• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need to get my first pair of glasses. I know nothing, but what I've found is that a sort of Boston-ish shape, and something with thinner frames in a lighter color work well for me.
I'm in Japan. There are tons of great shops, but I find they are quite expensive and also that most stores primarily stock quite thick and darker frames, and thinner, lighter frames are a bit of a rare species. I found some Beausoleils--more specifically their "012-xxxx" model--in a nice light green (looks greyish) that work pretty well, but are almost $500 out the door. Here is a pic of a Beausoleil 012 in a darker model.

This brand seemed nice to me. Any thoughts? I do not want to spend $500 at all, but I am tempted to just because they are the best that I have found so far. And I quite liked the very natural green.
Where should I look for similar, but less expensive options, if possible, in Tokyo?
I just discovered the Masunaga store in Aoyama and will be headed there sometime soon. Any other ideas?
(cross posted from the not very active "stylish eye glasses" thread)

$500 seems to be too deep for any glasses. and I do agree that Japanese make really good handmade glasses and you can probably find them in the $300 to $400 range.

you can also search for "less than human" for thinner frames.

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into the brands you both mentioned.

I found some frames from Bros. Japan ** Classics that looked pretty good. Any thoughts on this brand, or these frames?

Totakeke

Reaction score
So are there actually any recommendation for frames under 200 retail? Preferably metal frames.

I've been looking around shops in Singapore for frames and they're selling Mykita frames for like USD600 which is definitely a turn off. I think instead of getting an expensive pair, I want to try something much cheaper to see if I actually want to fork that much for a pair of frames in the future.

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
I actually got my Barton Perreira Phelps frame for $190 on eBay. Apparently Barton Perreira don't make this model anymore so I had to look elsewhere, looks and feels like the real deal (but what do I know?) I've got a longish neck and a narrow face so most things work for me, these frames are nice.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

Need to get my first pair of glasses. I know nothing, but what I've found is that a sort of Boston-ish shape, and something with thinner frames in a lighter color work well for me.
I'm in Japan. There are tons of great shops, but I find they are quite expensive and also that most stores primarily stock quite thick and darker frames, and thinner, lighter frames are a bit of a rare species. I found some Beausoleils--more specifically their "012-xxxx" model--in a nice light green (looks greyish) that work pretty well, but are almost $500 out the door. Here is a pic of a Beausoleil 012 in a darker model.

This brand seemed nice to me. Any thoughts? I do not want to spend $500 at all, but I am tempted to just because they are the best that I have found so far. And I quite liked the very natural green.
Where should I look for similar, but less expensive options, if possible, in Tokyo?
I just discovered the Masunaga store in Aoyama and will be headed there sometime soon. Any other ideas?
(cross posted from the not very active "stylish eye glasses" thread)

Being in Japan I would go with a Japanese brand. There are TONS that are well made and you can probably get them for a bit less than $500. Masunaga, Kio Yamato, Yellow Plus, 999.9, Toki, and so on.

Just a follow up on the Beausoleils. They are actually stamped Made in Japan, and I also should have mentioned they are titanium and the actual model number is FREDERIC BEAUSOLEIL “MTA42”. Here are the actual green frames I am considering:

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into the brands you both mentioned.
I found some frames from Bros. Japan ** Classics that looked pretty good. Any thoughts on this brand, or these frames?

I have briefly seen those frames. The quality was not as good as I wanted them to be. They were okay, but the quality of the acetate is not as good as what you'd expect from other Japanese frames.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So are there actually any recommendation for frames under 200 retail? Preferably metal frames.
I've been looking around shops in Singapore for frames and they're selling Mykita frames for like USD600 which is definitely a turn off. I think instead of getting an expensive pair, I want to try something much cheaper to see if I actually want to fork that much for a pair of frames in the future.

Metal frames in what kind of style? Conservative? Funky? Colorful? Neutral? Including lenses?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not eyeglasses, but hows SUPER quality?

I wanted to check out their booth at the Vision Expo East this year but I didnt have time. I haven't had long term experience with the frames but from what I could tell from handling them a few times...The material was good but the fit was not ideal. The nose bridges were not built up like a frame should be built up. The fit was quite poor IMO. Mind you, I haven't seen their newest release.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a follow up on the Beausoleils. They are actually stamped Made in Japan, and I also should have mentioned they are titanium and the actual model number is FREDERIC BEAUSOLEIL “MTA42”. Here are the actual green frames I am considering:

There are TONS of frames that are made in Japan. Japan is known for the excellent plastic and titanium work. Salt, Prodesign, Oliver Peoples (at one point) and other have manufactured their titanium frames there.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

There are TONS of frames that are made in Japan. Japan is known for the excellent plastic and titanium work. Salt, Prodesign, Oliver Peoples (at one point) and other have manufactured their titanium frames there.

Thanks for the info. I had seem some websites where it was stated that all Beausoleils were handmade in France. That seems to be not the case.

kumizi

Reaction score
sunglass recommendations for a roundish face?

currently have the maui jim dawn patrol and looking for 2nd pair (probably metal frame and not black)

mauijim.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads