• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HAHA!  Steve, I just realised,these shoes are on YOUR post!  
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I appreciate the exposure. If you are referring to the Algonquins, I think those are C&J.

Gravy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First post here. :)

I'm looking for a 3 button cardigan like in this combo here. Any ideas/suggestions. Am I even using the correct terminology?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I think that's probably a vest, and looks like a unique piece from the designer. Certainly not a generic type of garment I've seen before. The one on top would be an irish fisherman's sweater in cardigan form.

Do you know where the picture came from?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gravy

Reaction score
^I think that's probably a vest, and looks like a unique piece from the designer. Certainly not a generic type of garment I've seen before. The one on top would be an irish fisherman's sweater in cardigan form.
Do you know where the picture came from?

Thanks for the reply, that's a shame.

It's in my lookbook folder. I'm pretty sure it originated from The Satorialist, though I can't find it now.

Edit: Found it:
http://www.thesartorialist.com/men/on-the-street-layered-knits-florence/

Last edited:

GrensonMan

Reaction score
Well I'm about to pull the trigger on some MTM shirts from modertailor.com. I have a shirt that fits me very well that can be used for the measurements. It seems that there is a gerneral consesus that measurung a well fitting shirt gives better results than body measurments. However, I did have a tailor take my measurements just in case. That being said, which option should I go with, shirt measurements or body?

Yika

Reaction score

Well I'm about to pull the trigger on some MTM shirts from modertailor.com. I have a shirt that fits me very well that can be used for the measurements. It seems that there is a gerneral consesus that measurung a well fitting shirt gives better results than body measurments. However, I did have a tailor take my measurements just in case. That being said, which option should I go with, shirt measurements or body?

Shirt and tweak it to your preference.

CWRUSteez

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of light colored Olebar Brown setters. Of course, I'm a complete idiot and stained them the first time I wore them. Does anyone have any tips for removing grease stains from nylon/polyamide?

IAmCaulfield

Reaction score
There are many from which to choose, with the "best" being dependent on the situation, neck/face size, collar type, tie material, tie length, tie width, torso length, and various other factors.
The most common knot (probably by far) is the four-in-hand; I venture to suggest that it's the only tie knot most men even know.
I often tie a half-Windsor knot, which is a little larger than the four-in-hand, but not so large as the full Windsor, and it yields a symmetrical, triangular knot shape which I generally find rather pleasing.
You can easily research various tie knots online, and even find youtube videos on how to tie most of them.

Michael
Take this with a grain of salt on account of my lack of experience, but I find the half windsor to be most versatile. Size wise, and also because of its symmetry. How wide the opening of the collar on your shirt and tie material seem to be the biggest deciding factors on knot selection.

I meant to respond to the original post... so new.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, that's a shame. 

It's in my lookbook folder. I'm pretty sure it originated from The Satorialist, though I can't find it now. 

Edit: Found it:
http://www.thesartorialist.com/men/on-the-street-layered-knits-florence/

Hmm, looking at that in a larger size I'm not even convinced it's a knit. In fact, I'm pretty convinced it isn't- it looks like tweed to me. Vest, or maybe even an unstructured jacket, but wearing the sweater over it wouldn't seem to make much sense. More plausible than wearing two rough knits layered, anyway. Ever try to put a sweater on over a corduroy shirt? It would be impossible to actually put the second sweater on. Hard, but possible with a tweed jacket, though it wouldn't make much sense to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads