1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. James77

James77 Active Member

^ Thanks harvey, that helps quite a bit.

2. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Could someone post the link for Manton's (at least, I think it was Manton's) "Good Taste" thread? I've searched, but I can't find it :-/

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

1 person likes this.
  4. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

I apologize in advance for the bad pictures, sadly I no longer have a photographer.

three options,

1) the shirt is too long
    2) the jacket is too short
    3) looks fine

the second picture is taken at 'handshake' level and extension just for comparison

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. oenone

oenone New Member

Reposting a from a thread I made earlier, sorry about that! I can delete the old one if you want.

My question:
    Hey guys, I got this blazer at a bargain price yesterday. It says in the item description that it is 'canvassed', but I am not so sure. I will cancel the order if it is fused. I know it is from the 'signature silver' line with a number 1450/1-401183 (fabric/item i think) associated with it. However, I have not been able to find a definitive answer to my question. Anyone familiar with this line/blazer? Thanks!

6. Trinitrogen Oxide

Trinitrogen Oxide Active Member

Are suede Chukkas like Alden's Flex Welt appropriate for year round wear, or do they have a "season"

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

How does one avoid looking like a security guard when matching lighter pants with darker blazers (or darker blazers with lighter pants...sometimes they both make me think of security guards)?

Since there are probably a lot of ways to answer this question, perhaps I should ask it it reverse: what would one do to look like a security guard when combining blazers with slacks?

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

If the quality of the garments and accessories is there. the fit spot on, and the shoes something not black, you will not look like a security guard.

2 people like this.
  9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You can wear suede year 'round, although Chukkas are a bit of a heavier shoe so I would think they would be most comfortable in fall and winter. Just keep them out of the rain and snow.

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Make sure the blazer is two sizes too big. Carry a flashlight. Harass teenagers loitering outside the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

11. Gneisenau

Gneisenau Member

Exactly what is the difference between PT01's slim fit and bespoke fit? The bespoke fit seems a tiny bit slimmer. Has anyone got any information on this?

12. jamuk

jamuk New Member

Anyone know where this shirt is from?
    Anyone know where this shirt is from?

[​IMG]

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Looking at picking up a cardigan. I have found a Harry Rosen $70 made in Italy merino wool and a $150 made in Scotland lambswool Howard Yount. My question is, is merino or lambswool necessarily better than the other?

14. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

IMO lambswool is gonna last you loner, merino can lose its shape fairly quickly and will pill easier. hence the price difference. but you could always buy 2 colors in merino, etc etc

15. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

which will look better with denim, balmoral boots or jodphurs? I need a pair of boots mostly for wear with suits and slacks with odd jackets, which either would work with, but I am curious what people think about the versatility of each. I'm leaning towards jodphur now.

16. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Not necessarily, no. Sometimes, at a given price point, the lambswool will be better, and other times the merino will be better. Heck, at certain price points (particularly the more modest ones), lambswool or merino may be better than cashmere, too. Plus, a lot depends on how you define "better." Are you looking for comfort, weight, color, warmth, durability, or what? (In practice, of course, most people look for some specific combination of qualities.)

If you can examine the sweaters in person, figuring out which one is more to your liking is pretty easy.

If you can't examine them in person, well, I guess there are two ways to look at it -

Way #1 is "It's a crap shoot, since I'm buying sight unseen. I'd rather risk $70, than risk $150, so I'll buy the merino."

Way #2 is, "The lambswool is priced more than twice as high as the merino. Assuming even a loose connection between price and quality, that suggests the $150 sweater is better than the $70 sweater. I'll buy the lambswool."

And JBMarce21's point is valid, too. Even if the $150 sweater does turn out to be nicer than the $70 sweater, will it be nicer than two of the $70 sweaters?

Me? I prefer merino, simply because it tends to be a little thinner than lambswool, and is more comfortable to me. But that's just my preference; maybe you like a heavier sweater, or a warmer one. I'd add that I find virtually no sweater to be itchy, but if you are sensitive to itchiness, merino tends to be less itchy than lambswool. Again, these are just generalities - they don't mean that a specific merino wool sweater will appeal to me more than a specific lambswool sweater. Moreover, my preferences are based on the sort of sweaters I wear - almost always v-necks. I haven't worn a cardigan in years. So, again, your situation does differ from my own.

Still can't decide? Then buy the sweater offered by the merchant with the better return policy. :)

Finally, I'll mention that while Jos. A. Bank gets lots of criticism around here - and often deservedly so - I own a couple of JAB merino wool Signature v-neck sweaters, and am pleased with them. 'Course, I didn't pay the $100 "everyday" price, but instead picked them up for about $25 each, due to a sale and a coupon. So if anyone's thinking of buying some merino v-necks, and there's a 70% off sale on these, they're worth considering. Just saying, is all. (And no, they're not particularly trim fit. If that's what you're after, well, to each his own.)
    --
    Michael

17. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

In my exp, lambswool is warmer, has less stretch and pills a bit less than merino wool; in most cases its also thicker than merino.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  18. patrickBOOTH

Balmoral boots are a much safer bet for suits and slacks. They are the most formal footwear you can have (pre WWI at least). Jodphurs are more acceptable for casual wear.

19. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Is this a true 3 button or a 3 roll 2?

[​IMG]

20. patrickBOOTH