Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

When I posted that message I was on my laptop at home, and I couldn't see the stain. Now I'm in the office on a different computer, and the stain's clear. I guess the lesson's that you never know which pair of eyes is looking at which kind of screen (and screen settings).

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I, personally, don't think taking out loans without a solid business plan is a good idea. I started this as a side gig and it's been able to maintain itself while maintaining my life so I delved into it. I, probably like many, always wanted to say "Fuck it" take out a big business loan and go all in. I probably will never do this, though. Too scared of failing.

For anyone actually considering something like this, I thought I'd let you know about PayPal's Working Capital plan. Basically they give you a loan for a flat fee based on your PayPal income (last year I think). I believe someone on reddit said it was like 8% of your total years PayPal income.

They take money from each PayPal transaction from 10% up (the higher the percent you choose, the lower the total fee). I don't believe there's a time limit for you to pay, and there's no interest.

As always, use caution with any kind of loan and read the fine print. I just played with it a bit, but didn't read too much into it as I have no intention of doing it.

5. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Welcome, Dimrain!

6. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

7. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I'd be nervous about doing a .99 on an A&S because I feel like there's not enough recognition (but I may be wrong). I usually do it on Hermes or Kiton where I know people will be actively searching for those items

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You sure the chest is 26 inches? Seems farking huge for a 42, no? I'd expect 22 or maybe 23 at most.

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Well, I finished. Here are the pictures in stages. Overall, I'm happy, though I think I'm going to have to rethink my diffusion material. may need something slightly more substantial. Could be that a double layer would do the trick, but I'm not sure. We'll see. I'll do some experimenting and figure out what works best. However, it serves it's purposes: portrays accurate color, self contained, relatively easily disassembled for storage (when needed), and much sturdier.

Base painted (4'x4')
    [​IMG]

Base wrapped
    [​IMG]

Base with pvc frame base screwed in place
    [​IMG]

Frame assembled
    [​IMG]

Diffusion material and lights in place (moved that back high center light to the top so it shines down now. Total of 8 lights.
    [​IMG]

10. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

yeah the chest and waist are huge. think I should end it and realist at 100 or something?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I don't know enough about that, but my gut says that weirdly sized items do better as BIN's since the likelihood of a few people competing over them is low.

12. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

yeah I guess you're right. I figured since its july it would be the most desirable time to buy a seersucker, but I guess not if its sizing is way off.

How much would you guys price this at? I've looked at A&S a bit, and the hammer prices are all over the place.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I can encourage you to certainly end that item and get the facts right. That sizing is away off for a 42, even the waist is really big for a 42...that sounds closer to a 49-50L if that chest is accurate at 26 Pit to Pit.

Also, if you keep the listing going as a 42R/L you are going to get a SNAD case because of the sizing not fitting anyone. There is no size tag, so people will have to go based off your judgement of measurements and sizing, which is a sticky area, and a very very easy win for a buyer. Double check everything, than once all that is correct, you can decide about the auction or BIN listing! Hope this helps, just want to save you a huuuge hassle in the long run.

14. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

Thanks for the reply. I always thought the sizing had more to do with the shoulder width than the chest, and being at 19 inches I figured 42 was a close bet. If sizing has to do with the chest as a primary factor rather than secondary, I thought wrong.
    I ended the listing,
    (EDIT)

double checked measurements: chest 25, waist 25.5 (ugh) 19.75 shoulder (wtf i suck) . Im putting this listing at 48/50, seems like a solid bet.

thanks for the help. also changed to best offer.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I'll admit those shoulders do seem a bit narrow for the size, but again its bespoke so... 25 chest with that BOC, I'd put that around a 48L. Its not uncommon to find larger jackets having the same size if not bigger waist measurement. After all, us bigger guys (me included) are big for a reason, which usually includes a gut. And to say that, its also common (sometimes) to find larger jackets (big chest) to have 2-3 inches smaller measurement in the waist, because of a significant athletic build.