• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
How do I know if I'm feeling some kind of lining in a suit jacket or if its actually canvas?
'Lining' is the smooth silky stuff (usually made of rayon/bemberg/etc) which is visible covering parts of the inside of a coat, used to add warmth and to make it slide on easier. Lining is attached with pleats and ease to give it a certain amount of looseness. 'Canvas' is rougher fabric which is used to add body to the fabric, attached without ease to the rear side of the main fabric, usually (but not always, if there's minimal or no lining) enclosed and not visible from the inside. Any non-fusible used to add body in this way is referred to as 'canvas', even though many of the fabrics used may not technically be canvasses. If you're asking how to tell the difference between a fused and a canvassed coat front, then this has been discussed countless times, but the most common method is the 'pinch test' (do a search).

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thank you, I know how to tell the difference between fused and canvas, but I was recently feeling some suit jackets and I couldn't tell if what I was feeling in the middle was lining or canvas.

Edit: My issue was that I'd find some HF suits priced in the same range but some would be fused and some "felt" full canvas. I always though canvas suits were much more expensive.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesecondprize
Rookie tailoring questions...

My closest OTR jacket size is 38S. According to a pre-SF fitting at J Press, it's actually good fit for OTR, requiring only a minor adjustment to one sleeve. But I have trouble finding 38S in my price range, while 38R teases me with their availability.

So: generally speaking, is it advisable to purchase an OTR 38R and get it altered to something more like a 38S? How much might a decent tailor charge for such alterations? Should I shop for 38S only?

It's really going to depend on the manufacturer. Some 38R will be easy to alter to fit a 38S. But some won't be becuase of button height, pocket location, etc. The best policy is to take the item to a tailor you trust and ask his/her opinion.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesecondprize
Rookie tailoring questions...

My closest OTR jacket size is 38S. According to a pre-SF fitting at J Press, it's actually good fit for OTR, requiring only a minor adjustment to one sleeve. But I have trouble finding 38S in my price range, while 38R teases me with their availability.

So: generally speaking, is it advisable to purchase an OTR 38R and get it altered to something more like a 38S? How much might a decent tailor charge for such alterations? Should I shop for 38S only?

yea bro just get as close to your size as you can and let a tailor do the rest. if your making a lot of changes to the jacket then it can get pretty pricey though. here's your plan; find a reputable tailor where you live (one that speaks english so you can understand garment jargon) and inquire about prices and fit.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It's really going to depend on the manufacturer. Some 38R will be easy to alter to fit a 38S. But some won't be becuase of button height, pocket location, etc. The best policy is to take the item to a tailor you trust and ask his/her opinion.

+1

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
^ Thank you, I know how to tell the difference between fused and canvas, but I was recently feeling some suit jackets and I couldn't tell if what I was feeling in the middle was lining or canvas.

Edit: My issue was that I'd find some HF suits priced in the same range but some would be fused and some "felt" full canvas. I always though canvas suits were much more expensive.

You can just pinch somewhere there is no lining. Like the Lapel. And it is pretty obvious if it is the lining since the lining is the inner surface. Canvas is also much more rigid than lining - which is usually silk.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gauss17
I asked this in the wrong forum on accident before:

I know you are supposed to match the general color of your belt to your shoes, but that the color ideally should not match your shoes exactly. Also, I have been told that your belt should be a darker shade of said color than your shoes, is this generally true?

If so, I am finding a very difficult time finding a dark burgundy to match my Alden No. 8 PTBs without just buying the cordovan belt directly from Alden (pretty much the closest match, but some say that too "matchy matchy" is a bad thing). I have found several sources around and on SF that have nice burgundy belts, but not in a darker shade than the Alden No. 8.

Is there a possible darker shade than the Alden no. 8 and is going with the cordovan belt actually a poor choice?

Don't worry about it. Get something burgundy-y and it's probably fine. The distance between shoes and belt is (standing) quite big, the light falls differently etcetera.

erk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erk
Outer Shoe measurments... what are they really good for, and where are they taken?

Presumably, one can have several great fitting shoes with significantly different outer measurements.

bump... anyone?
revolve.gif

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timmbo
I'm looking for a dark brown grenadine tie (a la http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-ga...ilk-tie-6.html) but I'm on a tight (student) budget. Where can I find a cheaper alternative? Everywhere I look only have 'knit' ties which have square/flat ends, which I'm not interested in. I'm in the UK if this makes things easier!

Join the search my man. Grenadines cost more for a reason.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erk
Outer Shoe measurments... what are they really good for, and where are they taken?

Presumably, one can have several great fitting shoes with significantly different outer measurements.

This is all true. Shoe measurements like this are useless.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erk
Outer Shoe measurments... what are they really good for, and where are they taken? Presumably, one can have several great fitting shoes with significantly different outer measurements.
Outersole measurement is quite useless in general since shoes have different lasts and constructions. That said, for English shoes (mostly goodyear construction), their sizing can be confusing (for example, Church's sometimes use UK sizing, sometimes US sizing, so your 9E Church's can be different, same goes for Edward Green for American market, 8.5/9E can means US 8.5D/UK 9E or US 8.5E/UK 9F). In this case, the outersole measurement comes in handy, since people can compare with their own shoes that have the same construction/similar last. There are many other instances that these measurements are good for. For example, some Italian shoes are sized oddly, they can fit 2 size bigger, this measurement will let us know what sizing system they're using. For example, an 8D Bontoni with width measurement of 4.5"+ is clearly about 2 size up, so I am not gonna buy them. For a perfect fit, one just have to visit the store and try them on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads