• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Casual linen dress shirt sizing questions:

My usual collar size is 15 to 15 1/4 but I need to upsize to 15 1/2 on a slim fit or it gets too tight around my chest. Does the "1 finger collar" rule still matter if I have no intention of buttoning up? The 15 1/2 size collar has room for 2 fingers.

Will a good 100% linen shirt shrink after washing? I mean should I avoid buying a linen shirt that fits "perfect" OTR?

Thanks.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
100 % linen will shrink. Especially if u put it in a washing machine..

Expect approximately 5% shrinkage
I've heard about prewashed linen. Is it possible to tell if the linen has been washed already at the factory just by looking at the washing instructions label so there will be no shrinkage and therefore you don't have to size up?

Last edited:

EUtroll

Reaction score
Any recommendations for where to look for good quality wool sweaters?

Haven't restocked my sweater wardrobe for many years now so no clue where to look for good quality, durable pieces. Very happy with my old stuff from John Smedley but do find 200 € for a wool jumper a bit excessive.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to remove those dry cleaner wrinkles on the collar, placket, and pocket of a shirt? Is it just steaming, or washing and ironing?

papado

Reaction score
What's the best way to remove those dry cleaner wrinkles on the collar, placket, and pocket of a shirt? Is it just steaming, or washing and ironing?
You'll likely have to iron them unless they're very shallow and some steam can get rid of it. I iron all my shirts after I get them back from the cleaners to avoid exactly this--yes, it's overkill I'm a big fan of a good hand press nowadays!

IJReilly

Reaction score
Any recommendations for where to look for good quality wool sweaters?

Haven't restocked my sweater wardrobe for many years now so no clue where to look for good quality, durable pieces. Very happy with my old stuff from John Smedley but do find 200 € for a wool jumper a bit excessive.
I find Arket to have reasonably priced and decent quality knitwear.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize these glasses? michou lives in Paris so I'm guessing French?

blocky

Reaction score
By sheer luck, I was invited to my first black tie event (charity event in Vancouver, so all manner of non-black-tie will be on display) in the same week that I received a coupon for a free tuxedo from Moores. Unfortunately, all they had was two button peak lapel Joseph Abboud. As far as I can tell the other details are mostly correct (two vents, no pocket flaps, satin strip on pants, etc). I plan to buy a self tie black bow tie and cummerbund, and will be getting a shirt from proper cloth.

My question is about the shirt details. Pique bib? Pleats? Neither? I am thinking double french cuff with some simple links and their semi-spread or english spread collar.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I have a casual linen shirt with button down collar. Is it OK to wear it with these side collar buttons unbuttoned for even more casual look?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I have a casual linen shirt with button down collar. Is it OK to wear it with these side collar buttons unbuttoned for even more casual look?
Yes, do it all the time. Just don’t wear your watch over your cuff and you’ll be fine

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 74 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 144 32.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 8 1.8%