• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

SpY0o2

Reaction score
hello! I'm a dude with a wide face, and I've had difficulty finding a pair of vintage-circular plastic frames like those of Oliver Peoples and Garrett Leight. I think I need something where the Lens width is > 55mm. The closest thing I've found is the Elbe by Reiz, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. At this point, I'm contemplating getting the Oliver People's Corie sunglasses, and pop in optical lenses instead..

any suggestions of circular frames that have > 55m lens widths?

Thank you!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hello i have been trying to I.D this pair of eye glasses for the longest time

some help would be greatly welcomed or at least the brand

The logo and style kind of looks like a Converse frame. Also, Prodesign has many styles that are similar.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Review:

I got a little gift from Persol and Seiko Transition for a test run. I haven't been a huge fan of Transitions but maybe this will broaden my view.

20120424_165224.jpg

20120420_102330.jpg

20120420_102405.jpg

20120420_102433.jpg

Initial thoughts: Their barreled metal in the temple is actually quite well made. It allows flexibility while still maintain the shape. The only concern I see is that the frame MUST be adjusted in order for the frame to fit well. If you buy the frame online, chances are that they frame won't fit all that well. The acetate that is used is very good. Most likely Italian acetate. It is nice to see that the barrels in the temple are actually a useful piece and not just a piece of useless metal on the temple.

In terms of the lenses, the anti reflection coating seems like it has been coated multiple times and reflects a nice color. The lenses are quite flat and thin.

I haven't had the lenses mounted yet, so I'll update as I "enjoy" this combo of frame and lenses.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Review:
Brand: Grafik: Plastic
Material: TR90 and Stainless Steel
Style: Bold
Quality: They are more pricey than most acetate frames that size but they are much lighter. The TR90 material itself has a great thickness to weight ratio, making them fairly light. The styling is similar to that of SUPER but they fit much better, especially on asian noses. Also,they have interchangeable temples for different colors.
Availability: as of now, they are not available in North America from what I understand. I have 2 pieces as samples and for sale, but I will most likely be doing more work with them if the terms are right.

Enjoy the pics on frames that you probably haven't seen and you might not see again.
20120425_141207.jpg

20120425_141534.jpg

20120425_141418.jpg

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally found the perfect pair of clear frames. These are made by SALT. I picked them up at Veo Optics in SF. They said that a number of people have ordered these with blue sunglass lenses. Hmmmmm.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please visit and join my "Ken's Eyewear Club" in Yahoo Groups. Anyone can join for free, and members get to see all the attachments. The club has been going since 1999....:thumbs-up:

Edgein

Reaction score
Have you fitted the BP Gilbert? They are kind of small. I'd find a store and try them on. I have some Kerouac's that fit me perfectly.

Edgein

Reaction score
The frame. I went into a shop looking for a certain style and the owner suggested that the frame was too small for me. Put me into the Kerouac which I fit well.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Edgein

Reaction score
There is a joke there somewhere. Seriously, I'd find a shop that stocks BP and try them on. They may not have the color you want, but you will save some shipping/headaches.
Good hunting.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Need to get my first pair of glasses. I know nothing, but what I've found is that a sort of Boston-ish shape, and something with thinner frames in a lighter color work well for me.

I'm in Japan. There are tons of great shops, but I find they are quite expensive and also that most stores primarily stock quite thick and darker frames, and thinner, lighter frames are a bit of a rare species. I found some Beausoleils--more specifically their "012-xxxx" model--in a nice light green (looks greyish) that work pretty well, but are almost $500 out the door. Here is a pic of a Beausoleil 012 in a darker model.

This brand seemed nice to me. Any thoughts? I do not want to spend $500 at all, but I am tempted to just because they are the best that I have found so far. And I quite liked the very natural green.

Where should I look for similar, but less expensive options, if possible, in Tokyo?

I just discovered the Masunaga store in Aoyama and will be headed there sometime soon. Any other ideas?

(cross posted from the not very active "stylish eye glasses" thread)

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need to get my first pair of glasses. I know nothing, but what I've found is that a sort of Boston-ish shape, and something with thinner frames in a lighter color work well for me.
I'm in Japan. There are tons of great shops, but I find they are quite expensive and also that most stores primarily stock quite thick and darker frames, and thinner, lighter frames are a bit of a rare species. I found some Beausoleils--more specifically their "012-xxxx" model--in a nice light green (looks greyish) that work pretty well, but are almost $500 out the door. Here is a pic of a Beausoleil 012 in a darker model.

This brand seemed nice to me. Any thoughts? I do not want to spend $500 at all, but I am tempted to just because they are the best that I have found so far. And I quite liked the very natural green.
Where should I look for similar, but less expensive options, if possible, in Tokyo?
I just discovered the Masunaga store in Aoyama and will be headed there sometime soon. Any other ideas?
(cross posted from the not very active "stylish eye glasses" thread)

Being in Japan I would go with a Japanese brand. There are TONS that are well made and you can probably get them for a bit less than $500. Masunaga, Kio Yamato, Yellow Plus, 999.9, Toki, and so on.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a place in Vancouver where I can buy/try on the brands of glasses that are recommended in this thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads