close to our aesthetic and which work well within our collection.

We generally get inspiration for very old models in our archives or rather some ideas our pattern makers come up with. Client requests are sometimes taken into account too but they are usually requests to change a model from a cap toe to a wingitp, add broguing... Our artisans would not agree on copying a model from another maker.

This said, we have requested permission to disclose the boots with this "wing" detailing for you to see. For the time being, the only available model would be model 80450.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Regarding some member's interested in creating a derby boot with detailing similar to model 80450, we have been developing the derby version of this model for a while.

View attachment 1259312

Nonetheless, since it is an original design and we would not like it to seem like we are trying to copy other maker's models we have not launched the model yet. To be fair, classic models and traditional styles can have close looks. However, our artisans make great efforts to design models that are close to our aesthetic and which work well within our collection.

We generally get inspiration for very old models in our archives or rather some ideas our pattern makers come up with. Client requests are sometimes taken into account too but they are usually requests to change a model from a cap toe to a wingitp, add broguing... Our artisans would not agree on copying a model from another maker.

This said, we have requested permission to disclose the boots with this "wing" detailing for you to see. For the time being, the only available model would be model 80450.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! There is a lot of interest in this type of boot pattern and, as we discussed here over the weekend, we likewise would be interested in a unique Carmina pattern rather than anything that could be construed as a copy.

With that said, I think we'd all be thrilled to see what your team has designed. If we are able to provide feedback and/or contribute ideas for the final design, all the better.

Please let us know how we can help. I generated a list of members who have expressed interest in this type of pattern. You're obviously more than welcome to reach out to us individually or publicly, as you see fit.

Once again, thank you for your efforts to work with our community!

ivancream

Reaction score
Hi all. I asking for your advice.
I have recieved two new Kirby pairs. One of them is flawless but I want to discuss with u if I'm too fussy if I don't accept the other.
The medallion in the right shoe is not completly centered. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is one of those thing which only detected by the owner.
Anything else is perfect and I love them (but now I can only watch this medallion!!!)
(@dave_rawitat: Thanks for the inspiration. I'm not so brave as you but mine are the sons of your greens)
Please, excuse my poor photo skills.

2.JPG 4.JPG

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I asking for your advice.
I have recieved two new Kirby pairs. One of them is flawless but I want to discuss with u if I'm too fussy if I don't accept the other.
The medallion in the right shoe is not completly centered. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is one of those thing which only detected by the owner.
Anything else is perfect and I love them (but now I can only watch this medallion!!!)
(@dave_rawitat: Thanks for the inspiration. I'm not so brave as you but mine are the sons of your greens)
Please, excuse my poor photo skills.

View attachment 1259323 View attachment 1259328

I think a misaligned medallion is reason to request a remake, especially on a pair of shell shoes. Lovely makeup, though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
immediatecoreer