• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Paradox_SWE

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am just curious about getting my hands on some pocket knife holder from either Alden och other Shell cordovan manufacture. Are there any retailers online? i got in contact with Alden shop in NY but they would charge me 90 US for shippment to Sweden and that is not including tax ( 25%). Anyone who could recommend other stores i can e-mail or get in contact with? Best regards from overseas!

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would wear them the shoes on the left on the Amalfi coast if I was driving an old Aston Martin with no socks.

+1... but you forgot the hot Italian babe riding shotgun! :happy:

Beastmode101

Reaction score
question regarding collars and face type

I've done my research on collars and which ones go with which face shape. I'd like to wear spread collars but I don't think they'll fit my face shape, seeing as to how my face is sorta square/boxy.

Are point collars and button down collars my only options? I know they look better on me cause they help to elongate my face. Just sucks to know my options are limited :/

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regarding true 3 button suits:

Is it acceptable for the top button not being buttoned?

Just a picture of a random true 3 button jacket for illustration purposes:

Also, is it possible to alter a suit from a true 3 button to a 3 roll 2 or 2 1/2?

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1... but you forgot the hot Italian babe riding shotgun!
happy.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a picture of a random true 3 button jacket for illustration purposes:

Also, is it possible to alter a suit from a true 3 button to a 3 roll 2 or 2 1/2?

Button the middle or top 2, your choice. I wouldn't try to convert a 3 button to a 3 roll 2 as yuo would have to lengthen the lapel.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

question regarding collars and face type

I've done my research on collars and which  ones go with which face shape.  I'd like to wear spread collars but I don't think they'll fit my face shape, seeing as to how my face is sorta square/boxy.

Are point collars and button down collars my only options?  I know they look better on me cause they help to elongate my face. Just sucks to know my options are limited :/

These are guides. You can still wear a spread collar.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just a picture of a random true 3 button jacket for illustration purposes:Also, is it possible to alter a suit from a true 3 button to a 3 roll 2 or 2 1/2?

It is not possible, the collar and the chest innards have to be totally different.

Seems like this question comes up once a week.

collegeguy88

Reaction score
I own one navy suit and black oxfords and belt. Someone told me my belt sucked. Could someone please link me to a nice dress belt (aka STAPLE) that will look like it cost more than $50 but less than $500?

If you want to go all out, I'm also considering getting brown oxfords and a brown belt and would appreciate tips on that belt (definitely going to get either Allen-Edmonds or Aldends) and I also have a charcoal suit on my radar.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7801C_1_40000000001_-1

are AE bayfield boots suitable for real hiking? or are they more for looks and not real function?

i've been thinking about going hiking with some friends (they go regularly)
but i don't want to buy hiking boots or shoes that are solely for that purpose as it'll only be an occasional trip for me
so if the AE boots can actually stand up to getting roughed up and climbing over dirt and rock paths and such, then i'd rather get these to serve more than 1 purpose

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

are AE bayfield boots suitable for real hiking? or are they more for looks and not real function?
but i don't want to buy hiking boots or shoes that are solely for that purpose as it'll only be an occasional trip for me
so if the AE boots can actually stand up to getting roughed up and climbing over dirt and rock paths and such, then i'd rather get these to serve more than 1 purpose

I am sure you could, but they will be pretty beat up. I don't see the point in wearing an urban dress boot for hiking though. Just get Doc Martens.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Get real hiking boots. While modern materials and technology don't do a whole lot for the charm, appearance and purpose of dress shoes they have greatly improved technical footwear and apparel. Take it from a grunt, you only go as for as your boots will take you so get the right ones.

brett.

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Paul Smith York Boots in a size UK 8. I usually wear a US 10, but I've been told that they fit "big". Well, the length is good, but they are rather tight throughout. Should I expect these to stretch to a more comfortable fit with wear, or am I doomed?

Last edited:

acconrad

Reaction score

If he's pairing a black tie with something else, like the blog's tan suit or something "sartorial" he's obviously not at a point where he needs to ask for advice on the beginners thread.

I have a navy suit and a tan suit, and the only time I could see wearing the black tie would be with a tan suit and white shirt or some other "sartorial" combination as you've referred...it's not that I need advice, I just obsess over versatility and I literally want someone else to make the decision for me :)

thanks for the input!

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy suit and a tan suit, and the only time I could see wearing the black tie would be with a tan suit and white shirt or some other "sartorial" combination as you've referred...it's not that I need advice, I just obsess over versatility and I literally want someone else to make the decision for me
smile.gif

thanks for the input!

I'm glad to have contributed whatever I may have. Burgundy and navy are my two favorite colors, and go with pretty much anything, anyway. Enjoy the kopping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads