• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Mannion

Reaction score
I bought some new dress shoes and when I walk I feel a tiny bit of pain because the vamps crease over where my toe meets my foot. Should I return them or will this go away as I break them in?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a casual linen shirt with button down collar. Is it OK to wear it with these side collar buttons unbuttoned for even more casual look?

No don’t do this. It looks crap. And there are plenty of non button down linen shirt options out there from Uniqlo to Lands End to Kamakura etc.

blocky

Reaction score
I am breaking in a new pair of black Allen Edmonds Maclennans by wearing them for a few hours around the house after work. Should I put shoe trees in them after doing so?

Moose22

Reaction score
I am breaking in a new pair of black Allen Edmonds Maclennans by wearing them for a few hours around the house after work. Should I put shoe trees in them after doing so?
Yes, absolutely.

Pretty much always store your shoe with trees. Everything from shape as the shoes rest to regulating moisture that might have gotten inside from your foot is handled by good cedar trees, and it won't affect break in. That comes from movement, body heat, pressing yourself into the cork so the insole shapes to your foot, flexing of the leather around your foot, etc.

bert9000

Reaction score
I've been eyeing an overcoat, 10% cashmere 90% wool, on eBay. However, it's only half-lined. Would this be a problem if I wanted to stay warm? Winters here can go below -30° C. Thanks!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing an overcoat, 10% cashmere 90% wool, on eBay. However, it's only half-lined. Would this be a problem if I wanted to stay warm? Winters here can go below -30° C. Thanks!

What weight is the fabric? That, the cut and how it’s lined are more important than the outright fabric composition (says the man who just took delivery of a cashmere overcoat)...

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What weight is the fabric? That, the cut and how it’s lined are more important than the outright fabric composition (says the man who just took delivery of a cashmere overcoat)...

I don't think having lining or lack thereof will make much difference at -30. As stated by @SimonC, it is more a funtion of the cut and weight of the fabric.

bert9000

Reaction score

I'm not sure about the weight, but here's the coat. Pretty standard single-breasted.

The half-lining is what I'm worried about.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
when having shirts, with either MOP or troca, is this true that sometimes the edges are not flush due to the nature of the product?
thx

Attachments

• D750C6AF-6187-4772-8427-FD27EBDBEB84.jpeg
    D750C6AF-6187-4772-8427-FD27EBDBEB84.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 34214158-B47F-4D6F-A06B-33813BB1C65D.jpeg
    34214158-B47F-4D6F-A06B-33813BB1C65D.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 97

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads