• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Mannion

Reaction score
I bought some new dress shoes and when I walk I feel a tiny bit of pain because the vamps crease over where my toe meets my foot. Should I return them or will this go away as I break them in?

jayvee

Reaction score
What are good brands for fine wool scarves? Along the lines of Drakes, Cordone 1952 ?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a casual linen shirt with button down collar. Is it OK to wear it with these side collar buttons unbuttoned for even more casual look?
No don’t do this. It looks crap. And there are plenty of non button down linen shirt options out there from Uniqlo to Lands End to Kamakura etc.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are good brands for fine wool scarves? Along the lines of Drakes, Cordone 1952 ?
Begg and Co is very solid. Most of the high end manufacturers of sweaters, like Inis Meain, have scarf offerings as well.

blocky

Reaction score
I am breaking in a new pair of black Allen Edmonds Maclennans by wearing them for a few hours around the house after work. Should I put shoe trees in them after doing so?

Moose22

Reaction score
I am breaking in a new pair of black Allen Edmonds Maclennans by wearing them for a few hours around the house after work. Should I put shoe trees in them after doing so?
Yes, absolutely.

Pretty much always store your shoe with trees. Everything from shape as the shoes rest to regulating moisture that might have gotten inside from your foot is handled by good cedar trees, and it won't affect break in. That comes from movement, body heat, pressing yourself into the cork so the insole shapes to your foot, flexing of the leather around your foot, etc.

bert9000

Reaction score
I've been eyeing an overcoat, 10% cashmere 90% wool, on eBay. However, it's only half-lined. Would this be a problem if I wanted to stay warm? Winters here can go below -30° C. Thanks!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing an overcoat, 10% cashmere 90% wool, on eBay. However, it's only half-lined. Would this be a problem if I wanted to stay warm? Winters here can go below -30° C. Thanks!
What weight is the fabric? That, the cut and how it’s lined are more important than the outright fabric composition (says the man who just took delivery of a cashmere overcoat)...

hpreston

Reaction score
What weight is the fabric? That, the cut and how it’s lined are more important than the outright fabric composition (says the man who just took delivery of a cashmere overcoat)...
I don't think having lining or lack thereof will make much difference at -30. As stated by @SimonC, it is more a funtion of the cut and weight of the fabric.

bert9000

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the weight, but here's the coat. Pretty standard single-breasted.

The half-lining is what I'm worried about.

ahtynes

Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 74 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 144 32.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 8 1.8%