1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

MMM - If you continue to "tab" past the first star rating, does it drop the other fields down to the single star as well?

2. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I just checked. If you continue to tab, it then boosts the star rating by 1 star. Like I posted a while back. I'm very careful with stuff like that and I got very close to submitting what I thought was 5 stars for everything, but was actually a 1 star rating. So it looks like item not as described is the only one that could potentially be affected by this.

Edited to say: I am a key command freak. I've sort of trained myself, good or bad, to hit tab after every section of an online form. In cases like this, it actually is the wrong thing to do. In most, it just saves me from accidentally deleting what I just posted.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

First labels with my DYMO printer.... on the fence. Need to figure out who to have ebay not ask me every time if I want to use the java printer (even after I hit remember/allow/save)

4. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Mine eventually stopped to doing that except for the first print whenever I re-open the browser. I had the same problem for the first week or so

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Julys gonna be a really good month. I have a total of 16 defects. 8 of which were all in June. None of these were actually my fault. Buyers bid/bought an item and decided they didn't want the item. It's never been a too big a deal with me. I chose "No longer have stock" over "Buyer wants to cancel transaction" because I didn't want the cancellation request to have a negative connotation to it so I didn't receive a retaliatory negative feedback. eBay never mentioned this would ever negatively impact me so I thought it was all cool. Then the update came about saying they're gonna fuck me in the ass for being a nice guy.

Defects are slowly dropped off now, but once June ends a whole shit-ton of defects are gonna drop off and I can't wait for that.

1 person likes this.
  6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I had posted about the heels on the aes i want to sell. Here is the pic.

[​IMG]

7. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Awww, the good feedback feelz:

Quote:
    [​IMG]

Funny how much satisfaction I can get out of being told my packaging is good.

2 people like this.
  8. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I've bought from @drlivingston and realize how much my package game is lacking.

9. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Hey guys, a question about vacation mode: I'm going to be away essentially until the start of March for work. Should I set my items as hidden and not purchase-able or should I leave them visible? If I leave them visible, am I immune from 'item not received' nonsense? I would hope eBay would be decent enough that I would, but you never know...

Any thoughts or experience regarding the matter?

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I'm fairly sure even in Vacation Mode you're responsible for hitting your shipping time. It's just a display for people to see, but you have to adhere to all normal eBay rules. I'd make it all hidden while you're gone.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Jesus... that's absurd. Okay, will hide entirely. I read the thing that says people can still bid if you 'require immediate payment' which I don't: Is there any other peculiarity like that which is going to hang me up? Is vacation mode + hiding safe, then? I assume the advantage is that when you're back, your items go back into peoples' watch lists? (And I'm sorry, I'm sure this is covered, but that'd be an hour plus of time spent research... =[ )

13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Not positive on the question, and I can't tell for sure, but it looks like that heel needs to be resoled. Not just a new heel, but the construction beneath the heel. Take these into a shoe guy. A new heel costs 25 bucks, if there's the damage I might see, you are looking at a price that is going to be much much more than 25 bucks, and depending on the shoe, may make them not even worth selling, or selling on ebay with a new heel and a mention that there is slight damage to the heel. Because either the stacks are becoming unglued or the heel has split into two places. New heel = worth it, do it and just incorporate that into your asking price. New heel construction, that will be your call.
    Experience. Answered below/

If you own and operate a store and set it on Vacation mode, you will need to set the duration of your vacation. Your listings will post the duration of your trip to the buyer, informing them you you will not be able to ship. You can pause your auctions for the duration, however this isn't necessary, and I once went away for a couple weeks and did fairly well even though I was gone. With vacation mode set, there is no need to worry about update time or shipping time or any of that, eBay understands this is obviously impossible, thus doesn't enforce these rules. eBay also protects you, they inform buyers of you being away, so it is on the buyer to wait. they cannot file any claims because they were legally warned of your situation and chose to purchase anyway. They may not back out, they may not report you, all they can do is wait until you return and you ship their package.

1 person likes this.
  14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Auctions can't be hid which I think what you mean by bid? I'm not sure but if you hide your listings they don't show up anymore. Effectively it's like they're all drafts, and you just need to un-hide them to get them republished

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I've only used Vacation for a week and I hide all my items but every single thing I've read has stated you're still responsible for delivering within your stated handling time if you leave your items unhidden.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archiv...y-items-while-in-vacation-mode/qaq-p/17235573
    http://community.ebay.com/t5/Sellin...I-be-penalized-if-I-don-t-ship/qaq-p/21378866
    http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2013/11/1383621446.html

You can change your handling time to reflect how long you'll be gone, but scone's going to be gone for months.

1 person likes this.
  16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Really?? That's absurd. I definitely was not penalized, but come to think of it, it may have been before they started this whole program they got going to royally fuck sellers. Thanks for correcting me on that, guess you need to set your shipping time to indefinite, however this will then affect your discounts. I just really would advise against hiding cuz that eliminates exposure, which eliminates buyers seeing your items, which in turn eliminates possible followers and watchers for when you return. But that is just me, I lost my Power Seller status a month after this shit happened because I wasn't selling in excess at the time, just enough to get that and top seller discounts, and it was before buyers were courteous enough to just send messages instead of reporting everything, thinking it was a newly implemented system just to streamline things.

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR ITEMS UP IF YOU ARE GONE A MONTH. Not sure how to make this anymore clear. If you have questions beyond that, call ebay directly.

3 people like this.
  18. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

This is due to duration or just the fact you are gone for an extended time, whether it be a week or a month?

19. tben

tben Senior member

Hey, Brian. I'm not sure you could have made this anymore clear. Thank you for your brief, concise, response. (no sarcasm intended)

2 people like this.
  20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.