1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Buyer can have that removed if he asks.

Setting up to block buyers with two unpaid items is the strictest policy you can set.

2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Plus, screening specific individuals.

I can't recall who manages the informal list here.

My non-payer who I wrote about yesterday has now sent me a more than 2-word email saying; "but I can pay paypal"

He is now BLOCKED.

As I tell my kids, past behaviour is the best predictor of future bahaviour.

3. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I have an item that I am convinced is perpetually cursed. I found a GIANT 4XB Polo shirt big pony at marshalls for 10 bucks NWT. (I thought that big pony was popular...). It has since sold twice at a decent price point and both times the buyer (different each time) failed to pay but promised to pay later.

This week the message was:
    "I can pay in a week, please give me one week"

One week later...
    "I can pay next week when I get my unemployment check."

BLOCKED. I am all for people giving me their money, but damn... living WAY beyond your means is an understatement with some of these folks.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Man, why haven't I been reading this thread?

OK, so this is more of a me problem than an ebay problem. Who else has no patience and compulsively checks their listings every 10 minutes while pretending to work? Is this just a symptom of me being a relatively new ebayer, a curse that will lift in good time?

I can't help yelling at the computer screen, "143 views? 14 watchers? BID ALREADY!"

And this market-value, auctions starting at a low price point only, approach to selling scares the hell out of me.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I used to check my listings compulsively. Not so much anymore, set it and forget it until the last few minutes.

Only do that for items that will draw a ton of traffic (i.e. Robert Graham). Anything else, you might as well just give it away.*

* Or be Spoo.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  7. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Silly me, I thought a Barbera sportcoat and a women's burberry london trench would generate a ton of traffic ... and they have -- just very few bids.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

People will always almost wait until the last minute to start bidding regardless. Sometimes it jumps up a ton, sometimes not :confused:

Another problem I find, is that I believe a lot of the watchers are just people hoping that no one else is watching and they will drop off as soon as the item gets bid.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I do the same, check on things to see if I have bids, watch views and watcher-count. I have been mixing it up with BIN/OBO, higher opening bid and starting something at a low price. I don't list a huge amount, so it's taking awhile to see exactly what works. Personally, I've found that starting something at a reasonable opening bid works the best. I'm happy if it goes at the opening bid and don't sweat it if I don't have a lot of views. If it goes for much more than the opening bid, I'm surprised and happy.

I will list nice items at a high BIN/OBO and see what happens. If I don't receive any offers, I change it to an auction format and find that the added pressure of an auction forces more action/bids.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Set your smart phone app to notify you when you get a bid, then you don't have to check all the time. If you don't have a smart phone, there is an ebay application that will send you a text message instead. If you don't have a phone at all, there may be an ebay application coming out soon that will mail you a letter via snail mail to let you know you have bids...

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I'm looking to do a trade with a fellow SFer in Canada (I'm in the U.S.). I have done the print a label at home and use the USPS pick up. Works great.

Can I do this for a Canada shipment? Or, do I have to go to the post office, stand in line, fill out a customs form or some other paperwork. I would like to avoid going to the Post office since the lines are always long and I am usually pressed for time. Thanks.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes, I do it all the time. Pick up is free for Priority, International, and Return Packages. The customs form is autogenerated and auto stamped with a date stamp. You will however need to swing in and pick up a clear self adhesive customs envelope /sleeve to put the 3 forms in once they print and sign them....you keep the fourth for your records. The envelopes can be ordered online for free in lots of 50...so you can have them handy for next time.

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks, Wes. :fonz: For a sub 3 lb box, I'm getting around $10 for 1st class. And, International Priority goes for $30. I guess 1st class I have to walk it to the clerks. decisions....

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nope it can be picked up.....I should have worded that in reverse order. Any International packages, domestic Priority / Express packages, or Return packages qualify for pick up.

15. suited

suited Senior member

After returning the point-and-shoot I bought that turned out to yield photos arguably no better than my iphone, I'm looking at the Nikon D3200. I think it's a pretty safe bet in terms of getting what I want, but I'll ask anyway if someone here has this camera?

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Brianpore just got a D3100...I bet it's very similar...ask him.

17. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

How do you print a label online for a 1st class package?

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh yeah....forgot...

You can't print a first class international label via paypal, but you can through ebay. You will have to go into ebay to a recently shipped transaction and click print shipping label. It will bring up the label form page for that transaction with the address already filled in from the buyer. Edit the address to the address of the SF member you are shipping to. Print label.

WARNING, if you are a Top Rated Seller, and have time constraints for shipping, this will effect your tracking for the original package. both numbers will show up in the transaction history, but the last one printed will give the date stamp to ebay for their TRS qualifications check every month.

19. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Cool, thanks. It doesn't notify the buyer on that auction with a tracking number or anything?

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member