Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Paradox_SWE

Paradox_SWE Member

Hi everybody,

I am just curious about getting my hands on some pocket knife holder from either Alden och other Shell cordovan manufacture. Are there any retailers online? i got in contact with Alden shop in NY but they would charge me 90 US for shippment to Sweden and that is not including tax ( 25%). Anyone who could recommend other stores i can e-mail or get in contact with? Best regards from overseas!

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1... but you forgot the hot Italian babe riding shotgun! :happy:

3. Beastmode101

Beastmode101 Member

question regarding collars and face type

I've done my research on collars and which ones go with which face shape. I'd like to wear spread collars but I don't think they'll fit my face shape, seeing as to how my face is sorta square/boxy.

Are point collars and button down collars my only options? I know they look better on me cause they help to elongate my face. Just sucks to know my options are limited :/

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Question regarding true 3 button suits:

Is it acceptable for the top button not being buttoned?

Just a picture of a random true 3 button jacket for illustration purposes:

[​IMG]

Also, is it possible to alter a suit from a true 3 button to a 3 roll 2 or 2 1/2?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

[​IMG]

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Button the middle or top 2, your choice. I wouldn't try to convert a 3 button to a 3 roll 2 as yuo would have to lengthen the lapel.

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

These are guides. You can still wear a spread collar.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is not possible, the collar and the chest innards have to be totally different.

Seems like this question comes up once a week.

9. collegeguy88

collegeguy88 Well-Known Member

I own one navy suit and black oxfords and belt. Someone told me my belt sucked. Could someone please link me to a nice dress belt (aka STAPLE) that will look like it cost more than $50 but less than $500?

If you want to go all out, I'm also considering getting brown oxfords and a brown belt and would appreciate tips on that belt (definitely going to get either Allen-Edmonds or Aldends) and I also have a charcoal suit on my radar.

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7801C_1_40000000001_-1

are AE bayfield boots suitable for real hiking? or are they more for looks and not real function?

i've been thinking about going hiking with some friends (they go regularly)
    but i don't want to buy hiking boots or shoes that are solely for that purpose as it'll only be an occasional trip for me
    so if the AE boots can actually stand up to getting roughed up and climbing over dirt and rock paths and such, then i'd rather get these to serve more than 1 purpose

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am sure you could, but they will be pretty beat up. I don't see the point in wearing an urban dress boot for hiking though. Just get Doc Martens.

12. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Get real hiking boots. While modern materials and technology don't do a whole lot for the charm, appearance and purpose of dress shoes they have greatly improved technical footwear and apparel. Take it from a grunt, you only go as for as your boots will take you so get the right ones.

13. brett.

brett. Active Member

I just bought a pair of Paul Smith York Boots in a size UK 8. I usually wear a US 10, but I've been told that they fit "big". Well, the length is good, but they are rather tight throughout. Should I expect these to stretch to a more comfortable fit with wear, or am I doomed?

14. acconrad

acconrad Senior member

I have a navy suit and a tan suit, and the only time I could see wearing the black tie would be with a tan suit and white shirt or some other "sartorial" combination as you've referred...it's not that I need advice, I just obsess over versatility and I literally want someone else to make the decision for me :)

thanks for the input!

15. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

I'm glad to have contributed whatever I may have. Burgundy and navy are my two favorite colors, and go with pretty much anything, anyway. Enjoy the kopping.