Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hear that this only happens to bow ties that are under $130.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

DAMMIT! Mine was $60 :fu:

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I don't care for the look of dark brown pants with a navy blazer. Still, if you really think it looks good, go ahead and post a picture or two.

It's not that I have anything against dark brown flannel pants, you understand. Or with navy blazers. It's just the combination that I don't think of as something which works particularly well. Still, I suppose exceptions exist, as exceptions exist to nearly any rule.

4. whv3rd

whv3rd New Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looks like band of outsiders, or the like. People have told me I look like him. Just sayin.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Are arrival dates on Bergdorf accurate? Just ordered something for the first time in a while from them and they say arrival date is January 5th :cry:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

1. Need a few pair of socks. Seems like all the good socks here in Canada are at least $30 each. Can someone point me in the right direction? How much should I be paying for good quality without breaking the bank? Also, what fabric is desired? Will be wearing with my AE Strands.

2. What kind of ties should I be looking at to wear with jeans mostly?

3. Pocket squares here seem to be $30, $40, $50, $60 which is crazy. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good ones online?

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya that's what I meant... thx Sanguis. altho' a ceremonial snifter of cognac as you repose for the evening may lend a bit of accompaniment if you wish. :nodding:

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Eh, the best price you can find is $30 per sock? Sierra Trading Post has Pantharella wool socks for ~$10 after sales and coupons pretty regularly. For cottons you can go Viccel for about seven bucks, use the Style Forum discount link for 20% off.
    With a sport coat or what? What kind of occasion?
    Kent Wang and Sam Hober both have a bunch in the $20-30 range. You're not going to find many decent squares cheaper than that.

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Yeah Pantharella socks are $35 in stores here lol. Same with Paul Smith etc. Thanks for the help, will look into those places.

Yes sport coat + jeans...what kind of ties should i be looking at? No special occasion, wearing mostly casually, maybe family gatherings, work (business casual).

Will look at Sam Hober, Kent Wang doesn't seem to have a big selection of pocket squares.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Knit, rough wool, and/or skinny. If you must wear a tie. Generally speaking, if you're wearing both a tie and a sportcoat you should bump it up to chinos. If you're set on the tie and the jeans, I would wear a sweater of some variety. V neck or cardigan.

12. Brandon325

Brandon325 Member

13. calogero

calogero Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm looking to have a casual collared shirt (such as the one below) made by a tailor. What is the structural difference between formal and casual shirts that gives the latter its softer hand and appearance?

[​IMG]

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

mostly it will be your choice of material and how the cuffs and more importantly the collar are constructed. the shirt you pic'd has a button down collar which is more casual... and the less structuring that goes into the cuffs and collars will result in a more casual shirt.

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup. Material, fabric color, buttons, often a shorter collar, softer collar and cuffs. Play around with those as you see fit, that's the point of having a tailor make it.