• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ nice! thanks a bunch. what a great makeup. just one of many by those guys

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure DHL won't fight it for you, but where do you conclude that duties aren't owed on personal use items? I'm fairly sure that's not the case.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I meant that I would have to pay DHL and then I would have to try to get it back from Customs. It would be nice if DHL would do it, but I certainly don't expect that to happen.

I don't have the links handy, but several of Customs' own pages suggest that internet orders for apparel for personal use should be exempt. Some suggest and $800 cap; others don't. The invoice I received from DHL also cites an HTS Code (6403.99.9071) for "Footwear With Outer Soles Of Rubber, Plastics Or Composition Leather And Uppers Of Leather, Valued Over $2.50 Per Pair, For Girls, Nesoi." That's obviously an error. Getting it assigned a proper HTS Code could result in the duty still being owed, but maybe I'll get it refunded.

Looks like that HTS code = 10%.
I believe the correct HTS code will end up being 8.5%.
Or at least a correct code since they're all so vague many seem to apply.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/128/kw/duty rate error/related/1
Is it really worth the effort for 1.5% though?

DHL seems to be hit and miss both with getting charged at all and with how much they asses for.
I got hit with an HTS code that was 12% for one pair. But another time I didn't get assessed for anything and only had to pay the brokerage fee.

heterophilous

Reaction score

DHL seems to be hit and miss both with getting charged at all and with how much they asses for.
I got hit with an HTS code that was 12% for one pair. But another time I didn't get assessed for anything and only had to pay the brokerage fee.

Sounds like bad luck. Without fail, I get slammed for customs and brokerage fees whenever shoes are shipped via FedEx and UPS, but I've yet to be charged for 7+ shipments that have originated from Spain and the UK via DHL.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that's exactly the calculation I'm doing: even with the duty, the shoes are still a good value. If I protest, I might get it reduced to zero, but I might only save 1.5% or some other amount depending on which HTS code Customs thinks is appropriate in this case. My time is probably worth more than I'll save, but it does bug me. Thanks for the link to the page about how to file a protest. I'd been looking for that.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, that's exactly the calculation I'm doing: even with the duty, the shoes are still a good value. If I protest, I might get it reduced to zero, but I might only save 1.5% or some other amount depending on which HTS code Customs thinks is appropriate in this case. My time is probably worth more than I'll save, but it does bug me. Thanks for the link to the page about how to file a protest. I'd been looking for that.

Here's some info regarding goods sent by courier.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/919/kw/personal exemption-/session/L3NpZC9XQU5LU284bA==
The $800 exemption is for items you carry with you when you enter the country.

It looks like you want CBP form 19.
http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_19.pdf

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the Oscar-lasted MTO: Is the different appearance of the Cognac shell color on the boot we're emulating and the cognac boot in the shop (http://skoaktiebolaget.se/news/80090-robert-cognac1) just due to lighting? We'll be using the same shell as in Franks and NAMOR's pictures above, right?

Lighting, the camera, how the image was processed, different batches of shell... there are many potential reasons for the difference in color.

diglett

Reaction score
Lighting, the camera, how the image was processed, different batches of shell... there are many potential reasons for the difference in color.
Okay, thanks. They just look completely different at first glance, and I wanted to be certain that they were actually the same type of shell.

UnreasonableMan

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken Skoaktiebolaget has 29 Carmina models, that is almost as many as are on the actual Carmina webstore…. well about 10 less, but the styles are better. I made a purchase with them, service is ABOVE par. In other news, ordered a pair from Carmina on the 29th… shipment was delayed because it was out of stock, then later received a size 8. Fit would be TTS if I were to walk on my hands. In the process of the return and exchange now, a bit of a hassle. Will say though... my last order arrived within 48 hours of me clicking the confirm payment, so they'll get a pass on this one.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nick Horween's Carmina Cognac Shell Boot

you like?

Interesting. I'm waiting for my Carmina order from Epaulet for the grey suede boots. This will be my first pair of Carmina's--albeit on the Forest last. I hope I can get those in before this closes out so that I can figure out if I want another pair.

diglett

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm waiting for my Carmina order from Epaulet for the grey suede boots. This will be my first pair of Carmina's--albeit on the Forest last. I hope I can get those in before this closes out so that I can figure out if I want another pair.
Weren't the grey suede boots a pre-order? The order for the shell boots you're talking about closes in two days, so you won't get the suede pair before then.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style