• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
The couple of Zegna ties I own both bought on sale at Henry Bucks in 2012 are 8cm wide, wide enough if you ask me. How wide do you prefer in a tie?
Yes exactly, 8 - 9cm is my preferred choice of width. The usual at Zegna, ie the tie wall is 6 from memory and even less when David Jones used to sell them here, they seemed quite narrow and stupid looking.

In my humble view I think Drakes have the best; they have a range that comes in at 9cm, beautiful width especially given the nice textures, stripes and patterns they are using. By far my favourite ties. Am still paying off the credit card from the damage I did at the Armoury....still was great fun, they have a very good selection.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RockIt barbers on collins. No bookings, cash only. Maybe $25-$35 for a cut, but that includes a beer and a conversation about things that men talk about. 

Rockit is the Melbourne members go to. I was there this morning. No bookings usual little to no wait. $30. Beer and conversation if you want it (for a long time I had plans to open a shop called Mute Barbers). They do quiffs (probably their speciality, I usually have to push my fringe down a bit after I leave, the styling can be a little too much). Great haircuts all in all. Recommended.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
I've found jewellery, especially silver and semi-precious gems, especially good value in India. Should be able to find some fantastic value on cufflinks. Silk scarves are good value too. Oh, and books! Load up your suitcase on the trip back.

If it's your first trip, you have to find time to go to Agra and see the Taj and the Red Fort. The old city in Delhi is great too, as is the Indian National Museum.

They've just built themselves a new Metro. Would be interested in your opinion of how well it works. I gather it would make a Melbournian weep at what they've been able to get done in a relatively short time.
Loving the book suggestion. Am a bit of a book horder...!!

Was reading about the Metro last night, looking forward to that, will be an experience Im sure.

Will look out for cufflinks, good suggestion.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
+1 on the jewellery.

Taj Mahal is majestic.

Scarves are a big winner in India. I have so many not enough that put Drakes' offerings to shame and they cost a fraction of the price.
Hmm, will keep this in mind too. Am in need of a couple of new scarves.

Think I will have sometime at the back end of the trip to take in the Taj, should be an experience and a half.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Catch a Twenty 20 game while you are there! Even if you are not a cricket fan the experience would be amazing.... +1 on buying jewelery there too
Am I there in cricket season? Or is this just the dumbest question ever? Its cricket season all year round Im guessing. Anyway, yes, I will look into this too. Stadium full of fanatics will be something else Im sure

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
dp : (

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
C
Am I there in cricket season?  Or is this just the dumbest question ever?  Its cricket season all year round Im guessing.  Anyway, yes, I will look into this too.  Stadium full of fanatics will be something else Im sure

Certainly is! No illegal betting please : )

Have you read Shantaram? Epic read, it does mention a few interesting landmarks....

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rockit is the Melbourne members go to. I was there this morning. No bookings usual little to no wait. $30. Beer and conversation if you want it (for a long time I had plans to open a shop called Mute Barbers). They do quiffs (probably their speciality, I usually have to push my fringe down a bit after I leave, the styling can be a little too much). Great haircuts all in all. Recommended.

I have my own sekret hair shop - its a local and $25 - its why I always look sauve.

Rockit is good - but depending where your mate is staying - there are a multitude of similar good places in all the hipster and inner areas. Richmond, Fitzroy, Brunswick, etc. And also the suburbs now.

Mens only - usually call themselves barbers not hairdressers, a beer is included in price or a good coffee in some , they will have a turntable playing vinyl in the shop with old retro speakers etc. Johnny Cash is a favourite. Old soul music .The barbers will be inked up to the max. All seem to have a big rockabilly gene in their DNA. so good hairdos are a specialty. Due to the infestation of hipsters they also do beards well.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok guys quick review of my Kamakura shirts. Owning my own company now I wouldn't normally do these anymore but seen as quite a few asked I'm more than happy to.

To draw a conclusion at the start, they are basically bloody perfect for me. The new york slim cut has nice long sleeves (91cm for a 41), and a really nice long body as well, slim through the waist and chest without being tight, It's near on the fit I have already from Cottonwork, but that's just me of course.

Collar roll fresh out of the box is fantastic, as is the tie space which is something almost all BD makers get wrong. I can only imagine the roll will get better as it's washed a few times and wrinkled up. The fabric is also softer than I expected. I got both shades of blue, the lighter and slightly darker version, which I'd call the classic oxford blue colour.

My one criticism is the darts at the back. Given how long according to their blog they worked on getting the collar right it's disapointing that they didn't spend some more time on the waist and getting rid of the darts. Anyway it's a small critique and overall not a major issue for me. Although I don't wear pockets on my shirts they just seem right on OCBD's as does having a placket. Anyway, I took a few photo's as well -

Cheers
Jason

Very nice. That type of oxford cloth - royal oxford I think it's called - is my favourite cloth. Very hardwearing, warm when it needs to be, reasonably iron friendly, and breathes as well. Basically your year-round, all-round, versatile shirt. Shame they are all sold out on their website!

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice. That type of oxford cloth - royal oxford I think it's called - is my favourite cloth. Very hardwearing, warm when it needs to be, reasonably iron friendly, and breathes as well. Basically your year-round, all-round, versatile shirt. Shame they are all sold out on their website!

That's pinpoint oxford, I believe. The only Royal Oxfords that it seems Kamakura sells are spread collars, which fits my general impression that Royal = business, pinpoint = business/casual, standard Oxford = casual.

Nice looking shirts, though.

People seem to stand in awe of the mystical "roll" of some manufacturer's OCBDs, like it's a giant living in the hillside. It's simply a matter of long enough collar points (3 inches plus), and an unfused and maybe even unlined collar, no secrets.

*edit not in Court so I've also got my OCBD game going today... Epaulet's model.

The points are closer together than a Kamakura, meaing that it "stands up" a bit more when unbuttoned. I like this, but it's all a matter of personal preference. On the other hand, a wider spread like the Kamakura looks better to my eye when done up with a tie. The points then tuck nicely under your lapels. I never wear OCBDs with ties, myself.

no shave Friday :slayer:

stock:

v Kamakura:

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score

I usually have to push my fringe down a bit after I leave, the styling can be a little too much...

I now make sure I visit Rockit just before I go to the gym - that way I can 'fix things up' afterwards...

CHECKstar

Reaction score

I usually have to push my fringe down a bit after I leave, the styling can be a little too much...

I now make sure I visit Rockit just before I go to the gym - that way I can 'fix things up' afterwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads