• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a pair of rectangular glasses (acetate) that's bold with color (bright green, red, orange). Not finding a lot of people out there even at the $300 range. Theo's really the only one that I see touching this. What are some other designers around that price range who are a little avant garde? If it makes a difference, I live in NYC.

Try Kirk Originals. Mosley Tribes just came out witt some cool colorways, but I don't know if they did the official release yet. Mykita, I think, has Mylon frames that are in those colors as well. O&X has some orange templed frames. Mikli by Mikli has some cool colors too. Hope that helps.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about Tom Davies? hype or real?

Also, if I wanted to score some real tortoiseshell in the US (vintage I am guessing given the ban) who should I talk to?

Tom Davies, I'm not sure because I have not had any long term experience with them.

In terms of real tortoiseshell, I'm not sure of anyone who makes them right now. You're going to have to do a lot of searching for that one. The only company that "may" be able to help you that I know of might be Baum Vision. They make custom frames with luxury materials but it will come at a price tag.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think #1 is sitting a bit too low.

Late but 2 looks a lot better to my untrained eye.
Sidenote: Can anyone ID a pair of double bridge optical glasses that are acetate/plastin in the front and the temple is metal-ish and has little boxes near the hinge... Sorry for the vague description. I saw some dude rocking them on the train today and it resembled the pair I had that broke but cooler. I might get them next if anyone can ID them ;) Thanks for the help!

thanks for the input guys. I ordered #2. This is a pair of Roosevelt Chestnut from Warby Parker. I am aware of the slightly poor quality glasses, but I guess I will try and see how it is. If it's not that good I will get new ones when I go back to Asia in the summer. Glasses are much cheaper back in Asia. Anyone has any idea why? are they all made in China?

I wouldn't say they are poor quality. They are not the best but the quality matches their price point. It is a value item BUT at least the price tag reflects it.

In Asia, cheap frames are much cheaper. Name brands are cheaper in North America. Of course, you'll find cheap and expensive shops in both, but that's just a rule of thumb.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need a pair of prescription sunglasses, and I'm trying to decide between regular lenses with 90% solid tint or Transitions Xtraactive lenses...anyone have a comment/experience with the latter? I haven't found a place with demo xtraactive lenses to try out and I'd be buying them blind (haha). I like the idea of being somewhere like a boardwalk or an amusement park, and being able to walk indoors briefly without having to worry about switching glasses, but still have really dark sunglasses when outside. Or also the added convenience of having the tint lighten somewhat when outdoors and suddenly becomes overcast. I would still carry around a pair of regular glasses for extended indoor situations. I realize the Xtraactives will cost a lot more, but I don't mind paying extra for the added convenience, assuming it works out for me.

There is a misconception with Tansition lenses. They will NOT turn clear right when you walk indoors. It will take 10mins or so to become clear. If you're going in and out of shops, you'll actually never get clear lenses. It turns dark much quicker (maybe a min or 2). But definitely it will take longer to become clear. As well, when you're in the car, it won't change colors very much. Most modern day cars have a UV filter in the windshield.

If you do a lot of indoor/outdoor activities, have you considered clip-ons?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know if there's any online stores selling Iyoko Inyake? I found this pair in one store but am finding it difficult to find it elsewhere. It's currently selling for $550... which is a little steep. Or does anyone know if anything similar is available?

Iyoko Ineyake's quality is not up to par with their price point, in my opinion. Their acetate frames not merit that price point. Unless you can find that for under $250, I would find another frame.

Sorry if I'm bursting your bubble. I'm just trying to give you a "real world" perspective.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some OPs are still made in Japan, particularly the vintage models, however, some newer models are now made in Italy. OP was acquired by Luxottica sometime ago, so It wouldn't surprise me if some of the glasses are made in the same factory in Italy as all the other Luxottica owned brand.

If OP are made in Italy now, I would stand clear of them. I haven't seen any recently, but their old frames were amazing quality. LUX manufactures are better than some of the other big players, but they will never be as good as "boutique" eyeglass companies.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I like the 2nd pair. The proportions are better and the shape suits you better.

I wouldn't say they are poor quality. They are not the best but the quality matches their price point. It is a value item BUT at least the price tag reflects it.
In Asia, cheap frames are much cheaper. Name brands are cheaper in North America. Of course, you'll find cheap and expensive shops in both, but that's just a rule of thumb.

cool thanks for the info.

I picked the 2nd pair cuz it fits my face better. the 1st pair is cool but not as practical as the 2nd imo.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cool thanks for the info.
I picked the 2nd pair cuz it fits my face better. the 1st pair is cool but not as practical as the 2nd imo.

Agree. The 1st one is a great 2nd pair. Something to throw on when you're going out on the weekends or such, but the ones you picked are much better proportions and color, IMO.

Tino Bar

Reaction score
hello i have been trying to I.D this pair of eye glasses for the longest time

some help would be greatly welcomed or at least the brand

xulpe

Reaction score
What do you think about paying 450$ for a pair of Undostrials? worth the price point?

gigisor

Reaction score
I tried on one pair of Mikli Starck frame yesterday and felt pretty comfortable. But they are pricy. I am curious whether the patent bio-hinge would be more durable than classical screw one. Any experience?

LMF

Reaction score

Iyoko Ineyake's quality is not up to par with their price point, in my opinion. Their acetate frames not merit that price point. Unless you can find that for under $250, I would find another frame.
Sorry if I'm bursting your bubble. I'm just trying to give you a "real world" perspective.

Ah I needed my bubble to be bursted anyhow. Given how bad my prescriptions are, it would be another $150-200 ontop of that. Thanks for the reality check. What are your thoughts on Entourage of 7s? Found a pair around $400... I feel like I'm walking the same path but wanted an experts opinion to validate my silliness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads