• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

menschenfeind

Reaction score
or this
gris-schwarzweis-in-farbe.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Conservative and modern designs. Doesn't have to include lenses, but I'd be interested in what you'd recommend for lenses included.

I thought I had responded to this post but I guess I didn't.

For metal frames under $200, there aren't maybe "great" manufactures. For under $200 for a plastic frame there are tons of bang for the buck brands. Imho, If you want a well made frame you will have to stretch your budget to, say $300. If you want to stay within your budget, I would say, Lacoste, Flexon (super simple design), Mikli by Mikli (more funky), Carrera (big bang for the buck), Banana Republic, or Converse (might be a bit more, but should be under $200). If you extend it to say $300, you could probably dip into O&X, MODO, Prodesign, Lightec, Adidas, and even into name brands like Gucci, G.Armani, Prada Sport and so on. If you want to go into a rimless you can try Minima, probably the best bang for the buck rimless on the market.

Edgein

Reaction score
CC, Just for the fun of it, fitting aside, what are your favorite brands/models no price limit whatsoever? In other words, who makes the best frames out there? I think this may be an interesting topic.

EvoM

Reaction score
Hello CC,

I've been wearing a Silhouette TMA imitation the last two years, although I never intended to keep it that much, it still took a fair amount of abuse and its time to move on to something else, basically I'm looking for a reliable, stylish, and invincible rimless frame that would fit great with the aviation headset which I wear for work.

Do you think that a Silhouette TMA would be my best choice? or is there is anything else worth looking into like Seiko Minima perhaps?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey CC -

Currently looking at the Etnia (I believe) AB sunglasses as well as the Oliver Peoples Basel. The latter seems to better suit my face but I'm looking for other options with a similar shape as alternatives. Do you have any suggestions? Price isn't a huge concern (the Basel was $380), and while I'd like to spend less, if I love 'em, it's fine. Appreciate your help!

Totakeke

Reaction score

I thought I had responded to this post but I guess I didn't.
For metal frames under $200, there aren't maybe "great" manufactures. For under $200 for a plastic frame there are tons of bang for the buck brands. Imho, If you want a well made frame you will have to stretch your budget to, say $300. If you want to stay within your budget, I would say, Lacoste, Flexon (super simple design), Mikli by Mikli (more funky), Carrera (big bang for the buck), Banana Republic, or Converse (might be a bit more, but should be under $200). If you extend it to say $300, you could probably dip into O&X, MODO, Prodesign, Lightec, Adidas, and even into name brands like Gucci, G.Armani, Prada Sport and so on. If you want to go into a rimless you can try Minima, probably the best bang for the buck rimless on the market.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'll look into the brands you mentioned.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="lovelux2010"
hi guys, i bought the oliver peoples deacon (size 50/19 147).
i am not sure if they are a bit too big, or if the fit is good (pics should be attached)? i wear the lance R oliver peoples eyeglasses in a 50, but these feel a lot wider.
what do you guys think?[/quote]
Personally as a sunglass I think the size is fine. Sunglasses get a pass even if they are bit larger.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey CC -
Currently looking at the Etnia (I believe) AB sunglasses as well as the Oliver Peoples Basel. The latter seems to better suit my face but I'm looking for other options with a similar shape as alternatives. Do you have any suggestions? Price isn't a huge concern (the Basel was $380), and while I'd like to spend less, if I love 'em, it's fine. Appreciate your help!

Without the trim on the side the frame shape is quite common. You should be able to find them in Maui Jims, Salt Optics, and more. The style is quite conservative. I would suggest to take a picture of the frame that you have and visit some shops. I think any decent shop should be able to give you 5-10 examples of a similar shape or style.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello CC,

I've been wearing a Silhouette TMA imitation the last two years, although I never intended to keep it that much, it still took a fair amount of abuse and its time to move on to something else, basically I'm looking for a reliable, stylish, and invincible rimless frame that would fit great with the aviation headset which I wear for work.

Do you think that a Silhouette TMA would be my best choice? or is there is anything else worth looking into like Seiko Minima perhaps?

Seiko is just the distributor for Minima in the US. It's like saying Safilo Gucci. Minima is not affiliated with Seiko other than being the distributor.

Between the Silhouette and Minima I would suggest Minima. First off, it is not as "common" as silhouette. In terms of quality, I would say that their quality exceeds Silhouette. The deigns are MUCH easier to adjust and they are afterall MINIMALISTIC designs. The temple design of the Minima Zero and Minima Zero Pliante will fit tight to your head and very snug.

BTW, since you mention you had the Silhouette imitations, the quality of the Minima will be significantly better than the ones you had. The imitations are made of inferior materials so they are actually not "flexible" they are "malleable". They will bend and stay bent out of shape whereas the MInima and Silhouette will come back to the original position/shape.

Side note: The owner of Minima is a really great gentleman. Super professional and passionate about his product. That in itself, to me, is a perfect reflection of their product.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads