1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

What's your profession? I'd never wear a duffelcoat to work over a jacket or suit. Too informal.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I work in surgical research. The particular one I posted looks ratty, so I'm skipping it. I think I'll hold off.

I usually wear a peacoat in, but have worn a ski jacket over the last few nasty days. My peacoat is definitely showing it's age so I was hoping to get something a little more fun. I might just get my peacoat fixed and stay with it for a while longer and just save up till I find something I want to jump on.

3. doggie

doggie New Member

Hey all! Just made an account real quick to ask for advice on an outfit. I have a winter dance this saturday, and was asking for some feedback on an outfit. No pics yet, but I was going to wear charcoal or dark gray pants, a white dress shirt, and a black or navy sweater. Thoughts?

4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Ski jacket over sport coat or suit is... probably a look best avoided. Just saying.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Seems good if that's the general level of formality of the event. As for choosing between navy and black, pick whichever looks better with your complexion.

6. ridethecliche

Jeez dude, I know that! It's the only thing I have for the slop. Hence the search for a new coat!

7. abl

abl Well-Known Member

To clarify: I don't need that exact jacket. I dig the BB topcoat as well (see below). I'm looking for something in this topcoat style that's more in my price range. Thanks! Basically: looking for nice overcoat that I can wear with a suit in the $150-350 range. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

8. ridethecliche

This is going to sound awful, but JAB has some in that style that look decent.

9. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

JAB earns a lot of hate on SF, and much of it's deserved, but it does get it right every now and then.

JAB's 100% merino wool topcoats, when on sale for $119 (as they are today), really aren't a bad buy. (And promotional code "SAVE25" is currently good for $25 off purchases of $125 or more, along with free shipping, so adding some minor item to the cart could bring the price of the coat down to an effective sub-$100.)

10. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Quote:Actually, I think institches just recently posted an otherwise beautiful glen check (with purple overcheck!) cashmere RLBL (I think) jacket, and I did think the hem looked short relative to the low button stance. It was also too short for him, but I felt like the proportions down to the buttoning point were pretty nice, and the issues all lay below that. The suits on the RLBL website are a little on the short side anyway, so I can't really judge.

11. victoremque

victoremque Member

Hi guys, I've been looking for a new wallet for a while now and I ran into this auction on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-P...2363?pt=UK_Purses_Wallets&hash=item4acd41a94b

Seems too cheap to be real, but the vendor has a 100% positive feedback rating and each wallet ships with authentication info. Could somebody with a bit more expertise in the area chime in on this?

Does Prada even make this model? I snooped around their website for a bit and couldn't find anything of the sort.

12. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

13. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Thanks -- that's a helpful suggestion. Any alternatives in case JAB is too big for me? I'm generally a 38S, and JAB's cuts often run a bit too large. I'm going to head to a store today to try it on, but am nervous about the shoulders (which I've heard are cut very big on their coats).

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Good luck. When I was first starting out, I tried on a JAB overcoat in a 38, the smallest size they offered. It looked like I was wearing my father's overcoat. FWIW, I wear a 38-40 jacket size normally.

Figure out your measurements and try eBay. Vintage overcoats are frequently built like tanks and can be had for a song.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  15. 18yearoldindian

18yearoldindian New Member

Hey there, guys. I have a quick question for you. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out.
    For my farewell party (think of it as the Indian version of prom), I'll be wearing a tailored DB navy blue suit, a French cuffs shirt with blue stripes, a red tie with a very subtle pattern, a plain maroon pocket square. For the shoes, I'm thinking of wearing these -http://img7.flixcart.com/image/shoe/w/e/g/camelsue-clm-0946-carlton-london-9-700x700-imadjew6ejhh9qan.jpeg. Are they a little too out there, or are they all right? Other alternatives I have are plain black shoes, and chestnut brown Derby shoes. Also, the socks - navy blue, plain red, or some sort of patterned red?

16. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Are there any brands that I should be on the lookout for? I'm fairly new to the fashion world and barely know what's good now, let alone what was good 10-30 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. ridethecliche

Were you wearing a jacket underneath it? I'm on the hunt for an overcoat as well and have been scouring ebay as of late!

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Try the search function, mate, there's lots of info buried.

19. jogowill

jogowill Active Member

Boot trees in regular shoes? (I know, I know: boot trees may or may not be a waste of money in the first place, etc.)

20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

In that case, getting the Ned coat shortened (assuming you like the look of a low button stance) could be a good path.

I also just realized that we're having two separate conversations on two separate forums. That, or there are two separate posters with great taste in television.

rtc,

Odd vests with suits are done. They're a little atypical, and tend to work in two ways: as a touch that dresses down the whole rig (calling back to odd vests with country clothing), or as something that dresses up the whole thing (calling back to a morning suit). Consider which one yours is doing. I think I'd rather see a mid-gray vest with a navy suit.