• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone
I've been perusing this forum for a few months now. Just wanted to ask a question bc I'm stumped

I'm looking for a versatile brown shoe. Something I can wear with a navy suit, but would also work with dark denim
$200-250 limit

What would you guys recommend?

The only thing that seems like it could work are the Loake Pimlico in brown leather

Thanks! 

Wingtips of some variety. Call the Allen Edmonds shoe bank or pick up a pair of vintage Florsheim shells off e-bay.

Telnet7

Reaction score
I just bought a brown windowpane tweed blazer, what type of pants do you suggest i wear with it? Would khaki chinos be a bit much?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought a brown windowpane tweed blazer, what type of pants do you suggest i wear with it? Would khaki chinos be a bit much?

Since when have khaki chinos been a bit much for anything? Sounds like a great, and easy, pairing.

Tyler Marshall

Reaction score

I found these on Pinterest and was curious what make and brand these shoes are. I have looked everywhere but thus far have been unsuccessful. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(Also if you find good alternative to these boots please feel free to post pictures and links on where to get them)

Thanks for your help

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read a bit further and answered my own question, hopefully.  Verification would be nice.

Yoke seemed to be the main shoulder measurement, so I went with that.

As instructed by a few different sources, I started from slightly outside the little nub at the top of the shoulder joint.  I secured the measuring tape with a rubber band, draped it across my back, and gently pulled the long end taut while keeping both hands at my side.  I felt just outside the bony protrusion I was measuring to and pressed with my fingernail to leave a mark.  Then I stood naturally and checked the tape in the mirror.

I rechecked the position of the tape and the location of my shoulder joints several times.  Number was 16.5" consistently.

Did I do anything wrong?  Is 16.5" unusually narrow for a 43-44" chest?

I can see you are very serious about this, but the short answer is to not overthink it. The long answer follows.

You should be measuring beyond where the shoulder bone connects with the arm, where your shoulder meets the fleshy upper part of your arm. You should be able to depress the top of the arm slightly where it arcs. No one wears their shirts with the seam riding up by the top of the shoulders, so if you are measuring near the nubs, you are doing it wrong. A shirt (I assume you were talking about shirts) seam should drape just slightly over that intersect, not sit flush on your shoulder bone, unless you want to feel a taut shirt all day. Yes, 16.5 is more akin to a size small or extra small, but everyone has different physiology.

You would be better served A) finding a shirt you like the fit on and measuring the fit from top shoulder seam to shoulder seam, laid flat, and working against that template; or B) going to a dry cleaner or tailor and asking them very nicely to help you. Perhaps you can think of a compelling reason to convince them.

Don't worry about yoke. And when self measuring, you should really have a third party measure you for an objective result.

My tailor did a measurement but I think he went from the end of the shoulder to the middle of my back but following the shoulder linethen he measured fro mthe middle of the back to the other end of the shoulder following the shoulder line.

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
1 - Do you think these shoes are nice?

2 - (if so) What color suit would these go with?

Also,

Would these be okay to wear with dress pants (and/or nice jeans?) and a sport coat?

In short... how versatile are these shoes?

Thank you!

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can go with odd trousers and suits. I wouldn't wear cap toes with jeans but some members here do wear those shoes with jeans. If you are going to be wearing odd trousers or suits they are versatile. If though you'll be mostly wearing jeans or chinos then they're not. As for what color suits they pair with, the rule is to wear shoes at least as dark as trousers. So they go with lighter grey or brown. Some people like them with navy suits but it's not a conventional look. They wouldn't go with darker grey, charcoal, or black trousers of course.

If they are your first pair of nice shoes I would go with them in brown personally. They would be more versatile and work with all grey trousers, brown, as well as navy.

Last edited:

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
They can go with odd trousers and suits. I wouldn't wear cap toes with jeans but some members here do wear those shoes with jeans. If you are going to be wearing odd trousers or suits they are versatile. If though you'll be mostly wearing jeans or chinos then they're not. As for what color suits they pair with, the rule is to wear shoes at least as dark as trousers. So they go with lighter grey or brown. Some people like them with navy suits but it's not a conventional look. They wouldn't go with darker grey, charcoal, or black trousers of course.
If they are your first pair of nice shoes I would go with them in brown personally. They would be more versatile and work with all grey trousers, brown, as well as navy.
When you say brown, what about a shoe like this:

Thanks so much for your reply.

pdxkyle

Reaction score
Looking to get some new oxfords/wingtips that are decently priced. Anyone have any recommendations? I know about meermins, any other suggestions.

Also been looking at blazers on ebay, anyone have any input on some brands i should be looking at? So far I have been looking at some Brooks Brothers and some Ralph Laurens.

One more thing. How about some Oxford shirts. I have been buying Jcrew ones, haven't bought any uniqlos yet. Any other ones i should be checking out that are decently priced?

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I definitely will. The brown shoes I posted though, would they be able to work?

styling-wise, sure, but not knowing what kind of shoe that is, don't expect anyone to say "pull the trigger."

check out the AE Leeds. it's a nice simple shoe (that looks a lot like the darker brown plain toe one you posted) that you can wear with almost anything. dark brown or burgundy are going to be your most versatile choices.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads