• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beer, lovely beer

chrysalid

Reaction score
i love beer. i like wine and i like scotch and i like gin and vodka...but i love beer. without further ado here are some beers i have been drinking recently:

beer2.jpg

westmalle dubbel - now to totally contradict the opening of this thread, this stuff was pretty ******* nasty. at 7% abv it is on the strong side, but i had enjoyed duvel and kwak in the past (i'll post notes when i buy again) so i thought i'd get along fine with this sultry belgian filly. it tastes of half flat watered down chocolatey puddle water, a nothing foretaste with a faintly sickly bitter caramel aftertaste. it remeinded me of cheap english bitter, and call me a traitor to queen, country and flag, but british beer is crap. so moving swiftly on i cracked this:

beer3.jpg

pilsner urquell - just look at the colour! a deep seductive clean amber, i swear zues used this stuff to wash down the ambrosia. the bubbles are sharp and crisp, it is bone dry and his a deep hoppy aftertaste, you can tell there are no chemicals or superfluous ingredients, it is the beer equivalent of a pared down sports car, a liquid porsche 550. because it is so strong in flavour i stuck this in the freezer and chilled it right down, refreshing ice cold beer with a lovely taste. there is a flip side to this though; i have tried urquell when straight out of a crappy pub fridge and when not cold enough it is a little cloying. at only 4.4% you can drink a ton of this stuff and not want to go out and hurl furniture at german police as well, if this was the only beer they sold in the UK i would be a happy man. one more before the mrs comes home ("why the hell haven't you done the washing up? now turn 'who wants to be a millionaire' off and what the **** are you doing taking photos of your ******* beer you freak?! etc etc" domestic bliss):

beer1.jpg

this is a local supermarket own brand (the co-op) but as it says on the label is brewed in bavaria, and that mean reinheitsgebot, which means german purity law, which means minimal hangover, which means i would happily learn and speak ze deutsch in the UK if our government would pass a simmilar law over here. so, a bavarian weizen bier, nicely fizzy and zesty but it does lack some of the subtlety of the branded names. the colour is somewhat unfortunately reminiscent of a human waste product after a nasty UTI (or so i'd imagine) and it leaves a fairly strong aftertaste. standard erdinger is definitely nicer, much more delicate and creamy, but for £1.35 the co-op stuff isn't bad at all is one of my regular drinks.

recently i have also had a couple of kristallweisse beers and a lovely ukrainian unashamed copy of the bavarian heffeweizen style - no pictures though so no reviews, but there will be more to come. what beers do other SF'ers drink?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
beer really is my favorite thing to consume, bar none. I try to avoid beers that have been packaged, when I can, and I lean more towards darker beers in the winter, and wheat beers in the summer.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Funnily enough I was going to grab one of the Westmalle last night... grabbed a Speckled Hen instead (english artisanal ale). Was ok, had some hints of coriander-like soapiness and a reasonable bouquet but not too memorable.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a hop-head. I can hardly even taste anything under 50 IBU's. I'll dabble in the Belgians a bit but I always end up with an IPA. I love Three Floyd's Alpha King.

I have several great beer bars in my general vicinity, one of my favorites is the Map Room.

http://www.maproom.com/beer.htm

My local liquor store has an outstanding selection of beer as well.

http://www.samswine.com/Products/beer.aspx

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about Pabst, Blue Ribbon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads