Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. grendel

grendel Senior member

It's quick for dropping photos in and it has nice pre-built templates. I never used eBay templates, so I'm not sure how they compare. With this I spent some time picking a template and tweaking it to show / hide the terms & conditions text. I drop however many pics onto it and it picks them up immediately. I just customize the text and it's ready to go. Then I can have a bunch of them in a folder that are ready to go and schedule them in GarageSale. Saves the $0.10 each for the scheduled start because it schedules locally. The upload is quick and you don't have to sit there and deal with the file upload to eBay. I'm not so sure about managing the auctions afterward through GarageSale, though. I've just done that through eBay like before, but that's probably just a matter of habit and familiarity.

2. suited

suited Senior member

I modified a few auctions through garagesale and it's pretty seamless.

Doing it through the eBay site itself I just used ctrl + f to search through the code for the text I wanted to change. For myself, I'd probably edit it through garage sale if I wanted to make major changes.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yeah, I did edits through GarageSale. I meant re-listing, shipping, etc.

4. suited

suited Senior member

Someone should give these descriptors a try:

Brooks Brothers Recent Navy Suit Staple 42R BITCHIN'

Chipp Grenadine Navy Tie ****DEVASTATING****

Allen Edmond Park Avenue 10.5 *Shitties is tha Titties*

**FATALITY** Brioni Silk Tie **YOU WIN**

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Only thing I find annoying is that there is a bottom scroll bar when my browser is maxed open. Never seen that before on ebay and knowing a tiny little bit about html its that somehow the width is set to a value larger then the given area instead of a set value with sides that are %. Its a tiny thing, but its the first thing I noticed and bothers me [​IMG] as soon as the page opens up as it just looks off.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Doesn't happen on my screen... hmmmm. It's set to 100%... maybe I'll just knock it down and see if that helps. Also figure I need to fix the alignment of the pictures and even up the description/measurements boxes and fix the formatting of measurements for multi-piece items. Lastly, I'd like to note... I didn't buy that suit.

*edit* I have a feeling it's because the total width ends up being 100% of the screen plus the padding around the table. Will get that fixed!

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's fine on mine. Try holding control and rolling the mouse wheel toward you one click.

9. Brianpore

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Ok, well I can fix that. Is the formatting and colors otherwise generally ok?

11. Brianpore

Yea its different, stands out from everything else. As you said. I would even up the two white boxes so they are smaller and the same size and then center them both but overall looks good.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah, but you spelled "Please" "Condition" and "Inseam" incorrectly....

Also, you may want to mention that the length is measured from the BOC to the hem...or else you will answer that question every day.

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Cool, thanks.

That's what I get for typing up my auctions in notepad. The inseam thing I do all too frequently, I actually had it right this time and switched it assuming I screwed it up :embar: I have never once had someone ask about the length, but I will include that going forward. Thanks.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh they will...and once you get 1, you will get 100. I have added it to my listings, have it included in my FAQs and they still frikkin ask.

15. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

I'd be curious to see what people think of mine as well. I still need to work on my terms and conditions though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150902592175

I've also changed my tune on leaving feedback. Yeah, as a buyer, delaying feedback still annoys me some, but I sooo understand it. I've only sold two clothing items on eBay. The last time I was an active seller was 2009. The first, a pair of shoes, still has no feedback, even though I sent a polite reminder.

The second, this 38/32 suit, was returned because it was too small for the guy's 40/36 frame. Well... duh!

A buyer not only has to remit payment, but they also have to be a conscious and considerate participant in the transaction. They both paid me fast enough, but the guy from Germany wanted me to lie on the customs form, claiming the shoes were only $18. I said no, which is probably why he's withholding feedback. These two have ruined things for my future buyers, as this is a pretty horrible track record for experimenting with me leaving feedback first.

Heck, I seem to have a hard time getting feedback on SF B&S, too.