1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

By undoing the buttons and sitting down?

I agree that the jacket is too short, the sleeves too long and the waist too tight, but as for not being able to sit down, that's a stretch.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Did anyone make it along to the Double Monk trunk show this weekend?

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I didn't assert he couldn't sit down.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Funnily - none of the pictures appear to illustrate either - sprezzatura or Australia. But there you go - no barrier.

I was interested to see that use of facebook - a bit like an old web page. I liked that way of using facebook - didn't know you could do that.

edit: I'm sure I saw a pic on there of someone from here - nabil? - having a hip breakfast on a hip thornbury type milk crate thingo

1 person likes this.
  5. fxh

fxh Senior member

The shooman was there - had a great time.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No offense taken, I was sure to have control over what images were used for my piece to make sure it aligned with what we are about as a brand. Taking in to account that MJ Bale prob do the same, I think that one you posted looks much worse for them than TVG.

7. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Very smart, the pics used in your piece were much better than many of the others.

I really do not understand what MJ Bale is doing, some of their styling (not just in the TVG shoot) is just horrible. Even if the styling was better, I think the average attitude of this forum to MJ Bale is that MJB is a great place to start a wardrobe with the best entry level suit offer in Australia, but after that it just drops off. A real shame because there is so much that they could do. This forum should be really positive about their collections and various pieces, as it was about Herringbone a few years ago. The amount of Japanese made, collection label suits shrink each year, and they are too expensive to begin with compared to the competition. As an example, there is not a single good navy blazer in store or on the website.

I'm sure MJB is experiencing massive growth and beginning to make a lot of money, but if it continues to fail to provide for or even consider the preferences of slightly more experienced, older or more knowledgeable (for lack of a better word) customers then the base will just slowly erode as happened with Fletcher Jones, with Gowings and as is happening with Herringbone.

8. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Thats some good advice. To add to this I think your expressions and demeanour help in people accepting what you wear and you as a person. Being relaxed, have a smile on your face, show kindness and are interested in what people say will go a long way. People associate well dressed people in the work place with snobby nosed douche bags. Dont be one and you will be fine.

Unless they know you have 10 kids to attend to, Friday night drinks is pretty essential for the new guy. I would strongly recommend keeping your first couple of Fridays free for this.

1 person likes this.
  9. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

MJB has just opened in Brisbane. Try as I might, I couldn't get into any of it. Not only the skinny lapels, but closed front quarters - the opposite of everything good about their early stuff (which pretty well just mimicked the HB Osaka cut).

I was interested in some of the unstructured cotton DBs they did last summer - sadly there was only one, and it was green, and had ugly machined stitching on the lapels...

10. BSPF

BSPF Member

How much do you expect to pay all up (including postage) to resole these back at C&J? Wouldn't think you'd get much change from $300.

11. sliq

sliq Senior member

indeed. their top of the line collection suits that are a touch under $1,300 are now half canvassed which is mind boggling. the only advantage of buying an OTR suit that is at least half decent quality is if you can snag these suits when they're on sale. otherwise for the same price, suitshop or for a few more hundred, PJ.

1 person likes this.
  12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm always curious about advice to young career aspirants.
    I'll admit to being a small timer.
    The most people I've had under me is 400. Biggest budget $300m.
    But I've never thought that anything but performance in the job on the job plus talent and some basic humanity mattered much in the promotional stakes.

I must live in a different world.

edit for meaning /syntax

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  13. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Was planning on going today but I'm not feeling the best and decided to go see The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. A top choice, I highly recommend it, great movie.

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

MJB just released a navy blazer with patch pockets. Problem is it retails for $500 which is a little less than what I bought my Suit Shop blazer for.

15. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

and it has white stitching. wouldnotbuy/10

16. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

NO. WHY DID THEY DO THAT STITCHING???

http://www.mjbale.com/whats-new/brewongle-navy-jacket

Why would you turn the single most versatile wardrobe piece any bloke can have into a fashion-y, gaudy thing? That's a great colour navy as well, why would they freakin' ruin it?

17. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Makes you look like a complete Brewongle.

1 person likes this.
  18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Masteiring the humble brag will stand you in good stead too. I'd like to eleborate but I'm due for a call from London in 10 mins about some knighthood thingy, which is funny because I'm a terrible horse rider. Dad always pushed me into polo but it was never my thing - much preferred to just feed apples to the horses from our stable before their big races.

As for career advice, I'm afraid I'd be the last one to ask as I've never really had a career; one is jut sort of born into these things unfortunately. I mean I dabbled in a bit of painting when I lived in Venice but no one really took it seriously until the Tate decided they wanted one of my minor works to fill a wall.

C'est la vie.

2 people like this.
  19. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

WouldNotBuy/10 - I LOL'd

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Fit is everything. Quality of materials, construction and brand name are all secondary.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.