• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
C
Certainly is! No illegal betting please : )

Have you read Shantaram? Epic read, it does mention a few interesting landmarks....
I havent read it DB, but, I now have it in my hand. GD Roberts. It certainly looks like an epic read. Cant wait to start it. Thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
I havent read it DB, but, I now have it in my hand. GD Roberts. It certainly looks like an epic read. Cant wait to start it. Thanks for the heads up

Pleasure WP1967! In my opinion it is one of the great contemporary reads - l could not put it down. I'm sure it once you have read it, it will no doubt heighten your experience of the sub continent.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's pinpoint oxford, I believe. The only Royal Oxfords that it seems Kamakura sells are spread collars, which fits my general impression that Royal = business, pinpoint = business/casual, standard Oxford = casual.

Nice looking shirts, though.

no shave Friday :slayer:

stock:

v Kamakura:

Apologies, you are right of course. This is royal oxford:

And I thought it looked the same as the Kamakura fabric, but the latter is definitely a simpler weave. Well picked up Lachy.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's pinpoint oxford, I believe. The only Royal Oxfords that it seems Kamakura sells are spread collars, which fits my general impression that Royal = business, pinpoint = business/casual, standard Oxford = casual.

Nice looking shirts, though.

People seem to stand in awe of the mystical "roll" of some manufacturer's OCBDs, like it's a giant living in the hillside. It's simply a matter of long enough collar points (3 inches plus), and an unfused and maybe even unlined collar, no secrets.

*edit not in Court so I've also got my OCBD game going today... Epaulet's model.

The points are closer together than a Kamakura, meaing that it "stands up" a bit more when unbuttoned. I like this, but it's all a matter of personal preference. On the other hand, a wider spread like the Kamakura looks better to my eye when done up with a tie. The points then tuck nicely under your lapels. I never wear OCBDs with ties, myself.

no shave Friday :slayer:

stock:

v Kamakura:

Yeah my preference is for a wider spread on BD's with some tie space so they can be worn with a tie (important when you're in my business!) like you said personal preference though. Roll is one thing, but it's having the combo of good roll, tie space and an appropriate spread that makes a good BD. I'll likely wear them mostly with knit ties and possibly some wool and maybe a few repps.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah my preference is for a wider spread on BD's with some tie space so they can be worn with a tie (important when you're in my business!) like you said personal preference though. Roll is one thing, but it's having the combo of good roll, tie space and an appropriate spread that makes a good BD. I'll likely wear them mostly with knit ties and possibly some wool and maybe a few repps.

+1. Land's End OCBD shirts also have some good tie space and a very nice collar roll. I was pleased to see recently that after an absence of some years, LE have finally reintroduced a fine pink-and-white university stripe OCBD in their "Hyde Park" shirt range.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Land's End OCBD shirts also have some good tie space and a very nice collar roll. I was pleased to see recently that after an absence of some years, LE have finally reintroduced a fine pink-and-white university stripe OCBD in their "Hyde Park" shirt range.

A lot of people on AAAC used to rave about the LE Hyde Park range I bought a white, blue and green country check a couple of years ago. I notice its not currently listed goes good with with corduroys on the weekend. Hadn't considered the knit tie option with it must investigate.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lot of people on AAAC used to rave about the LE Hyde Park range I bought a white, blue and green country check a couple of years ago. I notice its not currently listed goes good with with corduroys on the weekend. Hadn't considered the knit tie option with it must investigate.

GF, I wear them almost exclusively with knit ties and they look excellent (if I do say so myself).

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind've gone off shoe polishing lately. I stripped the mirror shine off a couple of pairs of shoes using Saphir Renovateur and am now just letting them get scuffed up.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GF, I wear them almost exclusively with knit ties and they look excellent (if I do say so myself).

Sports coat or suit? I am thinking (excuse required) of getting a new sports coat in a brown as for patten not sure at present.

And that wind is coming straight up from Falls Creek goes straight through you.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sports coat or suit? I am thinking (excuse required) of getting a new sports coat in a brown as for patten not sure at present.

And that wind is coming straight up from Falls Creek goes straight through you.

I've worn a black silk knit tie with a white OCBD shirt and charcoal suit with a white linen pocket square and black, captoe balmoral shoes in a rather conservative, US "trad" style previously.

However, I usually wear my knit ties and OCBD shirts with odd jackets and trousers - sometimes wool trousers, but also cotton and corduroy trousers.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The way to wear a black knit tie...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads