• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's pretty much the exact square-bicycle-toe shoe that SF hates. Almost no one in real life would blink at them, but they get no love among the SF crowd.
Personally: they're ugly.

I understand they're ugly because mainly of the square toe. However can someone tell me why they are considered ugly while at same time square toes from SF brands are loved? Is it only because the square in the cheap shoes is much wider or what?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand they're ugly because mainly of the square toe. However can someone tell me why they are considered ugly while at same time square toes from SF brands are loved? Is it only because the square in the cheap shoes is much wider or what?

SF Brands don't make square toes. Many make chisel toes, which have a squared end, but a much narrower front that gives them a much more distinct and sleek shape. Hence the hate, I think. Square toed shoes lack any real thought in their design- they lack texture, like a brogued wingtip might have, the lack the grace and flow that a nice last can create- in fact, they actively resist grace and flow. They're just fat and clunky, but without the charm or details that make some other less sleek styles loved.

By the way, this is a chisel toe. This is good:

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF Brands don't make square toes. Many make chisel toes, which have a squared end, but a much narrower front that gives them a much more distinct and sleek shape. Hence the hate, I think. Square toed shoes lack any realy thought in their design- they lack texture, like a brogued wingtip might have, the lack the grace and flow that a nice last can create- in fact, they actively resist grace and flow. They're just fat and clunky, but without the charm or details that make some other less sleek styles loved.
By the way, this is a chisel toe. This is good:

Thanks for that info, in no way do I endorse square end but I just never understood why SF brands with a square-ish finish were accepted. So that really helps explain that.

GH2M43

Reaction score

ellsbebc

Reaction score
i want to help my wife rock her family secret santa gift exchange, so i want to buy a (used) suit for her person. he's 6'2" and about 200-220 pounds or so, definitely on the pudgy side. his wife measured him, do these measurements look about right? generally, what size would he be based on these measurements? i'm guessing about a 43 R/L, is that correct? if his chest is 43" how big should the chest measurement on a jacket be?
chest 43
overarm 52
waist 40
jacket length: 30
sleeve length: 26
pant length: 43 (measured how?)
inseam: 31.5
neck: 17
(sorry if this is stupid, i've never bought clothes for anyone else before)

- I have a 42" chest. Some 21" p2p fit me; however, I favor a 22" p2p generally. It all depends on the cut of the jacket.
- The jacket length concerns me. At 6'1", I typically wear a 31" BOC but my BB Fitzgerald jacket is 30.5" and still covers my entire ass (barely).
- The pant length may very well may be the outseam measurement
- I suggest to obtain a shoulder measurement also. That and the chest are the key parts to a jacket that only a very skilled tailor can alter, and we are talking $$$

Last edited:

newbie369

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I think it is quite clear what I should be doing with them
laugh.gif

I was looking at Johnson & Murphy shoes and some of them look like square toed shoes to me, yet the reviews on them are quite positive (ex. Dobson). Is the problem with square the fact that not enough effort is put into the quality and detail of the shoe, rather than the shape itself? http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/category_listing.aspx?c=1215

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the problem with square the fact that not enough effort is put into the quality and detail of the shoe, rather than the shape itself?

In a nutshell, the shoes in question are not attractive in design. And they are almost certainly made of inferior grade leather. And not unlikely employ sub-standard construction.

This combination of negatives means they probably won't garner too much positive feedback from folks here on SF. Although, as has been noted, you could likely wear them in the real world without anyone taking much notice of them, one way or the other.

newbie369

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I purchased the shoes at the Bay for approximately $70. I think that really helps emphasize the factors you listed.

Are there any shoes that are decent in quality and can be shipped to Canada for a reasonable price? An "entry level" oxford perhaps?

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I recall correctly, I purchased the shoes at the Bay for approximately $70. I think that really helps emphasize the factors you listed.

Are there any shoes that are decent in quality and can be shipped to Canada for a reasonable price? An "entry level" oxford perhaps?

Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank. They ship to Canada for $25 per pair. Only order 1 pair at a time or you will be charged taxes. Up your budget just a bit and you can get a pair for about $170.

Go to Harry Rosen and try on a few AE shoes to see how they fit and what size you are. Don't buy from them though as they sell for $400 with tax and all.

gonadwarrior

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I've been perusing this forum for a few months now. Just wanted to ask a question bc I'm stumped

I'm looking for a versatile brown shoe. Something I can wear with a navy suit, but would also work with dark denim
$200-250 limit

What would you guys recommend?

The only thing that seems like it could work are the Loake Pimlico in brown leather

Thanks!

suits123

Reaction score

Hi everyone
I've been perusing this forum for a few months now. Just wanted to ask a question bc I'm stumped

I'm looking for a versatile brown shoe. Something I can wear with a navy suit, but would also work with dark denim
$200-250 limit

What would you guys recommend?

The only thing that seems like it could work are the Loake Pimlico in brown leather

Thanks! 

I would shop clearance allen Edmonds. Or stretch the budget they are about $320 normally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads