• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shunted22

Reaction score
@shunted22 What a shame, they look amazing judging by that photo. Just out of curiosity, why don't you just return them? or are they bought used?

It was a single MTO so no dice on the return. I actually messed up and meant to order Llubi/Detroit but somehow apparently went with rain..won't make that mistake again.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Detroit chukkas

2763D327-2BA0-4802-BA19-FC233C086A7A.jpeg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the fit of the inca last supposed to be comparable to the rain last. While the rain last is a great fit for me in size 8 with a very small V shape the inca last is tight in the instep for me.

Judging the pictures, will this stretch enough to be acceptable or is the fit just not a match for me?

20171117_183405.jpg

20171117_183353.jpg

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the fit of the inca last supposed to be comparable to the rain last. While the rain last is a great fit for me in size 8 with a very small V shape the inca last is tight in the instep for me.

Judging the pictures, will this stretch enough to be acceptable or is the fit just not a match for me?

View attachment 876712

View attachment 876713

IMO being a person with a high instep I think this will work out for you. Now you did not lace the shoes so hard to tell what it looks like when the laces are tied but I still think you will be ok. On this topic in general you will find varied opinions some say what you have is just not acceptable. But I have been around the world to many shoe shops and seems most all think this is acceptable. In the end it really comes down to is it acceptable to you?

Also think about this if you have a brand new shoe and the gap is closed there really is no way the shoe can shape to your foot since the shoe is kinda too big already. As it has been explained to me the reason you have the shoe tongue is so that you can have some gap and the shoe still has a good look.

I have been on several threads where this becomes a hot topic like I said in the end it's up to you.

Also not for nothing, but those socks look awful thick for dress shoes.

Vinsep

Reaction score
IMO being a person with a high instep I think this will work out for you. Now you did not lace the shoes so hard to tell what it looks like when the laces are tied but I still think you will be ok. On this topic in general you will find varied opinions some say what you have is just not acceptable. But I have been around the world to many shoe shops and seems most all think this is acceptable. In the end it really comes down to is it acceptable to you?

Also think about this if you have a brand new shoe and the gap is closed there really is no way the shoe can shape to your foot since the shoe is kinda too big already. As it has been explained to me the reason you have the shoe tongue is so that you can have some gap and the shoe still has a good look.

I have been on several threads where this becomes a hot topic like I said in the end it's up to you.

Also not for nothing, but those socks look awful thick for dress shoes.

While it is true that a lot of people would consider it acceptable, we all know it’s not ideal. Dress shoes are expensive. If you don’t really get what you really want for what you paid for, why bother? Just because it’s not among the most expensive shoes?

I too have very high instep. In fact so high that even rain lasted shoes would look like that on my feet(probably even worse). I know derby or Blucher probably would be a better fit, yet I still love the aesthetics of an Oxford. That’s the reason why I went for MTO.

That said, I do agree you that ultimately it’s the buyers’ decision.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the fit of the inca last supposed to be comparable to the rain last.
I have both but the instep in the Inca it's much more lower. I have a lower instep and Inca fits me better than Rain. Plus the almond shaped toe feels better IMO.

I think that if you don't feel uncomfortable and it's okay with you, I would keep them.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would return no question.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vinsep, post: 9086201, member: 272720"]While it is true that a lot of people would consider it acceptable, we all know it’s not ideal. Dress shoes are expensive. If you don’t really get what you really want for what you paid for, why bother? Just because it’s not among the most expensive shoes?

I like the way you said it "it's not ideal" but yes generally acceptable. True if you are paying full price it's better to get what you paid for agreed. As a side note sometimes when I am not sure I just pick up a outlet pair or a discounted pair that way if the fit is not ideal I don't feel so bad. Example I grabbed those Baltimore Boots on the Detroit last from the outlet when I see the restock. I have no ideal how they will fit me I am hoping with the high instep they will be ok but I am taking a chance as I have no other Detroit last in my collection. If the fit is not what I want I will put them up for sale and lesson learned. But as you eluded to I would not do that for a full price shoe or boot I would just do an MTO.

Vinsep, post: 9086201, member: 272720"] I too have very high instep. In fact so high that even rain lasted shoes would look like that on my feet(probably even worse). I know derby or Blucher probably would be a better fit, yet I still love the aesthetics of an Oxford. That’s the reason why I went for MTO.

Yup even the Rain is a bit of a gap for me but I have noticed that it varies (the V gap that is) from shoe to shoe even though all are on the Rain.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't keep them although the V will eventually close up a bit, though aesthetically, they still won't look quite right to me. I've always read that the instep of the Inca last was lower than Rain though.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 876712

View attachment 876713

In my experience, Rain has more volume/higher instep, a bigger heel, and less room in the toes than Inca.

The v-gap will certainly close somewhat, perhaps something like a third more closed than it is now. I have fairly low-volume feet (Simpson fits me quite well), so take this with a grain of salt: I personally think the shoes will break in so that the gap comes into an acceptable range, but that is an aesthetic choice. At the end of the day, if you aren't happy you shouldn't keep them.

xxxRacer

Reaction score
Recently ordered three shell belts from Carmina. I've recently ordered about ten new cordovan shoes from Allen Edmonds in various colors and Carmina had the nicest looking belts to go with them. $269 a belt. WHEN I ordered I sent them the size of ALL my other belts. Belts made by Allen Edmonds, belts made in France, belts made all over the world and asked them to confirm if their sizing was consistent. They said yes and shipped me one belt a nice enough bourbon cordovan that I was planning on wearing with some bourbon shell boots I just bought. The Carmina belt is one inch shorter than every other belt I own. It "fits" but it's not right. So I emailed them, explained the problem and asked for a return shipping label and to ask them to hold the next size up for me so that once they got the "wrong" belt back they could ship me the "right" belt. Oh, one more thing, they taped up their really nice Carmina box with packing tape and glued the label onto their box. They didn't wrap it in shipping paper, they didn't put the box in a box so I could either use the box nor did they seem to even consider that this could be a gift and the box would make the product look better. So they don't seem to care about how they present their product. THEN I got the bitchy email telling me that IF they were to condescend to accept my return that I had to take pictures of the product and that IF once they sent me a shipping label they were still under no obligation to accept the return but that if they did I would be charged $35! Carmina makes nice shoes. I have a couple of pairs and may buy more. BUT they are NOT a "luxury brand." THIS is NOT how you treat customers or show respect for the product you make. It is the job of the seller to meet my standards NOT my job to meet theirs and they don't seem to understand this. Perhaps the only English speaking person they were able to hire in their customer service dept is some bitchy frustrated POS of a human being but if I'm paying 269 for a belt and/or 1000 for a pair of shoes then not only should I expect them to be right but the manufacturer should WANT them to be right! For example, I bought a pair of Trickers shell boots. After placing my order they sent me an email to confirm that English sizes were different and checked to make sure that the boots would fit. Carmina can make their belts anyway they like but they should follow Trickers and other EU companies model and make sure that the products they are shipping out are presented will and fit! Long story short, I called Amex and am letting them handle it and Carmina IS a shoemaker but NOT a "luxury" shoemaker.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:uhoh:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads