Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Brandon325

Brandon325 Member

um, could anyone answer my question?

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Sorry Brandon ~ didn't mean to "skip" you...just didn't know anything about your particular query...someone knowledgeable will come along...patience my man.

3. Brandon325

Brandon325 Member

its okay, guess im just eager, but thanks anyway man, merry christmas

4. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Cheap bastard here checking in to help my Canuck homey. Setting aside my personal feelings towards Torontonians because, hey, it's Christmas.

1. People way overthink socks around here. I get most of mine from Uniqlo and Topman. The latter ships to Canada and will sell you 5 pairs for $24 (US).
    2. Don't do it, man.
    3. Cotton pocket squares with hand-rolled edges can be had for $8 (US) at The Tie Bar. For a similar price they also sell silk squares, but those have machined edges and I'm not a fan of them. Kent Wang doesn't have a ton of different squares, but they are good value and the selection is well curated. This silk one for $25 is a thing of beauty.

5. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

That's sufficiently specific that you probably won't get an answer here. Why not call or email Penfield?

6. calogero

calogero Well-Known Member

What kind of material should I be looking for? I find both formal and casual-looking shirts can be 100% cotton. Will I likely be able to tell which particular sample is more matte, etc.?

7. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

Are there any cures for older fabric on a sport coat that has become shiny in the heavy wear areas, elbows etc? Or am I just doomed to thrift it?

8. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Sorry, man, the only cure is to get a new sport coat.

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Sierra Trading Post did have quite a few Pantherellas cheap.

10. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

If it's just the elbows, you could put leather or suede patches put on them. Not a bad look on a tweed jacket. Sort of professorial.

11. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

That is what I was afraid of...

Unfortunately, it is a fine basket weave navy, and the shiny parts are on more areas than just the elbows.

Doing a little searching on the interwebs, I came across a recommendation to steam, and then use a clothes brush while the cloth is warm and damp. Any thoughts on this method?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  12. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Don't know what to tell you, then. If one of my jackets were so worn that it exhibited multiple shiny areas, I might just be inclined to conclude that I'd gotten my money's worth out of the jacket, and (depending on just how badly it's worn) either eBay it, donate it to Goodwill, give it to my niece for playing dress up, or throw it away.

I don't think there's any trick that will reliably, meaningfully rejuvenate substantially worn clothing. But if you want to give this steam + brush technique a try, go ahead. It doesn't sound like you've got much to lose.
    --
    Michael

13. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

This particular sport coat was a recent purchase off of B&S, the seller didn't say anything about shiny spots. Oh well, lesson learned.

14. sinou87

sinou87 Well-Known Member

Hi here everyone !

I am a student beginning his interviews for his first job in the international business field :)

I am searching for a great suit to go to my interviews and found a Brioni super 150 suit for 800 dollars shipped (Brand new with tags) to France and am thinking about buying it ...

What do you think about this offer ?

Thank you !

PS : I have read many posts on this forum for 4 years and it has been very helpful I am really pleased being part of it now :)

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

just wondering where are you getting a Brioni suit for 8 bills.... that's crazy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011