Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The thing is, I don't think he has actually read the listing or return policies yet. That sure would have been easier, but not so entertaining.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lol:

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Too much?? I am fairly certain he will not pick up on the insult.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Spoo, question for you....why do you take 1 or 2 nice pictures on the mannequin and then the rest on the hanger? If you go though the effort to set it up, why not take all the pictures on the mannequin. Looks SOOO much better

Drooling over the 36R Canali jacket you just listed. Wish it was 36S

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I don't appreciate good pictures - I do - but I appreciate knowledgable text and detailed, honest information even more. But both is clearly the best scenario.

6. Brianpore

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Wait a minute, he refuse to ship the item back after you've refunded him? WTF!!!??? Outrageous!!!

Goddamn stupid ebay buyers!!! Thanks for sharing the story, Wes.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I would have noticed that right away. But, Im not dumb enough to think your suit was new either :lol:

That Canali jacket is the motherfuckingtits. I wish it was a 40R! My consignors have great taste what can I say.

So yeah, the pics. I wish - but I can't get detail like I do with flash photography so I need natural light. Im not in love with them either and know i need a better set up - at minimum a better hanger. But, at the moment my volume is exceeding my time so I cant pause to reconfigure anything. On the other hand, I think that some of my popularity is attributable to my pics being a little off the studio setting. Same like my old template which was "homemade" looking. Dunno, could be totally wrong, but I think people dig the everyman thing more than the web store setup - especially when youre dealing with one of a kind, individual items. Not like DVDs and shit.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

You need an intern. I'm dead serious. Go to a local business school or even undergrad business program and offer to make your business available to run an intern/externship. Small risk that you'll create local competition, but you may be able to solve that with a non-compete/nondisclosure agreement. In return, you get young, eager talent to do some of your more low-value add work. Bonus if they're well versed in tech, the arts or distribution channels -- may have a few good ideas to share with you.

My brother in law runs his own company. Very successful. But he can't break out of the model where he's doing most of the work, so he's hit a plateau in growth. I've been on him for years to find a much better "number two" person, to free him up to generate more business. You've become a choke point to your own success, I keep telling him.

10. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

I've seen this happen a number of times. And it can lead to a poor customer-service reputation due to neglected emails, etc.

11. Brianpore

Spoo, you got my info when you finally find a 5'7, 130 lb. Italian man with a huge wardrobe to consign!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  12. SpooPoker

Ive upped my wifes responsibilities tenfold since the "launch" in July, and while she is far from free :lol: she takes care of a hell of a lot. My kid is close to comprehension, but I dont think that shes quite ready to start listing yet. Though, she loves helping me measure!

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Welp. I am now the proud father of my very first eBay/Paypal dispute. Deets when I return home from this drunken weekend.

14. SpooPoker

Mazeltov!

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Results are in from my 5 ebay 10 day auctions starting at $.01 with no reserve. Every item brought a good price. My thought was that a total of $250 in bids would be OK. I ended up with $288 so I am happy with it. This was some no-big-deal new BB stuff; two pairs of pants, a couple of BF shirts and a pinstriped orphan suit coat.

If I had listed each of those items on fixed price auctions at the prices which they sold for I am convinced that they would all be unsold at this point. Giving buyers the possibility of getting a nice item for almost nothing gets plenty of interest.