1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Is this meant to be a joke about doosras?

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. There have been articles blathering on about the demise of the tie for many years now but there are more tie companies out there now than there used to be.

One thing that I do find a bit amusing - as well as irritating - is that a lot of these articles (as well as people who don't like wearing ties) refer to ties as being like a dog collar or a sign of corporate slavery. However, they entirely fail to explain how simply removing a tie stops someone from being a corporate drone. Of course, it doesn't. Perhaps people feel freer when not wearing ties - I don't know. However, I do know that just because you don't have to wear a tie to work, doesn't remove the need to work, the need to pay off a mortgage, the need to listen to your manager and so on.

Exactly. I'm the only one in my office who wears ties as a matter of habit - my colleagues wear them when going to court or to the tribunal and then tear them off with a look of relief when they arrive back at their desks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Romp

Romp Senior member

thanks although im after either a oxford captoe plain, 3 eyelet blucher or a single monk strap in black suede.

wholecut is perhaps a tad too plain for me

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Tiny win at the op shop today. I found my first pair of C&Js - a pair of tan Chepstows. They are in a right state in nearly every respect, but I thought they could be resuscitated, so I picked them up for bugger-all. They fit me fine, so I'll send them off to the factory and see what magic they can work with them. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Disappointed at my op shop pickings, and to indulge my raging need to buy something, I went to Azzaro and bought a Brioni suit. That made me feel better. (They are knocking out the Brionis for less than the Zegnas now, for some reason. I got this for $1100). [​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Really looking forward to seeing the after photos of these boots CD.

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Hi Romp

American Tailors had a pair of Carmina black suede single monk in uk 9 not too long ago...

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Carmina uses black suede for both shoes and boots so it wouldn't be out of the question for them to make black suede shoes for you. Email Betty if you haven't already done so - she might have something in stock that's not listed on the website.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Hopefully we can tell the difference. :)

The irony is that these are in a far worse state than the shoes I donated to the op shop last week. No, I can't explain me either.

9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Tried on a pair of RMW jeans in bone for Labor meets. Pretty poor really.

Going the Levis in timberwolf for half the price.

10. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Just came across this Facebook page called Sprezzatura Australia - they seem to think it appropriate to just pull photos off tumblr and repost them as their own. Abhorrent.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  11. Romp

Romp Senior member

wow yeah

they've used some of my pics (at least referenced to suit shop) and also the profile pic is "modernartillery" in one of our PJ Napoli jackets
    https://www.facebook.com/SprezzaturaAustralia

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Fucking cringeworthy - if I were to dig deep enough I'd probably come up against statements about lifestyle design and bullshit like that.

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Lamest. Page. Ever.

Just another example of some blokes that have no idea what what they are doing, passing themselves off as experts.

3 people like this.
  14. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Glad to know that it's not just me. Argh. Angry.

15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

"Madder print: really tendy these days."

(rolls eyes)

16. JayH

JayH Senior member

I saw Leather Soul had some GC suede oxfords in their last pair sale.

17. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

iSurg, I saw that page a little while back when it had reached 100 'likes' but it's grown since then. It looks to appeal to many people.

A Movember update. This was taken last night.

[​IMG]

Thank you to everyone who's made a donation to the cause. I've raised $800. If you'd like to make a donation, please feel free at mobro.co/tarang

1 person likes this.
  18. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Agreed, anyone who uses the word "sprezzatura" and isn't being ironic probably doesn't know what they're on about.

Similarly, and I don't mean to insult you HC as your profile with them was pretty good, but The Versatile Gent gives off a similar vibe. It's super commercial, kind of "#swaggy" and they certainly qualify as "passing themselves off as experts."

For example, I cringed through this http://www.theversatilegent.com/joh...-bale-and-the-versatile-gent-double-breasted/

This photo is all around terrible:

[​IMG]

19. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I wonder how he sits in that.

20. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Mate in my opinion, when in doubt, dress up in both pro and leis circumstances. But wear a tie because you want to, not because of whether or not the majority of your colleagues are doing it. If you get a few looks about it, or get a question on it, tell them theres no reason for a man to be in any state of undress outside the home. Look them in the eye and say it confidently - that confidence will help you be well received because its an attractive trait. If you don't wear a tie to be more like the others, or wear a tie to be less like the others, I don't think its as an attractive a trait - the fact that its a decision based on the opinion of others suggests more "reactive", and not enough "boss level playa"

Yes, skipping things like Friday night drinks is not a great idea - after all, shared experiences is what builds a bond of trust. This is for both pro and personal relationships, in my opinion. I've seen many newbies who make lunch plans with their friends in their first week. I don't think this is a good idea - theres a good chance your new colleagues would want to invite you out to lunch as a welcome. Turning that down is politically not advantageous, in my opinion.

Why only in melb...

oh sydney

I AM DISAPPOINT

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.