• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tie question: I'm 6'6" (198 cm) tall and have an issue with tie length.  I wear 63" ties and when I tie a double-4-in-hand the only time the knot looks right is when the tie sits a little short… about 4" above my belt.  Is this acceptable?

Need you really ask? No, your tie is not supposed to hit 4" above your belt.

I suppose that maybe you could get away with it if you're wearing a sweater or something, so nobody sees how far down your torso your tie extends. But let's not nitpick, the basic fact is that it sounds like your tie is simply too short. And ignore people who tell you that "It could look okay," or who point out that in 1953, on "I Love Lucy," the character of Fred Mertz often wore neckties that fell about half a foot short of his belt line, and he looked great. Because it doesn't look okay, it's no longer 1953, and while Fred was my favorite character in "I Love Lucy," and I like to believe that Al Bundy, of "Married With Children," was his illegitimate offspring, Fred was not a sartorial icon.

Possible solutions include:

1. Not tying a double four-in-hand. A single four-in-hand, for example, would give you a little more length. (It'd give you a smaller knot, too. But this may not be an issue, especially when dealing with a beefy necktie which yields a substantial knot even with a single four-in-hand.)
2. Buying longer ties. And yes, I realize that can mean a more limited selection, and higher price. (FWIW, while I've never purchased anything from them, I understand that Big Shot Neckwear offers a large selection of silk ties, priced at a penny under $40, in 67" length.) (At a somewhat higher price point, Sam Hober will give you several inches of extra necktie length, for an extra 15 or 20 bucks. His ties are pricey, but they tend to be of excellent quality. Even if most of your everyday ties are from a place like Big Shot Neckwear, getting a couple of "special occasion" ties from Sam Hober might be worth considering. His grenadines are particularly nice.)
3. Bow ties.

Anyway, I feel for you, man. I truly do. You've got certain wardrobe challenges due to your size, sort of how a little guy who wears a size 35S suit faces his own wardrobe difficulties. But believe me, 67" neckties can be found. At not just hideous ties at the local Big & Tall store, either.
--
Michael

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Never thought I would spend 80 USD on a brush for clothes though :(
Can you use it on wool trousers?

You can get other options much cheaper- and any old horsehair brush would work well enough. Just make sure to buy a new one instead of using the one you've been using with shoe polish for years.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went through our cabinets and I found these, are they lint brushes?

aju8upa7.jpg

6a4ybyna.jpg

veqezugy.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bristles look plastic on the bottom one, which would make me think women's hairbrush. As would the embedded hair. But the Brooks Brothers one may indeed be. But I'm only looking at pictures over the internet box, I can't feel the bristles to be sure.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brooks brothers brush is a lint brush. (note soft fibers, densely packed, and trimmed to all one length.)

The other is a hair brush.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The bottom one, Kent says real bristle so I don't think its plastic.

Can I clean the brooks brothers brush? It has lint/dust build up.

I just swipe down until the lint is removed right, I am assuming this isn't as complicated as polishing shoes.

Is there certain material that you do not use a lint brush on?

doyleclark

Reaction score
4" is not a little short, it's REALLY short

If I were you, I wouldn't mind the other end of the tie (the thinner side), even if it's damn short, in order to have the front placed right
I think I have been subconsciously going for average guy proportions, with regard to the "other end". Glad this forum exists so I can get a good smack in the face to wake me up about these things. I'll try a few knots and ties later. Fairly convinced that will help.

No - it is not acceptable. your tie should reach your belt. You may do well to order custom ties - they will be a bit more expensive so be sure to keep your fabric choices classic and simple so that you can wear them a long time.
Glad I NEVER wear a tie without a SC or jacket… honestly, before I put the jacket on I look like a full-size pickup truck with a thin racing stripe down the middle.
rotflmao.gif

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

before I put the jacket on I look like a full-size pickup truck with a thin racing stripe down the middle. :rotflmao:

With regard to the thin stripe down the middle look, do bear in mind that very tall, very large men can often benefit from not merely longer than average neckties, but wider than average ties, as well. True, tie width should be influenced by other factors (like, lapel width), but a man who needs a 67" long necktie might be advised to wear something more like a 3 3/4" wide tie, than a 2 1/2" one.

Sadly, this means that most silk knit ties - even if acceptable for length - can be undesirably narrow for a very large man. Not that this problem is in any way limited to knits.

Oh, and I don't use "large man" purely as a euphemism for "fat man." While someone 6'6" and overweight would likely qualify as a large man by any reasonable standard, even a man who is 6'6" tall with a low bodyfat percentage may reasonably be termed large, simply on the basis of height, width of shoulders, length of torso, etc. I can't think of any obese NBA players, but I can think of many guys in the NBA who would look better wearing a 4" wide necktie, than a fashionably narrow one.

Glad I NEVER wear a tie without a SC or jacket…
A practice every man should follow, regardless of his size.

Okay, wearing a tie with a sweater, but without a sport coat or suit, is also tolerable, and represents one of the better reasons for buying a v-neck sweater, rather than a crew neck sweater. (Mind you, even if one is wearing a sweater, no law says a sport coat can't be worn over it. And this practice does have much to recommend it.) (And the sport coat over sweater combination is the sole justification for the existence of sweater vests.)
--
Michael

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With regard to the thin stripe down the middle look, do bear in mind that very tall, very large men can often benefit from not merely longer than average neckties, but wider than average ties, as well. True, tie width should be influenced by other factors (like, lapel width), but a man who needs a 67" long necktie might be advised to wear something more like a 3 3/4" wide tie, than a 2 1/2" one.
Sadly, this means that most silk knit ties - even if acceptable for length - can be undesirably narrow for a very large man. Not that this problem is in any way limited to knits.

Definitely this. Check out Sam Hober. They custom make some fantastic ties, and will make them to any specifications--length, width, etc--that you may need.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lint roller works great. I have a travel one for work in my briefcase

In a pinch I've used the old masking tape wrapped around the fingers deal but it's not good on higher quality fabric. Lint rollers usually have a "milder" adhesive (like a Post-It note as opposed to actual tape) and the "sheets" are perforated like a roll of paper towels so when it gets linty and fuzzy you can just remove it and start a fresh one. In the past few years this has become an almost can't live without item for me... I think it's just a personal OCD of mine but I can't stand fuzz, lint or God forbid pet hair from my friend's couch on my clothes... particularly dark colored fabric... ugh.

got this one.... probably like 4 bux...

@GH2M43... sorry bro but those shoes are absolutely hideous... and by the looks of them, MIC (Made in China) which, at least for me, is unacceptable. Even at that price (let's be honest $130 is peanuts for dress shoes) you'd be better off looking for a bargain on some AE's or To Boot's or anything else reasonably decent you could find at Nordy Rack or on sale after X-Mas practically anywhere. In short, do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy those shoes. :nodding:

Last edited:

Baverso

Reaction score
How do I clean the shoe polish off of the dauber bristles? They're very stiff. Shouldn't they be softer?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot water with dishwashing liquid. Comes right out.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do I clean the shoe polish off of the dauber bristles? They're very stiff. Shouldn't they be softer?

I think it depends on what type of shoes it was used on. In general I believe high quality brushes are made with various types of animal hair, mostly horse, but also yak, boar, bison and other weird animals... and yes, being natural they should be soft and flexible, NOT like a toothbrush. If you care about the shoes at all do not use a synthetic bristle brush! As for cleaning, from what I could find use warm soapy water with a bit of mineral spirits in the mix... do not submerge the whole brush, just wash the bristles and let air dry. Hope that helps....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads