Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Mountains

Mountains Senior member

Anyone know anything about this shoemaker?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Teapot418

Teapot418 Well-Known Member

Where do I find some long sleeved casual shirts that aren't absurdly baggy and have long arms. Most shirts that I can afford with my limited budget have sleeves that are tiny and not meant for my 36" arms.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I hear ya. I have 37" arms. I wind up going custom most of the time. Brooks Bros. has 37" otr shirts with 16 1/2 collar size or larger and they have some slim fit lines.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

4. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Anyone have experience with Tanino Crisci shoes?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It came to be the way other pockets came to be: to store stuff. Glasses, hankercheifs (originally something to blow your nose with, not ornamental pieces), watches (chains or cords would attach to the buttonhole), monocles, back when they were an everyday device for reading small print, akin to reading glasses. Often similarly attached to a cord. People generally don't view tailored clothing as practical these days, where in the past it was pretty much just how you made a coat, and as such, everyday attire for everybody. As a result, men have generally gotten nervous about using pockets practically. There are some on here who don't even undo the basting stitching so as never to be tempted to distort the line of the coat or whatever. I find that pretty extreme, both as somebody who shoves his hands into his pockets often and as somebody who loves the storage space for small items.

If you wear reading glasses, that's a good place to put them. I've been known to attach sunglasses to the front. If you like the aesthetic of a pocket square, wear one. Chapstick. A lighter if you smoke. Make of it what you will.

As for shape and slant, that's a stylistic choice by the maker. It has no particular meaning.

6. Teapot418

Teapot418 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I have a 16" collar which seems to make it much harder to find shirts with long sleeves. Maybe i should do some neck exercises.

7. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to measuring the thigh width i.e. thigh measures 26" so the pant thigh should measure 14" flat across (28" total)? Sounds like wishful thinking when one must consider the rise and seat also.

8. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

Greetings gents,

I recentley purchased some oxford pinpoint Naked and Famous Denim shirts. The fit on the size small is excellent for me. They are even slimmer than JCrew XS. The thing I like the most about them is they do not muffen top around the belt area which is a pain point for me given my slim frame. I am wanting to have some shirts made and am not sure what the best route to take is.

Given that I like the fit and only have small areas that could be improved, would I be better off sending one of these shirts to myTailor or giving my measurements so that the fit could be potentialy that much better?

Thank you.

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm not aware of any such rule. I imagine it would be hard to devise such a rule that would work with any sort of regularity because the three-dimensional nature of trousers (and the human body) does not lend itself to accurate description through a small number of one-dimensional measurements.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Bunching around the waist line has an awful lot to do with the rise of your trousers rather than the cut of your shirt. Trousers that sit below the natural waist are especially prone to shirt bunching.

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

In my book, different and unique << looks good. The two are not mutually exclusive, but the latter is much more important than the former.

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

No, measurements like that will vary widely depending on the cut of the pant, which is a stylistic choice.

13. PunkinDonuts

PunkinDonuts Member

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it. What is the best reasonably priced belt (<$60) that matches the Allen Edmonds Walnut Strand? Thanks!

14. jv rio

jv rio Member

I've been reading these forums incessantly the last few months, and finally decided to register. I have searched and have read mixed opinions on this, so hopefully I can get some clarification before I decide to buy. I am graduating from a professional accounting program in a few months and I'm looking for a suit for interviewing and to start my professional wardrobe. My choice is of course Navy, and the two suits I am considering are the : Napoli Navy - from Suitsupply, and the Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald in Navy. As an accountant I want to look put together and professional, but not trendy. I want a quality suit that will last for years. I'm I 38S, and I've tried both on and they both fit me well, I am just undecided on which is the safer choice. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Suitsupply: http://www.suitsupply.com/navy-suit-napoli/P2778,en_US,pd.html?start=6&cgid=Suits

Brooks: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?
    Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=418&Product_Id=1210034&Parent_Id=216&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null

15. jv rio

jv rio Member

I've been reading these forums incessantly the last few months, and finally decided to register. I have searched and have read mixed opinions on this, so hopefully I can get some clarification before I decide to buy. I am graduating from a professional accounting program in a few months and I'm looking for a suit for interviewing and to start my professional wardrobe. My choice is of course Navy, and the two suits I am considering are the : Napoli Navy - from Suitsupply, and the Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald in Navy. As an accountant I want to look put together and professional, but not trendy. I want a quality suit that will last for years. I'm I 38S, and I've tried both on and they both fit me well, I am just undecided on which is the safer choice. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Suitsupply: http://www.suitsupply.com/navy-suit-napoli/P2778,en_US,pd.html?start=6&cgid=Suits

Brooks: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?
    Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=418&Product_Id=1210034&Parent_Id=216&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null