• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bread Thread

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that does lend a certain credibility to his statement, yes.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yes.

Lawlz.

This butcher has pretty good products, but his pathes are too young/new, need some time for the different products used to take on each others flavors (excuse my English).

This liver wurst (a different kind of pathe) has the same problem, but makes for enjoyable eating.

Perhaps I'll post different wursts here to amuse myself. (of course only on freshly made bread, as to not stray off topic)

henrikc

Reaction score
Bringing this back to life again.

Tried my first no knead bread today. First time I've ever made homemade bread as well, and while the result wasn't perfect, I have to admit that I'm pretty proud of myself.
I used too much water when I made the dough yesterday, and I didn't realize that until I had it on top of a kitchen towel, probably due to me being half asleep. Anyways, it got really sticky and it was too late to add more flour as a last-minute rescue operation, so I decided to go with it. Bread turned out pretty good - not as tall as I had hoped, but taste-wise I'm not complaining at all.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Bringing this back to life again.

Tried my first no knead bread today. First time I've ever made homemade bread as well, and while the result wasn't perfect, I have to admit that I'm pretty proud of myself.
I used too much water when I made the dough yesterday, and I didn't realize that until I had it on top of a kitchen towel, probably due to me being half asleep. Anyways, it got really sticky and it was too late to add more flour as a last-minute rescue operation, so I decided to go with it. Bread turned out pretty good - not as tall as I had hoped, but taste-wise I'm not complaining at all.

Most no-knead recipes are very high-hydration. There's just no way that an 85% hydration dough is not going to be sticky. You can certainly add more flour to reduce the stickiness, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the no-knead process.

henrikc

Reaction score
Yep, the main problem was that I dumped it directly onto a kitchen towel (
ffffuuuu.gif
) instead of placing it on the kitchen counter, folding over and then placing on the towel. Made another one yesterday, and it turned out pretty good, so I guess it's just my complete lack of experience.

acoustichippo

Reaction score
Since this thread is alive again, I thought I should share some pictures of a wholemeal bread I baked last weekend.

P1065061.jpg

P1065064.jpg

P1065063.jpg

Personally I thought it wasn't too bad for a third attempt at breadmaking.
eh.gif
Crust was nice and firm, although I managed to char it a little. I also omitted a crumb shot because it was nothing too great. I suspect the dough was under-hydrated. A slacker dough would have formed nice large pockets. Tasted good nonetheless -- very hearty.

henrikc

Reaction score
Pleased with the outcome of this. Should've watched it more closely as some of the crust got a little overdone, but overall I'm not complaining at all!

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made banana bread this weekend. I gave it to my neighbors.
YeN0ul.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I need to start making my own french baguettes because I can't get a decent one in Toronto.

Can anyone recommend a book? I want to stress that I'm looking to replicate an authentic baguette, and not something that's just shaped like one. The latter are easy to find in TO, but they don't have the taste and texture of the real thing. That's what I'm missing.

Suggestions?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try this recipe first, that's what I use. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=112 It is unlikely you will be able to achieve better results than the best French bakery in Toronto (wherever that may be) as they may have access to specialized flour, forms, and a steam oven, but it doesn't hurt to try.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
You could try this recipe first, that's what I use. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=112 It is unlikely you will be able to achieve better results than the best French bakery in Toronto (wherever that may be) as they may have access to specialized flour, forms, and a steam oven, but it doesn't hurt to try.
i don't think i've been to the best french bakery in toronto, but everything remotely close to me sucks ass and i'm convinced i can do better. I've read about a couple places that apparently do a good baguette, but they don't replenish stocks throughout the day so unless you get there early, you're SOL. I'm not really an early riser on weekends... I think I'd prefer to do my own at this point. Apparently you need to use type 55 flour. Hopefully it's available at the st.lawrence market... If not, KA apparently has this that's a fair imitation: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...yle-flour-3-lb As for the steam oven thing, i've only been researching for a short while, but it seems pouring some in a pan in the bottom of your oven may do the trick... Matt.. since you're well-traveled and eat well, i'm curious about that book you bought. Bread this side of the atlantic is generally horrible compared to what's overseas imo. I like bread but I don't want to get one that caters too much to north america's preference for mushy bread... edit: just found the real thing in sane quantities (as opposed to 50kg bags): http://www.lepicerie.com/customer/pr...3&cat=0&page=5

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
As for the steam oven thing, i've only been researching for a short while, but it seems pouring some in a pan in the bottom of your oven may do the trick...

That and spraying it lightly as soon as it's in the oven.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads