• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would put a piece of cotton over it and take a medium heat iron and press and stretch it gentlely.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alden 990 Plain toe blucher color 8 with black belt? Absolutely verboten?

No way.

Edit: As in you can do it. However, if you the rest of the outfit is more earth tones, or more tialored for brown it can look odd, but with the right color scheme (I'm thinking more monochrome) I think it can work.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody have an opinion of whether a grenadine or knit tie is acceptable during the summer, or does it look weird?

Dbc0919

Reaction score
Thank you patrickBOOTH. Feeling better about my choice now. I'm almost exclusively a blues and grays guys, so I should be o.k.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Does anybody have an opinion of whether a grenadine or knit tie is acceptable during the summer, or does it look weird?

I have a cream colored, cotton S/S suit with which I almost exclusively wear my navy knit tie. I think the weave/knit look makes it appear quite light and airy, thus making it a nice compliment to warm weather suits.

I will say, however, navy or cream knits/grenadines are the only colors I'd think would look good in warmer months. Because both constructions typically have a number of deep reds, purples and greens, I stick to navy or cream.

Last edited:

GamaH

Reaction score
I have a question about boat shoes. I noticed that quite a few brands sell boat shoes made from suede. Given that boat shoes are meant to get wet, isn't the shoe being made of suede going to be a problem?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Silk knit ties can be somewhat casual, but are definitely appropriate year 'round.

Grenadines tend to be somewhat more formal, and are also appropriate year 'round.

Naturally, not all colors are as well suited to one season as to another, but that's true for all manner of ties (and various other clothing items), isn't it?

And with due respect to Boubonbasted's preferences, a burgundy silk knit tie can look great with a tan suit in summer. (Even a black knit tie can look very smart with a tan or khaki summer suit, although it's just uncommon enough a pairing these days that not every man will be comfortable with it.)

I'll add that I'm a huge fan of silk knit ties, and of Grenadines. Not only do they not look at all weird when worn in summer, but they can, in fact, look quite handsome. They represent additional necktie textures, which can be handy to have available year 'round. And while both are time tested and traditionally acceptable, they're just enough out of the ordinary that you might even get a compliment or two for wearing them.

I've also been thinking of maybe buying myself a couple of grenadine pocket squares. I know that Sam Hober offers a variety of them.
--
Michael

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given that boat shoes are meant to get wet, isn't the shoe being made of suede going to be a problem?

I strongly suspect that most boat shoes are seldom, if ever, worn on a boat.

A suede boat shoe is more likely to be worn on dry land, by someone who likes the way it looks, than it is by a deckhand on a fishing boat, or even by a weekend sailor.
--
Michael

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

have you ever heard about a 2 roll 1? i believe i am in possession of a thrifted sports coat that has this strange button configuration

That would be odd. Considering you found the coat in a thrift, it's more likely to be a bad press job or the result of poor storage/handling. It's not uncommon to see rolls disfigured, and usually a trip to a good cleaner can put them right. Just make sure to point out the issue.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a good look.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is shortening a Chesterfield coat by a 1-1.5" a bad idea?

How tall are you? How long is the coat? Pics? Sounds fine in theory, though.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

How tall are you? How long is the coat? Pics? Sounds fine in theory, though.

I'm 6'3". The coat extends to the top edge of my knee cap. The length of the vent is 14.25". It's this Rugby Ralph Lauren Chesterfield, but in navy. The model seems to be wearing a regular length, while mine is 40L, hence mine hits lower on my leg. I picked the jacket up for $150 on ebay, so it was a pretty good deal for me. I'd like to work with it instead of reselling it because I don't think I can find a better option for the price. It fits great otherwise. I'd just like it a bit shorter.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a question about boat shoes. I noticed that quite a few brands sell boat shoes made from suede. Given that boat shoes are meant to get wet, isn't the shoe being made of suede going to be a problem?

Suede isn't actually all that easily damaged. Just a rather persistent myth. In fact, the best way to clean a stain out of suede is to stick it under a faucet and brush.

The only real concern with suede and water is that the water evaporating can leave spots, which look awkward. But that can brush out, and if it doesn't, you can wet the entire shoe and let it dry evenly.

http://leffot.com/2010/04/06/clean-your-suede/

GamaH

Reaction score

Suede isn't actually all that easily damaged. Just a rather persistent myth. In fact, the best way to clean a stain out of suede is to stick it under a faucet and brush.
The only real concern with suede and water is that the water evaporating can leave spots, which look awkward. But that can brush out, and if it doesn't, you can wet the entire shoe and let it dry evenly.
http://leffot.com/2010/04/06/clean-your-suede/

Thank you. It's been raining here quite a bit, and I was afraid that if I bought a pair of boat shoes in suede, they were going to be ruined the first day I wore them or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads