• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7801C_1_40000000001_-1
are AE bayfield boots suitable for real hiking? or are they more for looks and not real function?
i've been thinking about going hiking with some friends (they go regularly)
but i don't want to buy hiking boots or shoes that are solely for that purpose as it'll only be an occasional trip for me
so if the AE boots can actually stand up to getting roughed up and climbing over dirt and rock paths and such, then i'd rather get these to serve more than 1 purpose

I actually use them for exactly that. They take some time to break in, but I prefer them to my other hiking boots now. I wore them exclusively on a week long trip to Alaska last summer.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1... it doesn't make sense to use those for hiking Romeo, occasional or not. There are plenty of places you could pick up decent actual hiking boots for around $150 (or even less if you hunt for a deal) and have much more reliable, safer footwear.

I'd say just pick up a versatile pair of Merrells for all your outdoor needs. I have a pair of Moab trail shoes by them that survived 27 miles on the Inca Trail and are still going strong.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A "random" blog?! :facepalm: That just shows your ignorance. The author of that blog is respected as an expert in menswear.

He's a blogger. Bloggers post opinions, and on this one there's no ironclad right or wrong answer. The problem is that you posted this as your entire response:

Anyone who takes any blogger's opinion on something this subjective as an indisputable fact is a sheep begging to be shorn. And now you're going to call someone ignorant because he doesn't share your idolatry?

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a young guy who is new in his career and is just looking for a first "real" suit. I get away with business casual at work and don't have to wear a suit. I work work at a tech start-up, so people dress like computer nerds, and i'll only be wear the suit once in a while. I'd like to get a slim model suit and am willing to spend $400 - $800. I'd like to find a local store to go and have them measure my proportions, but the only store I can find in the Denver, CO area is:

http://www.andrisenmorton.com/index.html

http://www.garmentdistrictcolorado.com/men/men.html

http://homerreedltd.com/homer_reed_2011_002.htm

http://www.lawrencecovell.com/

http://www.tedsclothiers.com/about.cfm

http://www.theregimentshops.com/

I know nothing about suit brands, and specifically the one's mentioned on that site, but can anyone make any suggestions?

Would it be better just to go to a Brooks Brother?

Help!

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually use them for exactly that. They take some time to break in, but I prefer them to my other hiking boots now. I wore them exclusively on a week long trip to Alaska last summer.

can you post some pics of your boots after actual outdoor use?

not going to buy them (my size is gone online anyway)
it was just a fleeting thought

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

can you post some pics of your boots after actual outdoor use?
not going to buy them (my size is gone online anyway)
it was just a fleeting thought

I've posted these elsewhere. Again, it takes a while to break in, so if you're only doing this as an occasional hobby they might not be the best bet for you. But I love them.

These were taken shortly after my return from Alaska and a good cleaning.

bayfield01.jpg

bayfield02.jpg

And of Alaska itself, it was really beautiful.

10150242158628676.jpg

10150242158523676.jpg

download.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a young guy who is new in his career and is just looking for a first "real" suit. I get away with business casual at work and don't have to wear a suit. I work work at a tech start-up, so people dress like computer nerds, and i'll only be wear the suit once in a while. I'd like to get a slim model suit and am willing to spend $400 - $800. I'd like to find a local store to go and have them measure my proportions, but the only store I can find in the Denver, CO area is:

Would it be better just to go to a Brooks Brother?

Help!

Why not consult both brothers?
But seriously, folks, BB on sale will give you a decent suit in your price range. Try the Fitzgerald model.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did you read my post? Because that's not what I said, and nowhere did  I imply it is an abomination.

He asked which two ties would be more versatile, and which we would recommend. I said I recommended the navy and the burgundy, not the black one, because black is associated with funerals even if grenadine is not.

Your original post said, "Black ties are for funerals, grenadine is not." There's no "even if" in there. Based on that, since it's a black tie, it should be only worn to funerals, but it shouldn't be worn to funerals since it's a grenadine. So it can't be worn anywhere and is useless. This is the implication of your original post. Point being just be careful about how you word things. This isn't cable news punditry where you have to make everything seem 100% certain with no gray area. My advice, which I kept to myself because I have no experience with grenadine ties, would have been, "there's nothing wrong with a black grenadine tie, but navy and burgundy are more versatile and traditional, so if I'm only getting two, I'd get those." But I'd definitely prefer to get that advice from someone with a good reputation or a history of posting quality fits.

Spurious

Reaction score
Jesus this is AIDS.

Solve it via PM, I dont care about your semantics argument. /off-topic

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're arguing with me "based on" the "implications" of advice you agreed with, called me ignorant, accused me of being poorly dressed, and said I need to be more aware of how I phrase things?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're giving advice on $80 bespoke ties when you are, admittedly, are both a beginner and have a limited budget. I'm a beginner too, and I come here to get advice from people who know what they're talking about, not people in the same situation as me. I try to keep my mouth shut unless it's something I actually have experience in and I'm not just regurgitating something I read. (The first post said "wrong" just to show that there's nothing inherently wrong with wearing a black grenadine tie, which is what your post made it sound like.) I know who I'll take advice from, and I know who's advice I'll ignore or take with a grain of salt. I just wish more of the experienced and reputable posters would answer questions in this thread, and beginners would not give advice on things they have no experience with. That's all.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL at Liam O and CruzAzul calling Will Boehlke a "random blogger." A Suitable Wardrobe is very influential in the blogosphere.

black is associated with funerals even if grenadine is not.

Liam O, stop talking out of your ass. You speak very authoritatively on this issue, but your own fit pics are not very good. I agree with what Van Veen has said about "the blind leading the blind."

A solid black tie is actually very versatile. Not associated with funeral. Works well with navy, gray, brown, tan, and olive suits.

n2jur5.jpg

Last edited:

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL at Liam O and CruzAzul calling Will Boehlke a "random blogger."

Except that I said no such thing.

And "influential" doesn't make one's opinion is God's Holy Word. Hell, Rush Limbaugh is "influential" but that bloated colostomy bag couldn't say something truthful if his life depended on it.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the "Ask a question, get a answer" thread. Can we get back to this thread, please?

You all are frightening the noobs away, forcing them to create endless iterations of the same thread elsewhere.

For shame SF... :plain:

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the "Ask a question, get a answer" thread. Can we get back to this thread, please?

You all are frightening the noobs away, forcing them to create endless iterations of the same thread elsewhere.

For shame SF...
plain.gif

I think the general SF consensus is that threads should be gotten back to, but it might just be SF groupthink. Remember, style is subjective.

Good to see that you're taking the first step to becoming stylish! Keep posting!

oh, wait... this wasn't a legit "ask a question, get an answer" question.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads