Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hear that this only happens to bow ties that are under $130.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

DAMMIT! Mine was $60 :fu:

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I don't care for the look of dark brown pants with a navy blazer. Still, if you really think it looks good, go ahead and post a picture or two.

It's not that I have anything against dark brown flannel pants, you understand. Or with navy blazers. It's just the combination that I don't think of as something which works particularly well. Still, I suppose exceptions exist, as exceptions exist to nearly any rule.

4. whv3rd

whv3rd New Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looks like band of outsiders, or the like. People have told me I look like him. Just sayin.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Are arrival dates on Bergdorf accurate? Just ordered something for the first time in a while from them and they say arrival date is January 5th :cry:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

1. Need a few pair of socks. Seems like all the good socks here in Canada are at least $30 each. Can someone point me in the right direction? How much should I be paying for good quality without breaking the bank? Also, what fabric is desired? Will be wearing with my AE Strands.

2. What kind of ties should I be looking at to wear with jeans mostly?

3. Pocket squares here seem to be $30, $40, $50, $60 which is crazy. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good ones online?

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya that's what I meant... thx Sanguis. altho' a ceremonial snifter of cognac as you repose for the evening may lend a bit of accompaniment if you wish. :nodding:

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Eh, the best price you can find is $30 per sock? Sierra Trading Post has Pantharella wool socks for ~$10 after sales and coupons pretty regularly. For cottons you can go Viccel for about seven bucks, use the Style Forum discount link for 20% off.
    With a sport coat or what? What kind of occasion?
    Kent Wang and Sam Hober both have a bunch in the $20-30 range. You're not going to find many decent squares cheaper than that.

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Yeah Pantharella socks are $35 in stores here lol. Same with Paul Smith etc. Thanks for the help, will look into those places.

Yes sport coat + jeans...what kind of ties should i be looking at? No special occasion, wearing mostly casually, maybe family gatherings, work (business casual).

Will look at Sam Hober, Kent Wang doesn't seem to have a big selection of pocket squares.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Knit, rough wool, and/or skinny. If you must wear a tie. Generally speaking, if you're wearing both a tie and a sportcoat you should bump it up to chinos. If you're set on the tie and the jeans, I would wear a sweater of some variety. V neck or cardigan.

12. Brandon325

Brandon325 Member

13. calogero

calogero Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm looking to have a casual collared shirt (such as the one below) made by a tailor. What is the structural difference between formal and casual shirts that gives the latter its softer hand and appearance?

[​IMG]

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

mostly it will be your choice of material and how the cuffs and more importantly the collar are constructed. the shirt you pic'd has a button down collar which is more casual... and the less structuring that goes into the cuffs and collars will result in a more casual shirt.

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup. Material, fabric color, buttons, often a shorter collar, softer collar and cuffs. Play around with those as you see fit, that's the point of having a tailor make it.