Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first job!

You'll probably have to give some more details to get a meaningful answer. I'm sure there are plenty of acceptable menswear stores near you, but it depends on the style you want and the price you're willing to pay. e.g. I bet you could find a Brooks Brothers nearby and after spending quite a bit, you'll have some nice clothes.

2. IrIr

IrIr Member

3. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

What's the best good looking tie knots?

Is it "wrong" to wear a cotton tie to a wedding?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

There are many from which to choose, with the "best" being dependent on the situation, neck/face size, collar type, tie material, tie length, tie width, torso length, and various other factors.

The most common knot (probably by far) is the four-in-hand; I venture to suggest that it's the only tie knot most men even know.

I often tie a half-Windsor knot, which is a little larger than the four-in-hand, but not so large as the full Windsor, and it yields a symmetrical, triangular knot shape which I generally find rather pleasing.

You can easily research various tie knots online, and even find youtube videos on how to tie most of them.

It really depends on the wedding (and to some extent, on the tie). For some weddings, it would be ridiculously too formal. For others, it'd be perfectly appropriate. For yet others, it would be much too casual.

Your question is rather like asking, "Is it wrong to wear jeans to a party," without telling us anything about the nature of the party.
    --
    Michael

5. jbernard

jbernard Senior member

It is all a matter of opinion. But i will give you these 4:

The half windsor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Windsor_knot
    Probably my favorite as it is medium size and symmetrical, you can do both the self-releaseing or the non-self releasing

Four-in-hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-in-hand
    Probably the most popular. It goes well with point collars, but has been seen lately in fashion with classic, and spread collars. (once again come down to preference.

Small knot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_knot
    The easiest note to tie by far. I like this one with medium-thick to thick ties because it creates a small note similar to the four-in-hand but more symmetrical.

The Windsor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_knot
    When I think of the windsor I think of lawyers and FBI agents. But it is my preferred when I wear 3.5" ties as opposed to 3".

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Congratulations for forming your own opinion and voicing it, even though it flies in the face of SF groupthink. I have handled many pairs of C&J Peals and AS Peals. I agree that the AS shoes hold their own in the comparison.

7. Koaxke

Koaxke Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what my style is going to be. I just planned on venturing into a store, trying a bunch of stuff on and seeing what I like. Are there any items that you would specifically avoid?

Also, I see that you recommended Brooks Brothers. I'm not too familiar with them, but have seen that they offer some quality items. How does Jos. A Bank compare to them? I see that they have sales all the time, but I'm somewhat wary of them.

8. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Jos A Bank has sales all the time because that is what their merch is really worth. I would put Jos A Bank quality on par with Macy's/Dillard's/Men's Warehouse store brand. Brooks Brothers is higher quality than that. The construction and the fabrics are much better than what you will see at Jos A Bank. Their mainline is probably overpriced a little, but the Golden/Black Fleece lines are very nice and fairly priced for what you get. It is best to catch a sale, which seem to occur once a quarter. You can find it at their retail stores (obviously) but also at Nordstorm, at least in my area.

Another option is to go to an Off 5th or a Nordstrom Rack, which are the overstock outlets for Saks 5th Ave. and Nordstrom, respectively. You can find decent stuff there for good prices.

9. PunkinDonuts

PunkinDonuts Member

10. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Yepp that would be ok. It's better be well dressed then less.

11. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ

Thanks guys. Am looking at this you see:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309928/...s-new-added-8-2-price-reductions#post_5639823

so, going by the single row of nails, was this then made by C&J?

12. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    HAHA! Steve, I just realised,these shoes are on YOUR post! [​IMG]

13. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

14. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

15. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Was thinking the same. Would be nice with a pair of khaki pants in beige or something, right?