• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

papado

Reaction score
Quick question. Would you assume that your inseam length is standard to most trousers? Ie is it safe to give a tailor a dozen pairs of different trousers and request the same inseam when hemming?

In theory it should work, but I've really only ever done this for the exact same model of trousers in different fabrics/colors. It's just easier to make sure each one is marked properly than assuming all will work and ending up wasting you and the tailor's time if it doesn't work out well.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question. Would you assume that your inseam length is standard to most trousers? Ie is it safe to give a tailor a dozen pairs of different trousers and request the same inseam when hemming?
This will not work if the trousers have different rises.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah where the heck did the tailoring/fitcheck thread go? cant find it

t0ronto

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the quality of Loro Piana scarves vs the regular Burberry scaves? I know Johnstons of Elgin likely produces the scarves for Burberry, I'm just trying to figure out of the extra price of the Loro Piana ones are worth the extra cost over the Burberry ones or if they are of similar relative quality. I figure that there wouldn't be as much disparity between scarf quality between brands as there would be between sweaters and cardigans for example, but then again I could very well be wrong. Thanks

t0ronto

Reaction score
^ Guess no one knows? I know people on here have experience with these items

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah where the heck did the tailoring/fitcheck thread go? cant find it

IGF

Reaction score
Logging back in after several years. New look/format to the board, how can I increase the posts per page? This UX is bloody infuriating.

mercury

Reaction score
I'm very slowly upgrading wardrobe to bespoke.

Currently have 2x RTW navy sportcoats (unstructured plain navy worsted, cotton herringbone) that I rarely wear except as beaters while travelling.

Also have a bespoke fresco III suit (the lighter navy), one shade lighter than true navy, which can be worn as a separate jacket in a pinch.

Deciding on next sportcoat... should I get:

a) navy mockleno 510244 with spalla camicia, patch pockets to differentiate from my fresco jacket
or
b) hopsack DB, gold buttons

Leaning towards B, as it's more exciting, and I already have three navy SB jackets. But also feel like A would get a lot of use as I'm not often reaching for the RTW jackets.

papado

Reaction score
I'm very slowly upgrading wardrobe to bespoke.

Currently have 2x RTW navy sportcoats (unstructured plain navy worsted, cotton herringbone) that I rarely wear except as beaters while travelling.

Also have a bespoke fresco III suit (the lighter navy), one shade lighter than true navy, which can be worn as a separate jacket in a pinch.

Deciding on next sportcoat... should I get:

a) navy mockleno 510244 with spalla camicia, patch pockets to differentiate from my fresco jacket
or
b) hopsack DB, gold buttons

Leaning towards B, as it's more exciting, and I already have three navy SB jackets. But also feel like A would get a lot of use as I'm not often reaching for the RTW jackets.

B does sound more exciting but are you the type of person to wear exciting frequently? If you're going to wear it whenever you want to wear a navy SC then sure I think you can get it if you fancy it more. If it were me I would probably go for A just so I know I have a rock solid true sportcoat (not re-wearing a suit jacket) that I can wear whenever I want to wear navy up top. I would be self conscious of the gold buttons but that is just me--some folks on this forum [and in real life] rock the heck out of them.

Also I've noticed that if I'm not gonna wear something I'll either sell or donate it. Yes you can keep a not so good thing around (for your example, for travel) but if you really don't wear them I would part ways and build your wardrobe appropriately from "scratch". You shouldn't let something you'll never wear count as a 'navy sc in your rotation' if you'll never actually put it in the rotation :)

mercury

Reaction score
Good advice, thank you!

I pretty much am rebuilding from scratch as you say, so you're right in disregarding the two RTW jackets. They aren't really in the rotation.

I'm sure I'll eventually end up getting both A and B. A is definitely the more versatile option.

Hard to stay sensible, but as I'll only be adding two pieces a year, it's better to stick to the essentials first.

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for knot ideas that look similar to 4 in hand but take up a bit more length. Ideas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads