• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Navy blazer question...

I don't care for the look of dark brown pants with a navy blazer. Still, if you really think it looks good, go ahead and post a picture or two.

It's not that I have anything against dark brown flannel pants, you understand. Or with navy blazers. It's just the combination that I don't think of as something which works particularly well. Still, I suppose exceptions exist, as exceptions exist to nearly any rule.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Any body know where to find this jacket Adam Scott is wearing in these photos:

http://i.imgur.com/JFjp9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QSl9D.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4K0U3.png

As you can see these are screen shots I took. I can try and take better ones if these aren't enough. Normally I'm not the biggest elbow pad fan but this jacket is a different story. 

Thanks for the help.

Looks like band of outsiders, or the like. People have told me I look like him. Just sayin.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are arrival dates on Bergdorf accurate? Just ordered something for the first time in a while from them and they say arrival date is January 5th :cry:

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Need a few pair of socks. Seems like all the good socks here in Canada are at least $30 each. Can someone point me in the right direction? How much should I be paying for good quality without breaking the bank? Also, what fabric is desired? Will be wearing with my AE Strands.

2. What kind of ties should I be looking at to wear with jeans mostly?

3. Pocket squares here seem to be $30, $40, $50, $60 which is crazy. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good ones online?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Untie it "correctly"?  I would assume that you mean "gently," but is there some kind of intricate ritualistic tie-knot loosening ceremony of which I am unaware? :puzzled:

Untie it the reverse of how you tied it, rather than pulling the length of the narrow end through the knot as is often done and whick risks stretching/distorting the silk.

ya that's what I meant... thx Sanguis. altho' a ceremonial snifter of cognac as you repose for the evening may lend a bit of accompaniment if you wish. :nodding:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1. Need a few pair of socks. Seems like all the good socks here in Canada are at least $30 each. Can someone point me in the right direction? How much should I be paying for good quality without breaking the bank? Also, what fabric is desired? Will be wearing with my AE Strands.

Eh, the best price you can find is $30 per sock? Sierra Trading Post has Pantharella wool socks for ~$10 after sales and coupons pretty regularly. For cottons you can go Viccel for about seven bucks, use the Style Forum discount link for 20% off.
2. What kind of ties should I be looking at to wear with jeans mostly?
With a sport coat or what? What kind of occasion?
3. Pocket squares here seem to be $30, $40, $50, $60 which is crazy. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good ones online?
Kent Wang and Sam Hober both have a bunch in the $20-30 range. You're not going to find many decent squares cheaper than that.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eh, the best price you can find is $30 per sock? Sierra Trading Post has Pantharella wool socks for ~$10 after sales and coupons pretty regularly. For cottons you can go Viccel for about seven bucks, use the Style Forum discount link for 20% off.
With a sport coat or what? What kind of occasion?
Kent Wang and Sam Hober both have a bunch in the $20-30 range. You're not going to find many decent squares cheaper than that.

Yeah Pantharella socks are $35 in stores here lol. Same with Paul Smith etc. Thanks for the help, will look into those places.

Yes sport coat + jeans...what kind of ties should i be looking at? No special occasion, wearing mostly casually, maybe family gatherings, work (business casual).

Will look at Sam Hober, Kent Wang doesn't seem to have a big selection of pocket squares.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes sport coat + jeans...what kind of ties should i be looking at? No special occasion, wearing mostly casually, maybe family gatherings, work (business casual).

Knit, rough wool, and/or skinny. If you must wear a tie. Generally speaking, if you're wearing both a tie and a sportcoat you should bump it up to chinos. If you're set on the tie and the jeans, I would wear a sweater of some variety. V neck or cardigan.

calogero

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to have a casual collared shirt (such as the one below) made by a tailor. What is the structural difference between formal and casual shirts that gives the latter its softer hand and appearance?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, I'm looking to have a casual collared shirt (such as the one below) made by a tailor. What is the structural difference between formal and casual shirts that gives the latter its softer hand and appearance?

mostly it will be your choice of material and how the cuffs and more importantly the collar are constructed. the shirt you pic'd has a button down collar which is more casual... and the less structuring that goes into the cuffs and collars will result in a more casual shirt.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Material, fabric color, buttons, often a shorter collar, softer collar and cuffs. Play around with those as you see fit, that's the point of having a tailor make it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MakersCBDblood