• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bnovc

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I just landed my first professional job today, and begin work on Monday. This leaves me with tomorrow and Sunday to find a couple of outfits to float me for a week or two. Since this will be my first real foray into menswear I'm kind of at a loss at what to get. I'm looking for stores that I'm able to visit in the Houston area to grab some clothes, as well as some suggestions as to what I should get. The dress code is business casual.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations on your first job!

You'll probably have to give some more details to get a meaningful answer. I'm sure there are plenty of acceptable menswear stores near you, but it depends on the style you want and the price you're willing to pay. e.g. I bet you could find a Brooks Brothers nearby and after spending quite a bit, you'll have some nice clothes.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best good looking tie knots?

Is it "wrong" to wear a cotton tie to a wedding?

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are many from which to choose, with the "best" being dependent on the situation, neck/face size, collar type, tie material, tie length, tie width, torso length, and various other factors.

The most common knot (probably by far) is the four-in-hand; I venture to suggest that it's the only tie knot most men even know.

I often tie a half-Windsor knot, which is a little larger than the four-in-hand, but not so large as the full Windsor, and it yields a symmetrical, triangular knot shape which I generally find rather pleasing.

You can easily research various tie knots online, and even find youtube videos on how to tie most of them.

It really depends on the wedding (and to some extent, on the tie). For some weddings, it would be ridiculously too formal. For others, it'd be perfectly appropriate. For yet others, it would be much too casual.

Your question is rather like asking, "Is it wrong to wear jeans to a party," without telling us anything about the nature of the party.
--
Michael

jbernard

Reaction score

It is all a matter of opinion. But i will give you these 4:

The half windsor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Windsor_knot
Probably my favorite as it is medium size and symmetrical, you can do both the self-releaseing or the non-self releasing

Four-in-hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-in-hand
Probably the most popular. It goes well with point collars, but has been seen lately in fashion with classic, and spread collars. (once again come down to preference.

Small knot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_knot
The easiest note to tie by far. I like this one with medium-thick to thick ties because it creates a small note similar to the four-in-hand but more symmetrical.

The Windsor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_knot
When I think of the windsor I think of lawyers and FBI agents. But it is my preferred when I wear 3.5" ties as opposed to 3".

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have one of each, and they're pretty much dead even for quality. Both have channeled soles.

Congratulations for forming your own opinion and voicing it, even though it flies in the face of SF groupthink. I have handled many pairs of C&J Peals and AS Peals. I agree that the AS shoes hold their own in the comparison.

Koaxke

Reaction score

Congratulations on your first job!

You'll probably have to give some more details to get a meaningful answer. I'm sure there are plenty of acceptable menswear stores near you, but it depends on the style you want and the price you're willing to pay. e.g. I bet you could find a Brooks Brothers nearby and after spending quite a bit, you'll have some nice clothes.

I'm not really sure what my style is going to be. I just planned on venturing into a store, trying a bunch of stuff on and seeing what I like. Are there any items that you would specifically avoid?

Also, I see that you recommended Brooks Brothers. I'm not too familiar with them, but have seen that they offer some quality items. How does Jos. A Bank compare to them? I see that they have sales all the time, but I'm somewhat wary of them.

jcb9

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what my style is going to be. I just planned on venturing into a store, trying a bunch of stuff on and seeing what I like. Are there any items that you would specifically avoid?
Also, I see that you recommended Brooks Brothers. I'm not too familiar with them, but have seen that they offer some quality items. How does Jos. A Bank compare to them? I see that they have sales all the time, but I'm somewhat wary of them.
Jos A Bank has sales all the time because that is what their merch is really worth. I would put Jos A Bank quality on par with Macy's/Dillard's/Men's Warehouse store brand. Brooks Brothers is higher quality than that. The construction and the fabrics are much better than what you will see at Jos A Bank. Their mainline is probably overpriced a little, but the Golden/Black Fleece lines are very nice and fairly priced for what you get. It is best to catch a sale, which seem to occur once a quarter. You can find it at their retail stores (obviously) but also at Nordstorm, at least in my area.

Another option is to go to an Off 5th or a Nordstrom Rack, which are the overstock outlets for Saks 5th Ave. and Nordstrom, respectively. You can find decent stuff there for good prices.

stupendous

Reaction score
The Peal & Co shoes are all made in England IME. Alden shoes made for BB are labeled Brooks Brothers, not Peal.

Hard to compare fit since they have several different makers and many different lasts. The upper level Peals are mostly made by C&J and Alfred Sargent. They are very nice. I believe some others are made by Alden, again a quality line. Some of the cheaper ones are Loakes, which can be a bit hit or miss.

I believe these are made by either C&J or Alfred Sargent. The C&J models are supposedly somewhere between the hand grade and bench grade lines. The way to tell the difference between C&J and the AS us that AS has a double row of nails in the heel while C&J has one. I don't know about the qualilty of the AS models.

The Peal & Co shoes are all made in England IME. Alden shoes made for BB are labeled Brooks Brothers, not Peal.

Hard to compare fit since they have several different makers and many different lasts. The upper level Peals are mostly made by C&J and Alfred Sargent. They are very nice. I believe some others are made by Alden, again a quality line. Some of the cheaper ones are Loakes, which can be a bit hit or miss.
Thanks guys. Am looking at this you see:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309928/...s-new-added-8-2-price-reductions#post_5639823

so, going by the single row of nails, was this then made by C&J?

stupendous

Reaction score
HAHA! Steve, I just realised,these shoes are on YOUR post!
shog[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads